Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would u attend/ok having your kid attend a Phoenix area college with mandatory fee that funds illega
Yes 10 15.63%
No 46 71.88%
Yes, only if the fee was voluntary, not mandatory 8 12.50%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 03:49 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,998,281 times

Advertisements

Its absolutely ludicrous that students have to fund the activities of law breakers. Shame on Prescott College for instituting such a ridiculous fee. My children will NEVER attend that college based on that premise alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 04:24 PM

39,152 posts, read 51,440,315 times
The fee, which was proposed and approved by the student body funds ONE scholarship for an illegal alien. It's a private college, founded by a Congregationalist religious leader and apparently steeped in liberal thought (sounds out of place in Arizona, but it is what it is). The initiative is consistent with that philosophy.

There are numerous scholarships available to DACA persons at all of the state universities. What people want to do with their money is their business I guess. If I wanted my kids to go to Prescott College enough that I would pay the tuition required, I probably would be the type who would welcome this scholarship being offered to an undocumented student

Old 04-07-2016, 05:24 PM

32 posts, read 48,116 times
I think this is a good thing

Old 04-08-2016, 08:49 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,100,053 times
I think it's GREAT! It should be free to anyone who wants to go no matter where you're from or even if you are here legally or not as education is a basic human right.

I also think healthcare, food,basic utilities including internet and of course housing should be free as those are all basic human rights as well.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:34 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,375,254 times
This is basically an irrelevancy at a private college. Given how liberal most colleges/universities are, particularly non-religious private ones that are not held back by state restrictions, this is basically par for the course at most places.

Basically, the nut of the story is, "Student activism and administration grandstanding results in yet another student fee that in theory and perhaps in practice fund tuition for ONE student." ONE student.

Student activism and administration politics result in all sorts of stupid and expensive things every day all across the country so no point getting too bent out of shape over this one.

I wonder what the odds are on the scholarship winner being deported? Depending who wins the election you might find that they make the scholarship anonymous since accepting it publicly would basically be agreeing to a press release that you're here illegally.

Regardless, it is an awful lot of people patting themselves on the back for planning to help ONE student. Which is why I consider it political grandstanding.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:28 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,095,199 times
Um, it's Prescott College. Not where you send your kid to take ENG 101 or Pre-Algebra. Why is anyone surprised?

Old 04-08-2016, 12:22 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,499,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I think it's GREAT! It should be free to anyone who wants to go no matter where you're from or even if you are here legally or not as education is a basic human right.

I also think healthcare, food,basic utilities including internet and of course housing should be free as those are all basic human rights as well.
Bernie, is that you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
This is basically an irrelevancy at a private college. Given how liberal most colleges/universities are, particularly non-religious private ones that are not held back by state restrictions, this is basically par for the course at most places.

Basically, the nut of the story is, "Student activism and administration grandstanding results in yet another student fee that in theory and perhaps in practice fund tuition for ONE student." ONE student.

Student activism and administration politics result in all sorts of stupid and expensive things every day all across the country so no point getting too bent out of shape over this one.

I wonder what the odds are on the scholarship winner being deported? Depending who wins the election you might find that they make the scholarship anonymous since accepting it publicly would basically be agreeing to a press release that you're here illegally.

Regardless, it is an awful lot of people patting themselves on the back for planning to help ONE student. Which is why I consider it political grandstanding.
Good points/I wondered about the same. Legally, if this individual waltzed over the border/wasn't born here, this person isn't allowed in the country so if the rule of law is followed, they should be deported. Seems like it wouldn't be a smart move for someone to bite on this freebee.

And yes, the math of a $30 fee per student with 800 some odd students which would just provide one student one year of schooling given the current tuition rate sure sounds like political nonsense to me also.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:48 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,767,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Its absolutely ludicrous that students have to fund the activities of law breakers. Shame on Prescott College for instituting such a ridiculous fee. My children will NEVER attend that college based on that premise alone.
Kids that were brought here by their parents when they were too young to have a voice in the matter.

Old 04-09-2016, 08:10 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,069,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Just be glad we're not one of these states:
http://www.ncsl.org/research/educati...te-action.aspx

Old 04-09-2016, 10:03 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,767,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Just be glad we're not one of these states:
http://www.ncsl.org/research/educati...te-action.aspx
It's embarrassing that we're not one of those states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area