Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would u attend/ok having your kid attend a Phoenix area college with mandatory fee that funds illega
Yes 10 15.63%
No 46 71.88%
Yes, only if the fee was voluntary, not mandatory 8 12.50%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 10:05 AM

551 posts, read 698,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
It's embarrassing that we're not one of those states.
Why do we have to offer non-citizens the same benefits as citizens again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 10:06 AM

3,412 posts, read 4,681,541 times
Quote:
It's embarrassing that we're not one of those states.
It's embarrassing we're funding colleges to non-citizens who comes here to break the law.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:15 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,773,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
It's embarrassing we're funding colleges to non-citizens who comes here to break the law.
They are children brought here by their parents when they were little. They did not come here to break the law.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:16 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,773,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusland View Post
Why do we have to offer non-citizens the same benefits as citizens again?
We don't have to. I am saying that we should, for the "dreamers" who grew up here.

Old 04-09-2016, 01:46 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,506,873 times
Quote:
They are children brought here by their parents when they were little. They did not come here to break the law.
Quote:
We don't have to. I am saying that we should, for the "dreamers" who grew up here.

Yes, parents illegally cross the border with their kids who in some cases are too young to know what's going on but how do we know they weren't teenagers who walked over the border themselves or had coyotes bring them? Given we have no records on them, when they crossed over, and at what age because they are here illegally, I'm not sure about yourself but I don't blindly trust the words of strangers just because they tell me something like "they came here with their parents".

Here's the reality of the situation:

More youths crossing U.S.-Mexico border alone - latimes

"Up to 120 unaccompanied youths are arriving each day, officials say, a number that has tripled over the last five years and that by some estimates could soon reach 60,000 a year."

So you're for giving these young people crossing without their parents free scholarship money?

Personally, I think a truly "progressive" college would have scholarship programs beyond illegals. For example, students who have battered mom's, had a rough childhood from getting cancer, students from families who were abusive/alcoholics, etc. Where's the compassion for such people if the student body is truly progressive and compassionate and why just focus on illegals? That's why I smell political agenda all over this.

Old 04-09-2016, 03:57 PM

551 posts, read 698,143 times
Quote:
Why should I foot the bill for a child that was born as an emotional ball and chain to force a native citizen population to tolerate and finance people that do not want to obey our laws and rules?

Why should I do this when we as a country can barely take care of our own veterans, citizens, homeless, and massive debt?

Old 04-09-2016, 04:14 PM

8,081 posts, read 7,006,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusland View Post
Why should I foot the bill for a child that was born as an emotional ball and chain to force a native citizen population to tolerate and finance people that do not want to obey our laws and rules?

Why should I do this when we as a country can barely take care of our own veterans, citizens, homeless, and massive debt?
But are you a native born or are we all just immigrants?

Old 04-09-2016, 04:14 PM

15,256 posts, read 13,075,830 times
Snopes.com says the Prescott College students can opt out of paying the fee.

It's not mandatory.

Old 04-09-2016, 04:39 PM

39,179 posts, read 51,499,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Snopes.com says the Prescott College students can opt out of paying the fee.

It's not mandatory.
So as the facts emerge we are down to one scholarship paid for with voluntary contributions. How many years of life have been taken from conservatives stressing over this story?

One thing for sure: Prescott College got tons of free ink over this. Nobody, even in Arizona, had heard of the place befor this. Now they are a national news sensation. Good work!

Old 04-09-2016, 05:08 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,197,261 times
Quote:
Kids that were brought here by their parents when they were too young to have a voice in the matter.
I think it's interesting you bring this up, because it's a valid point: parents don't always understand that what they do affects their children and isn't always good for them. While leaving Central America may be a matter of survival, or just a lack of work, parents are indeed bringing their children to a very hateful, intolerant country. Quite in fact, it's well documented that children of immigrants typically abandon their culture and language. I've read that schools in Mexico have reported that children being sent back there have horrible Spanish skills. And in my family, my grandmother was an immigrant and my father was so ashamed of it that he felt he had to be more American than American, and had to instill that in his kids. Of course, while I could've grown up bilingual, I didn't because "father knows best" and I had to learn the language later in life when it was available in school. Likewise, I could've had (and under current regulations, still do qualify for) dual citizenship, which would've opened up a lot of opportunities for me... but no, he couldn't burden his children with that. If I want it, now I have to go through a very long, bureaucratic, expensive process to get it. But back to this topic, I think it's deplorable that people are bashing people that, as you said, had no voice in the matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area