Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 12:26 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,477,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
He wanted a 250' tower in an area that has buildings about half that size now. And you're talking about obstructing long time residents views of camelback and piestawa peak. Hell yes people get pissed about that, this was "we the people" standing up for what they believed in and the little guys one. This was way out of character and Trump came in demanding to have his way. I'm as pro urban development as it gets but Biltmore area is not downtown nor was it ever meant to be. Had he proposed this downtown it would have likely been just fine.

His attitude and business style is what turned many Phoeniians off and continues to do so in his current stint for our support.
If money can be made/both sides benefit, "attitude" and "business style" means zero. This is reality. Anyone working in the business world will tell you this. This is not for people who personalize things and if it becomes personal, you will not succeed as this isn't a thin skinned persons game to be in. It is and always has been about the bottom line. And perhaps politics/power, someone gaining or losing it.

In my view, what happened here:

1.) One or both sides wouldn't have made out good $ wise on the deal

and/or

2.) Someone(s) political power was at stake.

The rest is N/A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 01:03 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,279,725 times
I distinctly remember the protests against the Trump "tower" (and I use that word loosely because it would have only been 20 stories maximum). This is my neighborhood, and while I saw no problem with a development like this, a fair share of my neighbors did. They fought tooth & nail to stop something that would actually enhance the area, and even increase property values. But no, the idiotic NIMBYs would rather have a vacant building going to pot, so long as they could have their mountain views ... which they still would have anyway regardless if the "tower" was built or not.

The building would not have been out of scale for the area, contrary to the arguments of the NIMBY types (many of whom are recent transplants). I would love to simply ignore these types because they are essentially losers who have no purpose in life except meddling. All they seem to care about is gawking at the mountains, instead of important things like jobs. The problem is NIMBYs are troublemakers, and they get involved in matters that are none of their concern, especially when they obviously have no financial stakes in the developments they protest. This makes it difficult to simply ignore NIMBYs.

I'm no fan of Trump personally ... in fact, I'm the first to admit that he's an arrogant jerk, but I'm in full agreement with AZRiverfan. The development would have been a boost for the area, and not out of scale because many of the other buildings on east Camelback are midrises ... this development would have fit in perfectly. It's not like a 60 story skyscraper was planned for this area.

Old 03-19-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I distinctly remember the protests against the Trump "tower" (and I use that word loosely because it would have only been 20 stories maximum). This is my neighborhood, and while I saw no problem with a development like this, a fair share of my neighbors did. They fought tooth & nail to stop something that would actually enhance the area, and even increase property values. But no, the idiotic NIMBYs would rather have a vacant building going to pot, so long as they could have their mountain views ... which they still would have anyway regardless if the "tower" was built or not.

The building would not have been out of scale for the area, contrary to the arguments of the NIMBY types (many of whom are recent transplants). I would love to simply ignore these types because they are essentially losers who have no purpose in life except meddling. All they seem to care about is gawking at the mountains, instead of important things like jobs. The problem is NIMBYs are troublemakers, and they get involved in matters that are none of their concern, especially when they obviously have no financial stakes in the developments they protest. This makes it difficult to simply ignore NIMBYs.

I'm no fan of Trump personally ... in fact, I'm the first to admit that he's an arrogant jerk, but I'm in full agreement with AZRiverfan. The development would have been a boost for the area, and not out of scale because many of the other buildings on east Camelback are midrises ... this development would have fit in perfectly. It's not like a 60 story skyscraper was planned for this area.
With this attitude, I always wondered how the former mid rise ritz carlton hotel in that same area(forgot what it recently changed ownership to) ever got approved. Perhaps it was there "forever" but surprised the pitchforks didn't come out for that one. Recent attitude change/different set of people now living in that area over the past decade or so perhaps is the difference?

Old 03-19-2016, 04:21 PM

770 posts, read 838,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
The Cine Capri and the Hard Rock Cafe were at two different locations. The Cine Capri was torn down to make way for new buildings that had nothing to do with Trump. His proposed development was on the old site of the Hard Rock Cafe a few blocks to the east.
I wasn't paying attention at the time all I remember is the NIMBY's crying about their precious views. WAh Wah

Old 03-19-2016, 04:41 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,279,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
With this attitude, I always wondered how the former mid rise ritz carlton hotel in that same area(forgot what it recently changed ownership to) ever got approved. Perhaps it was there "forever" but surprised the pitchforks didn't come out for that one. Recent attitude change/different set of people now living in that area over the past decade or so perhaps is the difference?
I think it's called the Camby now. It was part of the Symington Esplanade project that got started in the 1980s. I'm not sure why there wasn't any protest over that because it definitely changed the skyline of the area (even though they were only midrise buildings) ... and NIMBYs have unfortunately been around in some way for as long as I can remember. Maybe there was some minor opposition at the time which didn't go very far.

All I know is that Phoenix will keep growing, and it will be in the form of all kinds of development ... everything from the suburban master planned community to more dense urban living. The latter has increased in demand over the last few years, so there's no reason for all the opposition. Jobs and economic prosperity take precedence over mountain views in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
I wasn't paying attention at the time all I remember is the NIMBY's crying about their precious views. WAh Wah
That was exactly my reaction: WAAAAH WAAAAH! The poor crybaby NIMBYs are upset about their views obstructed by big ol' bad development. Boo hoo, bring me a box of Kleenex. Doesn't it seem ironic that they're so adamant about keeping their "beautiful" mountain views in tact, but they don't seem to mind their views of ugly vacant lots and dilapidated vacant buildings? I wish I could put every NIMBY in a cannon and blast 'em all outta here!

Old 03-19-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I think it's called the Camby now. It was part of the Symington Esplanade project that got started in the 1980s. I'm not sure why there wasn't any protest over that because it definitely changed the skyline of the area (even though they were only midrise buildings) ... and NIMBYs have unfortunately been around in some way for as long as I can remember. Maybe there was some minor opposition at the time which didn't go very far.

All I know is that Phoenix will keep growing, and it will be in the form of all kinds of development ... everything from the suburban master planned community to more dense urban living. The latter has increased in demand over the last few years, so there's no reason for all the opposition. Jobs and economic prosperity take precedence over mountain views in my opinion.
Overall I do agree, especially when there are so many areas that one can live in our metro with such views that come with high odds that such places will never be developed with high/mid rises.

Old 03-19-2016, 04:54 PM

13,307 posts, read 7,347,454 times
2004 really old news on trump tower here in Phoenix pulling at straws for Trump news.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:48 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,446,263 times
I don't know why the local news even brought it up, except that it's the only story in Phoenix history until this campaign that had anything to do with Trump. I know NIMBYs are azriverfan.'s topic of choice these days, but this IS old news.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
2004 really old news on trump tower here in Phoenix pulling at straws for Trump news.
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I don't know why the local news even brought it up, except that it's the only story in Phoenix history until this campaign that had anything to do with Trump. I know NIMBYs are azriverfan.'s topic of choice these days, but this IS old news.
Just a cash in on the trump thing is my guess. The media has made a ton of money off trump and he's gotten lots of free advertising off them. Most interesting paradox/love fest.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:50 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,742,418 times
[quote=stevek64;43413505]If money can be made/both sides benefit, "attitude" and "business style" means zero. /quote]

If money can be made on both sides there are 4 other people lining up to take that exact same business you're going after. If you're a dick and continually screw over others, nobody is going to be lining up to work with you in the future. I've seen this happen first hand supporting large scale activity for over 15 years. Relationships are HUGE.

Trump came in here with a terrible attitude and look what happened, not a damn thing. Many other developers have managed to get things done by working with the public, he refused to budge. Biltmore was just fine without him and others have managed to make plenty of money in that exact same area of town. Optima comes to mind... and there are many more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: