Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 12:55 PM

3,411 posts, read 4,672,188 times

Advertisements

Here's another video of the horrendous traffic. Starting at 4:34 on I-70 you can see the bottleneck already. I'm sure Phoenix doesn't have bottlenecks like we do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxBnRdycDr0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 02:11 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,089,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Here's another video of the horrendous traffic. Starting at 4:34 on I-70 you can see the bottleneck already. I'm sure Phoenix doesn't have bottlenecks like we do.
no need to watch. we do. Its called the stack.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:47 AM

77 posts, read 127,663 times
Just returned from visiting Phoenix. I drove down from Denver and was really impressed with Arizona roadways. Nothern Arizona had great roads and in Phoenix I found it to be one of the easier cities I've ever driven in. Yes there was quite a bit of traffic and cars but things were moving and seems like it was a snap to get around town, I couldn't believe it. Granted I was not driving during middle of rush hour. The road conditions were excellent compared to Denver. Our highways in Denver are pretty much a constant mess with traffic and accidents, doesn't matter what day/time weekday or weekends. I also didn't see the same number of insane drivers on the road tailgaiting and aggressive driving. It was totally relaxing driving around Phoenix by comparison.

Great job Arizona on managing your roadways as it shows.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:58 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,753,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhden2000 View Post
Just returned from visiting Phoenix. I drove down from Denver and was really impressed with Arizona roadways. Nothern Arizona had great roads and in Phoenix I found it to be one of the easier cities I've ever driven in. Yes there was quite a bit of traffic and cars but things were moving and seems like it was a snap to get around town, I couldn't believe it. Granted I was not driving during middle of rush hour. The road conditions were excellent compared to Denver. Our highways in Denver are pretty much a constant mess with traffic and accidents, doesn't matter what day/time weekday or weekends. I also didn't see the same number of insane drivers on the road tailgaiting and aggressive driving. It was totally relaxing driving around Phoenix by comparison.

Great job Arizona on managing your roadways as it shows.
Glad to hear you enjoyed driving on our roads. Any other impressions about the state/cities?

Old 04-16-2016, 12:11 PM

77 posts, read 127,663 times
Driving down from southern Utah into northern Arizona the scenery is very diverse and scenic. Was really impressed with the beauty of GC, Sedona and Payson. Phoenix was pretty good overall but really sprawly as anticipated. I didn't like the sheer number of people and cars however it's not that much different in Denver and with our population growing exponentially. I am considering checking out the Phoenix area for relocation as I could do well selling home in Denver and moving south. I like the heat and not so much into cold/snow of Denver. I like the fact you can drive 2 hours from Phoenix is be in a place like Flagstaff or Payson and escape the heat. All the people I encountered were very friendly and welcoming which was great. I have visited Florida many times and like the energy and vibe of Arizona much better for a warm weather destination.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:28 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,499,925 times
I think the bottom line is our traffic is nothing here compared to many other major metro areas. Many complain but I wonder how many who complain have driven in other metro areas. I credit our well designed/planned freeway system.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b...ong-major.html

This article mentions the following reasons for our comparatively low traffic congestion:

"Phoenix’s low congestion ratings are direct results of voters agreeing to a sales tax to build freeways and arterial roads — Propositions 400 and 404, and earlier efforts — that put money into local coffers to create regional roads.

While markets larger than Phoenix, and most top 50 markets smaller than the Valley, see free-flowing traffic as a thing of the past, the voter-driven efforts in the metro are paying off with rather rapid commutes."

Old 04-26-2016, 10:19 AM

2 posts, read 2,610 times
Thumbs down Phoenix best city in the world for drivers??? WTH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
I feel your pain. I split my time between LA and Phoenix and wow it's night and day. The roads in LA are that of a third world country, it's always amazing seeing the difference in quality when comparing the I-10 in La and the I-10 in Phoenix. After all, Phoenix was recently named the best city in the world for drivers
I'd love to know who crowned Phoenix best city for drivers??? Jesus. This place is a haven for speeders. People drive 20-30 miles over the speed limit on side roads and in neighborhoods and parking lots and 20-30 miles UNDER the speed limit on highways. And let's not even talk about red light runners. I have never in my life lived in place where people run lights AFTER they have been red for several seconds. Also, people that run lights that are completely red and traffic is already moving from the other lights. I have seen so many pedestrians struck because people are texting and speeding. Business areas and neighborhoods are the worst... you can barely pull out from side streets without almost getting hit because people are speeding/texting etc on the main road. Seriously, it's unbelievable to me that Phoenix is rated best in the world for drivers. The only way I can see this happening is people are so sun-dazed when they come here, and there is so much open space, that they are unaware of how badly people drive. Don't let the lack of traffic fool you into thinking that people are better drivers here, there is just more space for them to drive like a$$holes.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:37 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,637,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weetwo5510 View Post
I'd love to know who crowned Phoenix best city for drivers??? Jesus.
I'm pretty sure Jesus would not get involved in such mundane drivel.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:53 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,485,318 times
Quote:
I'd love to know who crowned Phoenix best city for drivers??? Jesus. This place is a haven for speeders. People drive 20-30 miles over the speed limit on side roads and in neighborhoods and parking lots and 20-30 miles UNDER the speed limit on highways. And let's not even talk about red light runners. I have never in my life lived in place where people run lights AFTER they have been red for several seconds. Also, people that run lights that are completely red and traffic is already moving from the other lights. I have seen so many pedestrians struck because people are texting and speeding. Business areas and neighborhoods are the worst... you can barely pull out from side streets without almost getting hit because people are speeding/texting etc on the main road. Seriously, it's unbelievable to me that Phoenix is rated best in the world for drivers. The only way I can see this happening is people are so sun-dazed when they come here, and there is so much open space, that they are unaware of how badly people drive. Don't let the lack of traffic fool you into thinking that people are better drivers here, there is just more space for them to drive like a$$holes.
Have you spent a large amount of time in any city besides Phoenix? Driving in Phoenix is relaxing to me. Granted, I split my time between LA and Phoenix so the traffic and the roads are great to me in PHX compared to the roads and traffic (which can cause anxiety) in LA.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:39 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,753,102 times
Quote:
This IS an issue here, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area