Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2017, 09:20 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,634,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I saw this report on AZ Central. Apparently, maintenance of the chiller system including the piping is the team's responsibility. I hope they just leave. I am so sick of losing Phoenix teams and their crappy owners trying to fleece the taxpayers. Along with the other perennial losers - Coyotes and Suns - the Dbacks haven't put a decent team on the field in at least 15 years. Put all of them on the same bus out of town. Good riddance.
Here's hoping the Cardinals fare better than most. Many questions surrounding them as well.

It wasn't all that long ago, in the days when we of Arizona had NO NFL team. None.

And we had no choice but to root for whomsever was out there in the outer reaches. We would become fanatics of the Broncos or Raiders... or the Cowboys or 49ers... or the (ugh) Chargers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 09:22 AM

9,603 posts, read 31,772,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I saw this report on AZ Central. Apparently, maintenance of the chiller system including the piping is the team's responsibility. I hope they just leave. I am so sick of losing Phoenix teams and their crappy owners trying to fleece the taxpayers. Along with the other perennial losers - Coyotes and Suns - the Dbacks haven't put a decent team on the field in at least 15 years. Put all of them on the same bus out of town. Good riddance.
I could not agree more, Ponderosa . . .

Being a Huge D'Backs Fan I would hate to see them leave but enough is enough.

Eliminate a couple of those Chatty Cathy TV Announcers (I believe they're up to 5 or 6 now) who do nothing but interrupt the game with Anal Conversation totally irrelevant to the actual game and they would have plenty of money to perform necessary maintenance and upgrades.

Also, constantly announcing / boasting about the huge contracts for the players (not to mention D'Backs Management) and then expecting the Taxpayers to take care of them . . . NO WAY.

Once again . . . ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:34 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,396,140 times
So for MLB lawyering into this they are saying chase is thevworst park in baseball. Otherwise where are they in other cities? And does MLB want a new stadium or to move to a new city? If so where? Just wondering what MLB's goal is by getting involved?

I googled worst stadiums in MLB only one list had chase and it was due to too big a stadium and not a good enough team, nothing to do with db claims.

Do the dbacks actually want a new home (state)?

Old 08-02-2017, 09:44 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,634,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
So for MLB lawyering into this they are saying chase is thevworst park in baseball. Otherwise where are they in other cities? And does MLB want a new stadium or to move to a new city? If so where? Just wondering what MLB's goal is by getting involved?

I googled worst stadiums in MLB only one list had chase and it was due to too big a stadium and not a good enough team, nothing to do with db claims.

Do the dbacks actually want a new home (state)?
Neither MLB nor the Dbacks should be allowed to dictate their wants to anyone... until they can field a decent team. And even then, they should be made to realize that they are to foot their own bills like everyone else in America.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:25 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,993,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Hyperbole. The team is 14 games above .500 and would be in the playoffs if the season ended today. They also made the playoffs in 2007 and 2011, within your 15 year claim. And making the playoffs is a bigger accomplishment than in the NHL or NBA where a lot more teams get in. You might not like the team, its management, or baseball for that matter, but distorting their record doesn't help.
14 games over .500 and might make playoffs?!! Take my money!!!

Old 08-02-2017, 01:18 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,772,951 times
Once again, I am a HUGE FAN of the D'Backs and I follow them fairly closely during the entire season.

I never posted and/or implied the D'Backs were anything but a Great Team with exceptional payers and have proven their merit over the years.

When I attend a game I have no problem paying the premium fees for entrance and parking plus food / drink. At no time do I feel other taxpayers should "fund" my entertainment in any way.

On the flip side, I never attend the Opera, Football Games, Wrestling Matches or even a Movie . . . as a taxpayer should I be expected to "fund" the entertainment for those that do?

Old 08-03-2017, 09:47 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,090,920 times
Maybe they should move over to one of Talking Stick's fields. Everything they need is right there and I'm sure they'd have the red carpet rolled out for them...

Old 08-03-2017, 11:59 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,529,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Maybe they should move over to one of Talking Stick's fields. Everything they need is right there and I'm sure they'd have the red carpet rolled out for them...

That's not an acceptable location in the summer for regular season games, nor is it large enough. Derrick Hall was on the radio this AM; the whole "MLB would move the team" would be a temporary issue if Chase Field was unusable for a period of time interfering with a season for extensive repair/renovation, and they apparently have the authority to do that.

Neither Kendrick nor Hall want the team to leave Arizona permanently.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:55 PM

7,330 posts, read 12,404,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
That's not an acceptable location in the summer for regular season games, nor is it large enough. Derrick Hall was on the radio this AM; the whole "MLB would move the team" would be a temporary issue if Chase Field was unusable for a period of time interfering with a season for extensive repair/renovation, and they apparently have the authority to do that.

Neither Kendrick nor Hall want the team to leave Arizona permanently.
As far as I know, the D-Backs fanbase isn't as heavily concentrated in the East Valley as the Coyotes. Even for the Coyotes Talking Stick isn't ideal since it excludes the Southeast Valley which makes a sizeable portion of their fanbase particularly from Chandler, Gilbert, and Ahwatukee. It would be even worse for the D-Backs.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:58 PM

8,049 posts, read 12,319,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
Here's hoping the Cardinals fare better than most. Many questions surrounding them as well.

It wasn't all that long ago, in the days when we of Arizona had NO NFL team. None.

And we had no choice but to root for whomsever was out there in the outer reaches. We would become fanatics of the Broncos or Raiders... or the Cowboys or 49ers... or the (ugh) Chargers...
The Cards have been here for nearly 30 years, which to many younger people is ancient history. Natives like you and I remember those not so glory days when all we had was the Suns for a pro sports team, and even they had many seasons of hit & miss success. I don't miss those days when the closest NFL or NL teams were in L.A., Denver, or Dallas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Once again, I am a HUGE FAN of the D'Backs and I follow them fairly closely during the entire season.

I never posted and/or implied the D'Backs were anything but a Great Team with exceptional payers and have proven their merit over the years.

When I attend a game I have no problem paying the premium fees for entrance and parking plus food / drink. At no time do I feel other taxpayers should "fund" my entertainment in any way.

On the flip side, I never attend the Opera, Football Games, Wrestling Matches or even a Movie . . . as a taxpayer should I be expected to "fund" the entertainment for those that do?
Exactly! After all, it was taxpayers who forked over the money to build Chase Field (formerly Bank One Ballpark) for DBacks in the '90s. It was a state of the art stadium at the time, and continues to be. There's no reason why the team (or the league for that matter) can't use their millions/billions to pay for upgrades to Chase Field on their own. I'm proud to have the DBacks, but if they're going to be a bunch of spoiled brats and make all these demands, they can either pay up or get the hell out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Oh sure, and leave Chase Field an empty shell & take away more business from downtown at a time when being more centrally located is the focus. I say no more pushing amenities to the SRR. It's mostly wasteland anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area