Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 12:18 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,612,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdahunt View Post
Mel Gibson's character in the Conspiracy movie had nothing over you....lol

For the record, businesses donating to both parties is not unusual......in a place like NY it may be the only way to get things done.
Just crossed my mind. Trump has alienated too many people to win. I'm probably wrong to assume that no one could be that stupid. It is going to be a wipe out come November. Trump can't win on the white/old/crazy vote alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 12:34 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,283,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Mike View Post
The best argument against Trump being a stalking horse for the Clinton team is that he brought up the Big Unmentionable, the rape allegations against Bill Clinton, and he made fun of Hillary for taking too long in the bathroom at the debate and suggesting she had health problems. No way would he be working for them before or after scoring personal hits against the notoriously thin-skinned Clintons.
The thing is: Trump's battle with the Clintons is minimal compared to his ongoing heated feud with Ted Cruz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Just crossed my mind. Trump has alienated too many people to win. I'm probably wrong to assume that no one could be that stupid. It is going to be a wipe out come November. Trump can't win on the white/old/crazy vote alone.
It's too early to predict the election's outcome at this point. Hillary is getting some stiff competition from Sanders, and she has the email controversy & Benghazi situation going against her. She was a lousy Secretary of State, so there's plenty of doubt (even among some Democrats) if she'll make a good President. Besides, many liberals who would normally support Hillary see her as a big part of the establishment, and that's working against her.

If people really want to support somebody who is not part of the establishment, somebody who will cut a lot of the government waste, somebody who will restore freedom of choice, and somebody who has an ounce of diplomacy, they'll support a third party choice like Johnson. If they want to continue with the same ol' nonsense, they'll vote Dem or GOP.

Old 03-27-2016, 01:07 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,612,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
The thing is: Trump's battle with the Clintons is minimal compared to his ongoing heated feud with Ted Cruz.

It's too early to predict the election's outcome at this point. Hillary is getting some stiff competition from Sanders, and she has the email controversy & Benghazi situation going against her. She was a lousy Secretary of State, so there's plenty of doubt (even among some Democrats) if she'll make a good President. Besides, many liberals who would normally support Hillary see her as a big part of the establishment, and that's working against her.

If people really want to support somebody who is not part of the establishment, somebody who will cut a lot of the government waste, somebody who will restore freedom of choice, and somebody who has an ounce of diplomacy, they'll support a third party choice like Johnson. If they want to continue with the same ol' nonsense, they'll vote Dem or GOP.
I voted for Johnson when I lived in New Mexico. I view myself as Libertarian/fiscally conservative and socially liberal.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:11 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,479,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Are you really comparing Trump to Reagan?
Sure. When one lists similar characteristics two men share, that is a comparison.

That's not to say that Trump and Reagan are identical, each is sui generis.

Both are seen as outsider candidates who are/were viewed with suspicion by (what used to be called) bluestocking Republicans for being closet Democrats. Both were attacked by failed presidential candidates with the last name "Romney" for straying outside the reservation, Reagan by George Romney, Trump by his son Mitt Romney.

Both gained the greatest recognition with the public through the entertainment industry - for which they were mocked, but which gave both of them a powerful advantage in communication skills which enabled them to circumvent the traditional media.

I think the biggest comparison seems to be attitude, which is, like it or not, the characteristic that will probably win Trump the presidency, if he wins.

Coming out of the malaise of the Carter years, when America was dealing with economic recession and an aggressive Soviet state that had invaded Afghanistan and had ordered martial law in Poland, Reagan provided an aggressively optimistic view of America, in contrast with the dour outlook of the Man from Hope, Jimmy Carter.

I suspect a lot of Americans have moderated their memories of Reagan to a more avuncular, sunny, easy going presence (kind of like having Hugh Downs in the oval office), but don't forget that this is the man who shouted down (and shut down) the protesters in Berkeley when he was governor, ordered the invasion of Grenada because of the presence of Cuban and Soviet advisors, fired the air traffic controllers when they went on strike, and ordered the creation of a nuclear deterrent system to protect the country that was so over the top technologically that the Soviet government went broke trying to compete. Ronnie Reagan was a badass in the defense of his country, and you crossed him at your own peril. The Soviets thought he was crazy.

Like Reagan, Trump has gained a lot of good will with American voters by articulating a vision of America that is in line with the classic vision of American exceptionalism.

Even more than Reagan, who spent some time in Hollywood as a pitchman for advertisers himself (cf. The Borax Company and Death Valley Days), Trump is born, bred, and trained as a salesman. It's in his blood. He is literally incapable of completing a sentence without throwing a sales pitch in, mid-sentence, for either himself, a project, or America. I find this fascinating. If you ask him about Israel, you'll get something like, "I have always been a big fan of israel, and the Jewish people - who are wonderful, and some of my biggest supporters...there is no one who is a bigger supporter of israel, and the Jews, than I am. Many people will tell you that."

A big part of being a leader is being a salesman - getting people to buy into your ideas - and a big part of being a salesman is being enthusiastic, upbeat, and optimistic. Trump does that, and it's why a lot of people within the Republican Party like him.

Coming after 8 years of listening to the current Scold-in-Chief, who seems unable to read from his teleprompter without reminding us of his moral superiority and heaving a sigh of disdain at having to explain to the yokels in fly-over country yet again about what they should be thinking, and who can't refer to a single act of aggression by a terrorist group or enemy nation-state without wagging his finger and reminding us that America (or at least, Christendom) has been just as bad, because, you know, the Crusades...it would be nice to listen to another egoist (and Trump can easily equal even Obama for egotism) but who actually seems to love the country at least as much as himself.

I am not on board the Trump Express, not yet, but will probably vote for anyone the Republicans come up with who opposes Clinton. We've spent eight years with the equivalent of your hipster brother-in-law-in chief who has to tell you with a smirk how much moral he is than you over the Thanksgiving table, and now the two people the Democratic Party want to assume his throne for the next four years (at least) and pick SCOTUS justices, are either the national ex-wife-in chief who cackles like a loon and harangues you about your alimony payment due April 15 because she needs the money to invade Lichtenstein, or the national crazy-uncle-who-lives-in-the-attic-in chief, who wants to saddle you with a 90% tax rate to provide the college kids with free tuition and weed. It's a sad state of affairs that Donald Trump actually looks like the best and most reasonable alternative of the three, but here we are. He could be a complete mountebank who will sell us down the river, and yet he still seems like a better choice to run the country. It's an odd time we're in.

One other reason I would support Trump over the Ex-Wife or the Crazy Uncle: the man has run businesses and knows how to read a spreadsheet. Clinton is running as Mrs. More of the Same, economically. Neither she nor Obama have shown any interest in dealing with a spiraling level of entitlement payments and bloated debt that threaten to kill the economy, preferring instead to kick the can down the road further for someone else to deal with. The economic path we're on, and will continue to be on (and that will accelerate under Sanders), will kill us as a nation as sure as any invading army or pandemic. Any likely alternative with a chance of being elected, such as Trump, is better than where we're headed.

Trump's foreign policy actually sounds pretty benign, once you get past the ideas that obsess everyone - a temporary halt to immigration from the Islamic Crescent, unless and until they can be properly vetted (which seems reasonable to me); greater border security with Mexico, and reducing the level of immigration that drives down wages for lower income Americans, whether they are black, white, or Hispanic; making American companies that outsource our industrial base and jobs to foreign countries pay an economic price; deal with China's flagrantly aggressive monetary policies; withdrawing from some of the alliances and treaties that require us to shoulder the greatest financial burden for the defense of other countries, and that require us to take military action in the defense of NATO countries like Turkey when Turkey is under no such obligation to assist us; aggressively deal with ISIS, but avoid other entangling military disputes and "nation-building" experiments like the Obama/Clinton support of the Libyan insurrection; and dealing with the Syrian refugee crisis by requiring the middle eastern states we financially support to create safe zones and accept their co-religionists.

Much of that makes sense to me.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Yeah, Trump and Hillary haven't even unsheathed their daggers yet on each other and he's already brought up the allegation that her husband is a rapist. When the full election gets going, look out.

On the Cruz extramarital allegations, I have a theory that it was neither Trump nor Rubio, nor even Clinton. The real candidate is obvious.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:17 AM

784 posts, read 924,062 times
Quote:
Sure. When one lists similar characteristics two men share, that is a comparison.

That's not to say that Trump and Reagan are identical, each is sui generis.

Both are seen as outsider candidates who are/were viewed with suspicion by (what used to be called) bluestocking Republicans for being closet Democrats. Both were attacked by failed presidential candidates with the last name "Romney" for straying outside the reservation, Reagan by George Romney, Trump by his son Mitt Romney.

Both gained the greatest recognition with the public through the entertainment industry - for which they were mocked, but which gave both of them a powerful advantage in communication skills which enabled them to circumvent the traditional media.

I think the biggest comparison seems to be attitude, which is, like it or not, the characteristic that will probably win Trump the presidency, if he wins.

Coming out of the malaise of the Carter years, when America was dealing with economic recession and an aggressive Soviet state that had invaded Afghanistan and had ordered martial law in Poland, Reagan provided an aggressively optimistic view of America, in contrast with the dour outlook of the Man from Hope, Jimmy Carter.

I suspect a lot of Americans have moderated their memories of Reagan to a more avuncular, sunny, easy going presence (kind of like having Hugh Downs in the oval office), but don't forget that this is the man who shouted down (and shut down) the protesters in Berkeley when he was governor, ordered the invasion of Grenada because of the presence of Cuban and Soviet advisors, fired the air traffic controllers when they went on strike, and ordered the creation of a nuclear deterrent system to protect the country that was so over the top technologically that the Soviet government went broke trying to compete. Ronnie Reagan was a badass in the defense of his country, and you crossed him at your own peril. The Soviets thought he was crazy.

Like Reagan, Trump has gained a lot of good will with American voters by articulating a vision of America that is in line with the classic vision of American exceptionalism.

Even more than Reagan, who spent some time in Hollywood as a pitchman for advertisers himself (cf. The Borax Company and Death Valley Days), Trump is born, bred, and trained as a salesman. It's in his blood. He is literally incapable of completing a sentence without throwing a sales pitch in, mid-sentence, for either himself, a project, or America. I find this fascinating. If you ask him about Israel, you'll get something like, "I have always been a big fan of israel, and the Jewish people - who are wonderful, and some of my biggest supporters...there is no one who is a bigger supporter of israel, and the Jews, than I am. Many people will tell you that."

A big part of being a leader is being a salesman - getting people to buy into your ideas - and a big part of being a salesman is being enthusiastic, upbeat, and optimistic. Trump does that, and it's why a lot of people within the Republican Party like him.

Coming after 8 years of listening to the current Scold-in-Chief, who seems unable to read from his teleprompter without reminding us of his moral superiority and heaving a sigh of disdain at having to explain to the yokels in fly-over country yet again about what they should be thinking, and who can't refer to a single act of aggression by a terrorist group or enemy nation-state without wagging his finger and reminding us that America (or at least, Christendom) has been just as bad, because, you know, the Crusades...it would be nice to listen to another egoist (and Trump can easily equal even Obama for egotism) but who actually seems to love the country at least as much as himself.

I am not on board the Trump Express, not yet, but will probably vote for anyone the Republicans come up with who opposes Clinton. We've spent eight years with the equivalent of your hipster brother-in-law-in chief who has to tell you with a smirk how much moral he is than you over the Thanksgiving table, and now the two people the Democratic Party want to assume his throne for the next four years (at least) and pick SCOTUS justices, are either the national ex-wife-in chief who cackles like a loon and harangues you about your alimony payment due April 15 because she needs the money to invade Lichtenstein, or the national crazy-uncle-who-lives-in-the-attic-in chief, who wants to saddle you with a 90% tax rate to provide the college kids with free tuition and weed. It's a sad state of affairs that Donald Trump actually looks like the best and most reasonable alternative of the three, but here we are. He could be a complete mountebank who will sell us down the river, and yet he still seems like a better choice to run the country. It's an odd time we're in.

One other reason I would support Trump over the Ex-Wife or the Crazy Uncle: the man has run businesses and knows how to read a spreadsheet. Clinton is running as Mrs. More of the Same, economically. Neither she nor Obama have shown any interest in dealing with a spiraling level of entitlement payments and bloated debt that threaten to kill the economy, preferring instead to kick the can down the road further for someone else to deal with. The economic path we're on, and will continue to be on (and that will accelerate under Sanders), will kill us as a nation as sure as any invading army or pandemic. Any likely alternative with a chance of being elected, such as Trump, is better than where we're headed.

Trump's foreign policy actually sounds pretty benign, once you get past the ideas that obsess everyone - a temporary halt to immigration from the Islamic Crescent, unless and until they can be properly vetted (which seems reasonable to me); greater border security with Mexico, and reducing the level of immigration that drives down wages for lower income Americans, whether they are black, white, or Hispanic; making American companies that outsource our industrial base and jobs to foreign countries pay an economic price; deal with China's flagrantly aggressive monetary policies; withdrawing from some of the alliances and treaties that require us to shoulder the greatest financial burden for the defense of other countries, and that require us to take military action in the defense of NATO countries like Turkey when Turkey is under no such obligation to assist us; aggressively deal with ISIS, but avoid other entangling military disputes and "nation-building" experiments like the Obama/Clinton support of the Libyan insurrection; and dealing with the Syrian refugee crisis by requiring the middle eastern states we financially support to create safe zones and accept their co-religionists.

Much of that makes sense to me.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:58 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,637,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
This is all for show. Hillary Clinton is going to win in a landslide in the general election. Nothing was ever going to stop that. Trump will easily win the nomination.

It all comes down to math. You cannot win by alienating minority voters particularly Hispanics. The last Republican to win President (Bush) had over 40% of the Hispanic vote. By comparison, Romney had 20% of the Hispanic vote. Trump will probably have even less. And Black voters are huge Hillary supporters. I wonder how many more Presidential losses it will take before the Republicans finally admit their approach has been wrong to alienate minorities.
As a Hispanic who isn't of Mexican descent and has voted since 1990 I really don't know where the GOP is regarding the "big tent party" is.

When TRUMP said "Mexico" doesn't send it's "best" and they are sending "killers" and "Rapists" and "drug dealers" to the US , isn't America full of these people too?

He was painting a broad brush against Mexicans ! Hispanics are very different when it comes to culture, food and other dynamics but I was offended by Trump's remarks regarding our fellow breathern in regards to Mexicans who have been the largest Latino population going back to generations in the US.

Can you imagine if TRUMP said the same things about African Americans? He would be labeled a "Racist"!

Old 03-29-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
I'm not so sure that his views are as far out of the American mainstream as you suggest.

Here are the results of a nationwide poll that was just done last week on support for Trump's plan for a temporary ban on admitting refugees from the Islamic Crescent countries, until they can be properly identified and vetted.

71% of Republicans support the plan, which is even higher than Trump's overall support among his party.

More surprisingly, one third of Hillary and Bernie's likely voters support the idea.

Among Independents, 49% support the idea, with 36% opposing it.

Overall, half of Americans overall support Trump's plan, with just 38% opposing it.

Source: https://morningconsult.com/2016/03/p...-neighborhood/

Old 03-29-2016, 09:18 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,971,772 times
Quote:
I'm not so sure that his views are as far out of the American mainstream as you suggest.

Here are the results of a nationwide poll that was just done last week on support for Trump's plan for a temporary ban on admitting refugees from the Islamic Crescent countries, until they can be properly identified and vetted.

71% of Republicans support the plan, which is even higher than Trump's overall support among his party.

More surprisingly, one third of Hillary and Bernie's likely voters support the idea.

Among Independents, 49% support the idea, with 36% opposing it.

Overall, half of Americans overall support Trump's plan, with just 38% opposing it.

Source: https://morningconsult.com/2016/03/p...-neighborhood/
Idk if support for this one narrow issue is enough to carry somebody to the White House.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:34 AM

4,506 posts, read 4,631,867 times
Obviously you been drinking the Kool-Ade that Fox News serves up and passes off as their talking points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post
I'm not so sure HRC can win an election. Setting aside the possibility of a federal indictment she has other troubles. There are many democrats who are having trouble supporting another 'old school' candidate. But, being the generous person I am I'm here to help.

1. I voted Democrat because I believe oil companies' profits of 4% on a gallon of gas are obscene, but the government taxing the same gallon of gas at 15% isn't.

2. I voted Democrat because I believe the government will do a better job of spending the money I earn than I would.

3. I votedDemocrat because Freedom of Speech is fine as long as nobody is offended by it.

4. I voted Democrat because I'm way too irresponsible to own a gun, and I know that my local police are all I need to protect me from murderers and thieves.

5. I voted Democrat because I believe that people who can't tell us if it will rain on Friday can tell us that the polar ice caps will melt away in ten years if I don't start driving a Prius.

6. I voted Democrat because I'm not concerned about millions of babies being aborted so long as we keep all death row inmates alive.

7. I voted Democrat because I think illegal aliens have a right to free health care, education, and Social Security benefits.

8. I voted Democrat because I believe that business should not be allowed to make profits for themselves. They need
to break even and give the rest away to the government for redistribution as the Democrats see fit.

9. I voted Democrat because I believe liberal judges need to rewrite the Constitution every few days to suit some fringe kooks who would never get their agendas past the voters.

10. I voted Democrat because I think that it's better to pay billions to people who hate us for their oil, but not drill our own because it might upset some endangered beetle or gopher.

11. I voted Democrat because while we live in the greatest, most wonderful country in the world, I was promised
"HOPE AND CHANGE".

12. I voted Democrat because my head is so firmly planted up my ass, it's unlikely that I'll ever have another point of view.

(copied from DateHookup.com)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area