Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 05:55 PM

4 posts, read 17,783 times

Advertisements

Currently in Denver, looking to relocate to either Chandler or Scottsdale with my kids. I do not have a degree and will be needing government assistance unfortunately, due to the fact I do not get child support. I am relocating for safety reasons.
Can anyone give me some advice about moving to AZ? How is the job market for those w/o a degree in these areas?
Does anyone have experience with welfare & how long the application process might take for a person who just moved from out of state?
Also, any other programs for single parents & bad areas to stay away from
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 06:24 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,861,647 times
Arizona has an excellent safety net compared to Colorado. I can't understand why anyone would stay in Colorado if they need safety-net services.

Colorado is a libertarian state where low taxes are priority over everything else. Not so with Arizona which spends far more per-capita on social programs then Utah, Colorado or Nevada.

California has a very overwhelmed safety net and the safety net is more geared towards singles then retirees in California.

You can check the Arizona Department of Human Services Website. Do you google search of family shelters, I would venture to guess Phoenix has the most generous number of shelters in the west.

If you are porting a section 8 voucher you should have no problem as there are many, many apartments and houses that will rent to section 8 voucher holders.

There are huge amounts of call-centers in Phoenix that pay $12-$15. Rent on an apartment is cheap $500 a month for Mesa you can get a small apartment. I have even seen large duplexes in Mesa advertised for $800 a month.

There are apartments here that offer short-term stays for families.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:36 PM

This was very helpful, thank you! I agree with your opinion on CO and believe it is for those who care a lot about marijuana & snowboarding...
The only thing I am afraid of when it comes to finding an apartment that cheap is the roach problem I have read about in a lot of apartment reviews out there.
I was born in Mesa and have heard it's not too great out there but that may just have to be where we start out.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:51 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,630,948 times
Good luck out there, I'm also moving to central AZ in June from Denver. CO has become a state for the wealthy California migrates, east coast people, hipsters, yuppies. It's not affordable here anymore. I'm also a Millennial.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:06 PM

Totally agree. On top of this flood of migrates we've gotten over the years, I'll be glad to never have to clean snow off my car or get stuck on the hill by my house.
& thank you, good luck to you as well.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 4,489 times
I moved to the city of Maricopa from California when my husband left me. I then moved to Phoenix to look for work. I found a job in phoenix after one week of looking! I moved here as an unemployed single parent and now have a full time job making 40,000 per year and my son is in one of the top preschools in the county! I love it here. I will never go back to CA. The job market here is amazing and the cost of living as a single parent is outstanding!

Old 03-25-2016, 03:43 PM

Wow! That is the most encouraging thing I have yet to hear when it comes to my move, as a single parent as well. I have begun apartment searching and the affordable ones I have found mostly have the word "cockroach" in their reviews :/
I will break a lease if I catch those things anywhere near my kids, food or clothing!
Does anyone know of safe, clean apartment complexes in towns that have good school districts?
My criteria is kind of crappy... But to start out I would need a studio/1bd for $700 or under, that also offers a 1-3 month lease.
Tried contacting the apartment finders but they emailed back saying there is nothing with that criteria.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:46 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,644,955 times
I moved here 5 years ago and had zero job prospects. I have had absolutely no problems finding work here in Arizona. It might not be work I like but finding a job here doesn't seem to be any problem for anyone I know. Besides, you're probably going to love it here because this state is so diverse and fascinating so even if you're working a job that isn't your favorite, just to get by temporarily, you will still enjoy life here.
I live in Mesa but not downtown. Go east young man, go east. HA! Northeast Mesa is the place to be.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:31 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,220,381 times
You're needing government assistance and you picked two of the highest cost of living areas of the valley? I'd recommend you look at other areas of the valley that have cheaper housing and still give you access to the jobs of Scottsdale or Chandler.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:54 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,404,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperBlossom1116 View Post
Wow! That is the most encouraging thing I have yet to hear when it comes to my move, as a single parent as well. I have begun apartment searching and the affordable ones I have found mostly have the word "cockroach" in their reviews :/
I will break a lease if I catch those things anywhere near my kids, food or clothing!
Does anyone know of safe, clean apartment complexes in towns that have good school districts?
My criteria is kind of crappy... But to start out I would need a studio/1bd for $700 or under, that also offers a 1-3 month lease.
Tried contacting the apartment finders but they emailed back saying there is nothing with that criteria.

You are not going to get a one to three month lease anywhere. Some places might have month to month options, but they are very likely not going to be the best places or meet your other criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area