Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 01:37 AM

7 posts, read 8,894 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am wanting to move to Phoenix and these apartments fit my budget and needs... Calle Central Apartments, below South Mountain...

However on their website it did say that the "area" has Javelina, scorpions, and rattlesnakes in the area.

Should I be concerned or worried that if I rented a apartment from them that I may someday find scorpions in my bed or a rattlesnake???? Do these things usually hang out near apartment complexes?

I've read on this forum that snakes etc are not a worry as long as you don't live on the outskirts where new development is.... is this what they would consider to meet that criteria?

I'm looking at it on the map and it does seem to be very close to the mountain.

I don't plan on walking anywhere around that neighborhood, I will never do any hiking or anything like that, ever. All I want to do is be able to safely sleep in a apartment and go to work each day.

Part of me tells me it must be safe from critters getting inside the apartments or else how could people stand to live there with such a risk, but then again I don't live in AZ yet so that's why I am asking you all your thoughts since you live there and know the areas etc.

I just want to be safe inside my apartment.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 09:24 AM

770 posts, read 837,286 times
Being that close to South Mountain you will have desert animals since this is the desert. I live in Tempe and we have see coyotes in Dwight Park by our house, and there are signs not to feed them. Anyway Scorpions are way over blown you are not going to die if you get stung. Hell living in South Phoenix is more dangerous then living with scorpions.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:05 AM

720 posts, read 734,167 times
Wow - I saw that description in the apartments.com - I believe they are talking about the homes that abutt the mountain - they're certainly setting your expectations!
"Homes in this small subdivision butt up against the open desert of South Mountain Park. Homeowners often go to bed to the sound of coyotes howling at night and awaken to see the animals strolling down the middle of the street. Javelina, rattlesnakes and scorpions also frequent the area."

If you have pest control then that should take care of spiders, and scorpions and other critters l-Javelina as long as you don't have "food" on your porch - they used to come to my neighbors porch all the time I forget what plant was their fave -- also a koi pond was bringing in coyotes and other animals so that got shut down - If you have a cat or small dog- you keep them indoors otherwise an owl or other prey animal will swoop down and grab it!

It's actually a beautiful thing to see wildlife around us- I see a quail family trodding along, or bunnies, tortoise, gorgeous birds, and even coyotes...

Old 03-19-2016, 04:55 PM

710 posts, read 3,391,880 times
That address used to be the 'due south' apartments. Snakes and scorpions would be the last thing I'd worry about

Old 03-20-2016, 08:45 AM

7 posts, read 8,894 times
What about some of these apartments? Are any of these in safer areas, meaning not just from scorpions, but just violent crime also...

Casa De Flores
2454 W Campbell Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85015

Rancho La Fuente
16621 N 25th St, Phoenix, AZ 85032

Woodbridge Apartment Homes
6635 N 19th Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85015

Old 03-21-2016, 10:22 AM

8 posts, read 10,145 times
Scorpion inhabit all southwest deserts, Calif.,Nevada,New Mexico and Arizona. They are nocturnal. No poison kills them it merely kills their food source. Be careful what you pick up off the floor/ground. If you walk around the house at night wear slippers or use a black light to spot them. My wife has been stung three times, it is unbelievably painful and lasts 12 hours, hospitals can only minimize the pain with pain meds.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:55 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,077,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcage View Post
What about some of these apartments? Are any of these in safer areas, meaning not just from scorpions, but just violent crime also...

Casa De Flores

Rancho La Fuente

what is your reason for picking these three random locations?? there has got to be a couple hundred apartment complexes within a your first pick to your other three. (first choice by south mountain, no way.. If critters weren't a problem before, and even though its going to be on the other side of the mountain; if you consider this one again, look into the loop 101 expansion).

Is this a money thing? Frankly these all seem like cheap places. What are you looking for?

Old 03-21-2016, 01:58 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
You want to move to Phoenix, but are completely petrified of the wildlife? Should one want to move to the Everglades and then post about being afraid of gators? lol Just live with the wildlife. Theyre not going to hurt you, nor will they kill you. Id be FAR more worried about the scumbags that roam the streets in that part of town more than anything! Simply do your research on the neighborhoods, make the move, and make the best of it. Dont keep yourself up at night worrying about scorpions, which you most likely will never see.

Old 03-21-2016, 03:48 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,631,909 times
Nickcage, have you looked up north on Deer Valley?

Old 03-21-2016, 03:54 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcage View Post

Casa De Flores

Rancho La Fuente

Woodbridge? No. Just no. Casa de Flores is at the 1-17 and Campbell (no off ramp there, but the freeway's right there.) Not the best. Rancho La Fuente is probably the best of the three, and that is not high praise, but it's probably OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area