Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2017, 12:13 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,382,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
MLB won't even let the Oakland Athletics move to San Jose, there's no way that they'll let the Diamondbacks move.
The San Jose move was a little different, where the San Francisco Giants "owned" the territorial rights, and that went to court, I believe, and it was upheld. I could easily see the Rays leaving the Tampa Bay Metroplex and moving to Montreal if they can't get a stadium deal down there, and there is a stadium deal in Montreal. I feel MLB wants to keep its eastern teams in the East and its western teams in the West, that's why you don't hear any Oakland to Montreal rumors or likewise will never hear D-backs to Montreal rumors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 12:26 PM

2,345 posts, read 2,701,450 times
The Rays can't leave Tampa Bay till 2027. They modified the contract recently to allow other cities in the Tampa Bay area other than St Pete. But it won't be Rays in Montreal till 2027.

I think expansion to 32 is more likely.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:38 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,372,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
The San Jose move was a little different, where the San Francisco Giants "owned" the territorial rights, and that went to court, I believe, and it was upheld. I could easily see the Rays leaving the Tampa Bay Metroplex and moving to Montreal if they can't get a stadium deal down there, and there is a stadium deal in Montreal. I feel MLB wants to keep its eastern teams in the East and its western teams in the West, that's why you don't hear any Oakland to Montreal rumors or likewise will never hear D-backs to Montreal rumors.
The thing that's lame about that, though, is that the Oakland franchise HAD the San Jose rights and GAVE them to San Francisco because the Giants were exploring a move to San Jose ~25 years ago.

Given SF did NOT make that move...I think it's really not very sporting of the Giants to refuse the A's the right to move to San Jose when it was the A's territory initially and the Giants only came to possess it because the A's were trying to help the Giants out back in the day.

Yes, I know the current ownership had nothing to do with the rights concessions of 25 years ago, but it is an internecine squabble and not in the best interests of baseball.

I guess over time maybe continued gentrification of Oakland and other growth/development in the East Bay will make it possible to get something built in Oakland, but it's been a long, long road with no progress so far for the A's. On the plus side, I don't think public money will be a part of any eventual Oakland solution.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:59 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,382,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
The Rays can't leave Tampa Bay till 2027. They modified the contract recently to allow other cities in the Tampa Bay area other than St Pete. But it won't be Rays in Montreal till 2027.

I think expansion to 32 is more likely.
Leases are made to be broken. If the Salt River Tribe told the D-Backs today they will build them a brand new, retractable roof, ballpark on their reservation at no cost to the team and it will be ready for the 2019 season, you know the D-Backs would try anything and everything to get out of their current lease.

I'm not saying if the Rays don't get a new stadium in the next 5 years somewhere in the Tampa/St. Pete Metroplex, they will try to get out of/break their lease and move to Montreal, but you never know.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:40 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,938,539 times
This team stays put whether they like it or not: a deal is a deal. It ain't going nowhere, that's a promise.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:41 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,938,539 times
Lucky dog, Phoenix. Be proud of your city!

Old 01-22-2017, 05:13 PM

6,408 posts, read 9,017,061 times
D-backs ownership has their priorities in the wrong place. Put effort into building a winning team instead of bloviating about a new stadium that isn't going to happen unless one of the local tribes is willing to drop a lot of coin.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:17 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,325,371 times
MLB commissioner: Diamondbacks stadium “needs work” to be “major league,

Old 06-07-2017, 08:15 AM

772 posts, read 841,377 times
The league threatening a city do this or they will leave crap in ridiculous. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area