Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 09:57 AM

20 posts, read 26,686 times

Advertisements

Yep, I'm well aware how old this thread is but in my defense, it does come up in recent Phoenix forums. I would also like to know how many of those people 2 1/2 yrs. ago that didn't think it was neccessary to close their windows, still maintain that way of thinking? Also, I've heard that some scorpions are only 1/8" long and can squeeze in around the sreens. Is this true, or is this one of those things that it's just fun to scare the 'newbies' with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 10:35 AM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swsunlovers View Post
Yep, I'm well aware how old this thread is but in my defense, it does come up in recent Phoenix forums. I would also like to know how many of those people 2 1/2 yrs. ago that didn't think it was neccessary to close their windows, still maintain that way of thinking? Also, I've heard that some scorpions are only 1/8" long and can squeeze in around the sreens. Is this true, or is this one of those things that it's just fun to scare the 'newbies' with?
Interesting question, SWSunLovers.

As for OPEN vs CLOSED windows during the night . . . what type of critter or critters are you attempting to avoid?

If you are referring to Two Legged Critters, I feel comfortable leaving my windows open because I have wrought iron security bars throughout my home.

If "multi-legged" critters are the issue, those little buggers have a way of getting inside no matter how secure our homes are.

Bottom line . . . windows do not discourage the little critters.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:31 PM

115 posts, read 291,312 times
I live in Central Phoenix and I sleep with my windows open usually from the middle of Sept. through October then in late March through the middle of May. I do have bars on my windows. As far as other critters are concerned, as one poster stated, they are going to get in even if the windows were closed.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:23 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,249 times
I have lived in the valley for 15 years and have always slept with the windows open - all winter anyway. And I do not have bars on the windows!!

Old 11-16-2010, 06:31 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,845,111 times
Yes, windows open at night in my room. It is on the second floor, so not worried about having bars on the windows....and not worried about critters...but I did find a good-sized camel spider in the garage a few weeks ago...We saved him in a jar for a few days, then I took him a mile or so away in the desert and let him go

Old 11-16-2010, 09:39 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,078,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Yes, windows open at night in my room. It is on the second floor, so not worried about having bars on the windows....and not worried about critters...but I did find a good-sized camel spider in the garage a few weeks ago...We saved him in a jar for a few days, then I took him a mile or so away in the desert and let him go
Ish Granny, well at they eat the roaches
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6V4K...DjEure=related

Old 11-16-2010, 10:08 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,868,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelz0097 View Post
One should never ever sleep with the window open even on the 2nd floor of any house or apt. in any city. You people obviously don't watch Forensic files. You're basically making it easy or easier for someone to invite themselves into your home. If you think it can't or won't happen to you think again.
Getting inside a window on the 2nd floor is VERY difficult. Unless they are carrying a ladder with them, I don't see how they would scale a flat wall unless they are Spiderman.

Also, if someone REALLY wanted to get inside a home, they can pick a lock (quiet), cut a window (quiet), break the door down, break a window, even break through the wall (95% of AZ homes ARE NOT sheared/plywood - one can literally kick through the stucco/styrofoam and get inside)

I would NOT recommend leaving a 1st floor window open UNLESS it has a stop in it which prevents the window from opening fully to fit a human body.

In the end, train yourself and get a gun for personal protection. A gun in the hands of a properly trained 100LB women will stop a 300LB man.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:38 PM

24,448 posts, read 25,984,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
(95% of AZ homes ARE NOT sheared/plywood - one can literally kick through the stucco/styrofoam and get inside)
I don't think you can kick your way thru stucco.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:45 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,820,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
I don't think you can kick your way thru stucco.
Really. You also have wire mesh embedded in the stucco, not to mention house studs every 16".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area