Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 02:37 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,468,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixmike11 View Post

Thanks for that! A really interesting read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
This is what I was getting earlier in the thread, the demand letter is based on unenforceable financial statements. They're playing the public opinion game and losing.

Yes, indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 04:23 PM

7,833 posts, read 4,580,702 times
Quote:
This is what I was getting earlier in the thread, the demand letter is based on unenforceable financial statements. They're playing the public opinion game and losing.
Manager Chip Hale ain't helping. Post-Opening Day comment to the press:

“You did a nice job of it,” Hale continued. “I said it before the game, you guys really hyped it up. Every Opening Day is every Opening Day – it means no more than tomorrow’s game. Are we happy that we lost? No, we’re disappointed that we lost. It’s just one of 162.”

No worries Chipper, we'll forget any hype about your team, oh I'm guessing, mid-to-late June or when they're 15 games out (whichever happens sooner)

Last edited by take57; 04-05-2016 at 04:53 PM..

Old 04-06-2016, 01:11 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,320,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
Phoenix and Maricopa County at this point are better off letting the Diamondbacks and Suns leave to Talking Stick.

In 20 years (or less) when they have a situation at Talking Stick that replicates the Coyotes situation at Westgate (and don't you dare tell me that 81 baseball games and 41 basketball games in north central Scottsdale won't have attendance problems) and the Diamondbacks and Suns beg to come back downtown, the city and county will have the upper hand.
It's not P.C. to say this but you can't compare the East Valley to the West Valley. They are not the same. The West Valley expansion like Sun City, Sun City West, Suprise etc were snow bird havens. The East Valley is much younger, has more families with young children and younger people in general who will attend these games. Also the population is much larger in the East Valley and it is more proximal to the Central Valley. It's much easier getting to the 101 and Indian Bend from Central Phoenix than it is to Westgate. You can't compare the two. Those stadiums will thrive at Talking Stick and will have no problem filling. And let's also acknowledge another aspect, pro sports requires money. The wealthiest people in the Valley live in that area. Yeah Yeah I know about Glendale having the most millionaires per capita or something like that but they are retired snowbirds not young active people who attend those games. And in Scottsdale, PV, South Tempe, North Chandler and East Phoenix is where the wealthiest young people live and who are more likely to attend those games.

That being said, I would prefer them to remain in downtown because I would prefer greater access to ALL people in the Valley. Also, if those stadiums relocate, downtown will die.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:35 PM

27 posts, read 46,406 times
There is a ton of research out there that shows sporting venues do NOT have the economic impact that is often used as a point of leverage in negotiating public funding. What has Chase Field contributed to downtown? Several people have said they only come downtown for games -- that's exactly the point. If it only attracts people for a limited number of home-games, and those people never return to the downtown that this exposure was supposed to make them more attracted to, it's pretty much a giant monstrosity that, along with its neighbors - the Garage Mahal and Convention Center South - is more of a hindrance to the expansion of the CBD and its connection to both the Warehouse District and Garfield. Jackson Street and Colliers Center have largely been failures.

I'd go so far as to say that Chase has done everything it can to keep itself insulated from downtown. From the "Sunburst" escape plan, the quantity of cheap parking available, and the recent food additions (Levy's products and the food truck plaza) that could have easily been done along Jackson vs. inside. Since we can't get back the warehouses destroyed to create Chase, how about a new 4-year public college/university option that isn't ASU in the Phoenix area? The lack of higher education establishments in the 5th/6th largest city is really egregious and is contributing to the "brain drain" cycle. ASU downtown has been disappointing IMO, but a college focused on STEAM training would work well with the businesses in the Warehouse District and could bring high-wage jobs to the offices in the CBD.

I think there IS value in having TSRA remain downtown, however, because it is used so much more frequently and the nature of those events lends itself to eating/drinking nearby before or after. But, I think it needs to remain in its current location and if public funding is used for renovations, major negotiations must be made to ensure it DOES bring economic value outside its walls: retail frontage on Jefferson, 1st St, and Jackson; X number of units or hotel rooms, X% affordable housing units, X square footage of open space/adaptive reuse of the remaining St. James Hotel.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:46 AM

8,046 posts, read 12,290,519 times
Diamondbacks CEO says team wants Phoenix to run Chase Field

Quote:
Arizona Diamondbacks Chief Executive Derrick Hall said Sunday that the franchise wants the city of Phoenix to replace Maricopa County as Chase Field's landlord, a move he said would ensure the Major League Baseball team's long-term future in downtown.
Any thoughts about this???

Old 04-11-2016, 05:31 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,468,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westmont_resident View Post
. Since we can't get back the warehouses destroyed to create Chase, how about a new 4-year public college/university option that isn't ASU in the Phoenix area? The lack of higher education establishments in the 5th/6th largest city is really egregious and is contributing to the "brain drain" cycle. ASU downtown has been disappointing IMO, but a college focused on STEAM training would work well with the businesses in the Warehouse District and could bring high-wage jobs to the offices in the CBD.

I think there IS value in having TSRA remain downtown, however, because it is used so much more frequently and the nature of those events lends itself to eating/drinking nearby before or after. But, I think it needs to remain in its current location and if public funding is used for renovations, major negotiations must be made to ensure it DOES bring economic value outside its walls: retail frontage on Jefferson, 1st St, and Jackson; X number of units or hotel rooms, X% affordable housing units, X square footage of open space/adaptive reuse of the remaining St. James Hotel.

I don't want to take this too far afield, but in what respect has ASU downtown been disappointing so that you think we need another 4 year university downtown? (FYI, you can get a degree from NAU, in Phoenix, without ever setting foot in Flagstaff).

Old 04-11-2016, 09:12 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,976,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
The City of Phoenix is more generous in spending money than Maricopa County is. So I can see his point, but truth be told the DBACKS don't put a product on the field worthy of my tax dollars and until they do, they have no business trying to leverage us like this.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:26 PM

975 posts, read 1,407,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
The City of Phoenix is more generous in spending money than Maricopa County is. So I can see his point, but truth be told the DBACKS don't put a product on the field worthy of my tax dollars and until they do, they have no business trying to leverage us like this.
They spent $206.5 million for a pitcher who in 2 starts is 0-2, has pitched 10 innings, and has a 9.90 ERA.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:41 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,144,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
They spent $206.5 million for a pitcher who in 2 starts is 0-2, has pitched 10 innings, and has a 9.90 ERA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw9q...ature=youtu.be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area