Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Least favorite Phoenix suburb?
Surprise 4 3.67%
Peoria 2 1.83%
Glendale 12 11.01%
Litchfield 0 0%
Avondale 2 1.83%
Buckeye 3 2.75%
Tolleson 11 10.09%
Goodyear 1 0.92%
Cave Creek 2 1.83%
Carefree 1 0.92%
Paradise Valley 2 1.83%
Scottsdale 10 9.17%
Tempe 2 1.83%
Fountain Hills 0 0%
Mesa 16 14.68%
Chandler 2 1.83%
Gilbert 13 11.93%
Apache Junction 10 9.17%
Guadalupe 12 11.01%
Queen Creek 4 3.67%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 08:55 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Scottsdale has a lot of good qualities but I totally agree with you about the rudeness.

Oldtown seems to be the worst in the snootiness category, anyone who is an average dresser, drives an average car, and isn't a member of the selfie-posing plastic population should be prepared to be snubbed or treated rudely.

I've had some personal experiences with this and other people I know have reported the same kind of snobbery so we're certainly not alone.
Cmon, man. Thats pure rubbish!

I dress mainly in soccer jersies, with jeans and flip flops, drive a cheap car, and have never ONCE been looked at cross, even during the Art Walk nights. I live only 3 miles from Old Town and I am a frequent visitor. Perhaps you perceive the snottiness?

I also want to know how on earth people are gonna judge you when youre, say, several blocks from where you parked, and they didnt even see your car! Unless you look like you havent showered in weeks, or are wearing very offensive clothing, I highly doubt youll get nasty looks from people.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:34 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post

I dress mainly in soccer jersies, with jeans and flip flops, drive a cheap car, and have never ONCE been looked at cross, even during the Art Walk nights. I live only 3 miles from Old Town and I am a frequent visitor. Perhaps you perceive the snottiness?

I also want to know how on earth people are gonna judge you when youre, say, several blocks from where you parked, and they didnt even see your car! Unless you look like you havent showered in weeks, or are wearing very offensive clothing, I highly doubt youll get nasty looks from people.
Right. There must be more to this. I have friends who are not quite established that drive standard cars, wear inexpensive clothing and I've been out with them many times and no one has ever made fun of them or even given them a second glace. To stand out so much that people notice it and react, must be a pretty extreme case of looking disheveled.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:59 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Right. There must be more to this. I have friends who are not quite established that drive standard cars, wear inexpensive clothing and I've been out with them many times and no one has ever made fun of them or even given them a second glace. To stand out so much that people notice it and react, must be a pretty extreme case of looking disheveled.
My thoughts exactly. Something just isnt adding up. Ive rubbed shoulders with some of Scottsdale's elite at some fancy schmancy art exhibits, and never once was a second glance given, nor any snide remarks. Ironically, some gallery workers/owners have acted a little uppity in talking to them, but never once have they given me dirty looks or gave me the feeling they were better than me. In fact, most of them would chat me up about the art, with me in my torn AE jeans and flip flops and all.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:49 PM

445 posts, read 515,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post

It exists.

My wife works in Scottsdale. We have friends that live in Scottsdale. We both find ourselves in Scottsdale with a good degree of regularity, whether that be to eat out, shop, or just stop at a gas station while passing through. We are both pleasant, friendly people who will never be ones to start any issue with anyone, but we see the snobbiness all the time.

I will easily blend in and feel comfortable with Fortune 500 executives and professional dishwashers alike. On my free time, I'm usually in jeans or shorts and a t-shirt, maybe a ball cap, and full sleeve tattoos quite visible...nothing ridiculous, but I definitely don't look very well-to-do at all. But when I am heading to a work function and am dressed in a button-down shirt, slacks, and maybe even a tie, the way I'm treated and looked at is a night and day difference. That will happen anywhere to a certain extent, but I see it way more in Scottsdale than anywhere else in the Valley.

Now...whether some snob wants to give me a dirty look or not has zero effect on how I go about my day. The most I'll do is just snicker or shake my head and move on, so I'm definitely not walking around causing problems are carrying myself like someone with a chip on my shoulder. And to be clear...I've met many awesome, good people who live in Scottsdale. But there is definitely a sizeable chunk of the population there that will treat you differently if they don't think you're up to their "standards". Scottsdale didn't get it's reputation for no reason.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:05 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargeant79 View Post
It exists.

My wife works in Scottsdale. We have friends that live in Scottsdale. We both find ourselves in Scottsdale with a good degree of regularity, whether that be to eat out, shop, or just stop at a gas station while passing through. We are both pleasant, friendly people who will never be ones to start any issue with anyone, but we see the snobbiness all the time.

I will easily blend in and feel comfortable with Fortune 500 executives and professional dishwashers alike. On my free time, I'm usually in jeans or shorts and a t-shirt, maybe a ball cap, and full sleeve tattoos quite visible...nothing ridiculous, but I definitely don't look very well-to-do at all. But when I am heading to a work function and am dressed in a button-down shirt, slacks, and maybe even a tie, the way I'm treated and looked at is a night and day difference. That will happen anywhere to a certain extent, but I see it way more in Scottsdale than anywhere else in the Valley.

Now...whether some snob wants to give me a dirty look or not has zero effect on how I go about my day. The most I'll do is just snicker or shake my head and move on, so I'm definitely not walking around causing problems are carrying myself like someone with a chip on my shoulder. And to be clear...I've met many awesome, good people who live in Scottsdale. But there is definitely a sizeable chunk of the population there that will treat you differently if they don't think you're up to their "standards". Scottsdale didn't get it's reputation for no reason.
They're probably just staring at your arms full of ink. You did realize that people would look at you when you got that done, right? To think that you could go out in public with "full sleeve tattoos quite visible" and not get some inquiring looks would be foolish. Choosing to interpret a look as snobiness is on you.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:11 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
I don't really have an opinion of Scottsdale either way, though I don't think it is the be-all-end-all of places to live. There are some great restaurants there, I will give them that!

As far as people looking down their noses at someone while visiting there because they aren't dressed correctly or don't drive the right car, who cares? It's their problem, not yours. I stopped thinking about what people thought about how I am dressed when I turned 16 or so. Just ignore and move on.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:14 PM

551 posts, read 692,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargeant79 View Post
But when I am heading to a work function and am dressed in a button-down shirt, slacks, and maybe even a tie, the way I'm treated and looked at is a night and day difference. That will happen anywhere to a certain extent, but I see it way more in Scottsdale than anywhere else in the Valley.
I think this happens anywhere. Dress up, and people treat you better anywhere in the entire country. I have certainly noticed it in many different states in many different situations, even ones which you expect to be casual. Go into a casual coffee shop and notice that maybe people become a bit more formal (and polite) when dealing with someone who is dressed more formally than casually.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:18 PM

445 posts, read 515,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
They're probably just staring at your arms full of ink. You did realize that people would look at you when you got that done, right? To think that you could go out in public with "full sleeve tattoos quite visible" and not get some inquiring looks would be foolish. Choosing to interpret a look as snobiness is on you.
Of course. But there's a big and quite noticeable difference between someone who is interested in checking out my ink versus someone who is turning their nose up at me. The latter is far more prevalent in Scottsdale than anywhere else. And really this isn't about tattoos...I see a a noticeable difference in how I see people treated in Scottsdale vs. elsewhere in the valley regardless of whether they are inked or not. Apparently other people see the same otherwise Scottsdale wouldn't have the reputation it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusland View Post
I think this happens anywhere. Dress up, and people treat you better anywhere in the entire country. I have certainly noticed it in many different states in many different situations, even ones which you expect to be casual. Go into a casual coffee shop and notice that maybe people become a bit more formal (and polite) when dealing with someone who is dressed more formally than casually.
I agree, and stated as much in my response. My point is simply that Scottsdale's reputation isn't entirely undeserved. Also, big difference in South Scottsdale vs. the rest of Scottsdale, with South Scottsdale being more in line with the rest of the valley when it comes to people's attitudes.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:51 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,469,704 times
I feel like half of you guys go to scottsdale for the soul purpose of trying to find snobby people. I've lived there a long time and I can tell you that I've never judged anyone by their apparel(unless it's a 50 year old mom trying to walk around in a mini dress) or by what car they drive through Scottsdale in, nor have any of my friends for that matter. Or maybe you just misinterpreted a look as someone being judgmental when they really weren't being so.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:07 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
There may be more tattoos per capita in Scottsdale than anywhere else in the valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area