Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating to Phoenix: 1 bedroom condo, singles dating, personal gyms, diversity, townhome.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 08:18 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I'm considering a relocation to the Phoenix area from outside of Fort Lauderdale, FL (no it's not that bad). I have a job I can take in Scottsdale, and although I have been to Phoenix a few times (staying in Scottsdale), I don't really know what it's like outside of Scottsdale. What I do know if I love your climate, I have been impressed by the scenery, and I generally like that area.

Anyway, are there any areas around Phoenix that might cater well to young professionals, or are walkable? How much would it be to get a 1 bedroom condo/apartment in a decent area? Is there much of a music scene there? How is the nightlife? The singles scene? How are the local colleges? A safe yet diverse area is also a plus (yeah, I know, kum-by-ya, but my area right now is like that), but safety would come first. Sorry for my ignorance, but I have a few cities I can relocate to and this is one that I don't know much about. Sorry about the bombarding of questions, but I'm pretty ignorant to this area .

Also, if any former Floridians could chime in, that would also be great. I actually do like it here, even though it's the worst city in the country with it's crime and rude people and I would be leaving a lot behind, but I'm young and need to explore. I picture Phoenix to not meet my criteria, but I don't know enough about it, so that's where you guys can help!

Thanks for your help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 09:42 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,163,121 times
If you want a new condo in a good/great area it would cost about $200k for a 1 bed. In a great area, it would cost a little bit more. This is phx or scottsdale. Of course there are exceptions.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
If you want a new condo in a good/great area it would cost about $200k for a 1 bed. In a great area, it would cost a little bit more. This is phx or scottsdale. Of course there are exceptions.
Thank you for your reply . How about rentals? I would prefer not to buy until I actually settled somewhere. Also, are the prices tumbling as quickly over there as they are in FL?

Old 02-13-2008, 09:57 AM

225 posts, read 962,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Thank you for your reply . How about rentals? I would prefer not to buy until I actually settled somewhere. Also, are the prices tumbling as quickly over there as they are in FL?
There are a lot of great rentals here. The nice thing about Phoenix is that it's a developing city so the apartments tend to be new which means they have good plumbing, heating/air, nicer finishings, personal gyms, well kept swimming pools. Many of the apartments look like resorts that you would find in Cancun or Hawaii. I would drive around. They are pretty easily recognizable.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:23 PM

Any information about walkability, or a diverse area? Thanks again!

And also, is it really mostly just a typical newer sunbelt city? Theres nothing wrong with that, but I have heard comparisons of Phoenix to Orlando. That's not someplace I would aspire to be compared to.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 02-13-2008 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: in addition

Old 02-16-2008, 05:17 PM

45 posts, read 194,456 times
It sounds like you would be interested in Tempe down by ASU. Depending on where your job would be in Scottsdale, it wouldn't be a tough commute. Tempe has a great down town, a lot of music and a pretty diverse feel to it (for AZ anyway). They've built a bunch of new condo/townhome developments around there. That would be my top recommendation from your post. I don't think rents are too bad either. My husband owns a store on Mill and it is always crazy on the weekends until 3 - 4 am.

*as to comparing Phoenix to Orlando, I don't know about that. I lived in FL for awhile and it would never occur to me to make that comparison, especially Tempe.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:59 PM

401 posts, read 2,604,620 times
Hey man I live in Columbus, Ohio but have been to Arizona (Phoenix and Scottsdale) a good 5 or 6 times for about a week or two a year. Here's my 2 cents :

The weather is totally different, humidity, rainfall and so on. Theres no beaches but from late Feb. to early June it is sunny almost everyday and very low humidity.
The nightlife is nothing great. Mill Ave. in Tempe or a few Scottsdale clubs are probably your best shot but there is not much nightlife outside of partying with friends.
Diversity-There are white Americans and there are hispanics (some legal, some not). Thats pretty much about it. A few African Americans sprinkled here and there but not many.
Phoenix is really just a big sprawling-suburb is you ask me. Downtown cant be more than ten blocks and I rarely see very many people around there past 8 or 9 o' clock if there isnt a Suns or D-Backs game. It is the 5th largest city in America with relatively no form of downtown or that many people living downtown which to me is somewhat odd. To me it doesnt have the vibe of a big city at all.

As for me, I like the area but there are also some things I dont like as much as here in Columbus. I was strongly debating going to college out there but am going to stay here for at least a year and then maybe re-consider. I really like the climate, the desert, the mountains, the low humidity, and all of the golf courses. In any event, best of luck to you

Old 02-17-2008, 03:13 AM

225 posts, read 962,127 times
How does someone from Columbus, Ohio have the audacity to critique the nightlife anywhere? Columbus is very trashy and blue collar. They have a lot of bars but they lack class and are cheap holes in the walls. Tempe is smaller but it's much more upscale than Columbus. Anyway, out of towners always assume they know the nightlife in Phoenix because they go to one place and assume that's all the city has to offer. The valley is so big that you would have to live for a few years to really appreciate its full nightlife. Phoenix' nightlife is similar to that of LA's in that it is widely dispersed throughout all of it's cities. Unlike most cities, it's not just concentrated in its downtown with nothing elsewhere. Phoenix nightlife is better than most cities in the country with the exception of about 7 or 8 cities. Scottsdale alone offers an infinite number of clubs and lounges. There is Old Town Scottsdale, North Scottsdale, and DC Ranch for starters. Tempe is huge and it's downtown has many bars and clubs. The west side even offers bars and clubs near Peoria and the new stadium. You also forgot to account for the Biltmore area which has many nice restaurants and bars. Each of the other cities has its own unique lounges, and wine bars. My husband and I don't go clubbing (we are too old) but we do occassionally go to bars and lounges for a quick drink and observe the surrounding area.

Lastly, the quality of the nightlife should be mentioned. Big college towns like Austin, Columbus and Jacksonville might have a lot of little bars and clubs all over the place but they are are hardly to the same standards as their counterparts in Phoenix. The places in Phoenix are not your usual college bar or run down hole in the wall where people are wearing plaid Abercrombie shirts and baseball hats and guzzling down cheap beer. The Phoenix area establishments are the type of places you would find in Las Vegas and LA.They usually have high cover prices and people are asked to dress up. Even the bars and clubs on Mill Avenue are pretty classy for a college campus and lack your usual meathead patronage that is found in other towns like Columbus.

In response to the OP, I think the comparisons to Orlando are fairly accurate except trade in Disney/Children themed aspects for more adult themed restaurants, bars and clubs. The city is very spread out and it does have a suburban feel to it. I would not recommend it for what you are seeking. If that's what you are seeking, I would probably look into San Francisco, Seattle or perhaps even Las Vegas' strip. Phoenix offers a great nightlife but you will need a car.

Last edited by sweettearose; 02-17-2008 at 04:01 AM..

Old 02-17-2008, 09:00 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,304,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettearose View Post
Lastly, the quality of the nightlife should be mentioned. Big college towns like Austin, Columbus and Jacksonville might have a lot of little bars and clubs all over the place but they are are hardly to the same standards as their counterparts in Phoenix. The places in Phoenix are not your usual college bar or run down hole in the wall where people are wearing plaid Abercrombie shirts and baseball hats and guzzling down cheap beer. The Phoenix area establishments are the type of places you would find in Las Vegas and LA.They usually have high cover prices and people are asked to dress up. Even the bars and clubs on Mill Avenue are pretty classy for a college campus and lack your usual meathead patronage that is found in other towns like Columbus.
I mostly agree with your assessment. Nightlife in Phoenix, if you define it as the "bar and club scene," at least in the Tempe-Scottsdale corridor, is actually pretty good. I wouldn't compare it Las Vegas-- there is no way anyone could ever compare Phoenix and Vegas nightlife, but compared to most American cities it's pretty good. There are plenty of the trashy bars in Tempe and Mill Ave with the cheap beer too. But then there are some classier ones too, like Rula Bula. The venues for nightlife take a different form in Phoenix than in most places-- all over the place, but especially in Tempe and south Scottsdale, you'll find a lot of open air bars where you can sit on the patio and drink outside. The only other place where I've seen similar "outdoor bars" is San Diego. I don't think there's anywhere in Tempe or south Scottsdale where people would regularly get dressed up. Downtown Scottsdale and north Scottsdale, yes, there are clubs that are very selective about who they let in, with dress codes. I have no complaints about nightlife in Phoenix, surprisingly, and I can complain a lot. I'm not a drinker at all, and I absolutely hate bars (unless if it's more of a brewery restaurant, like Four Peaks), even though I have been to a few. You might find me at some of the late night coffee establishments around town though!

Old 02-17-2008, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the replies guys!!!!! This was just what I needed! Next time I'm out there I will try and check out Tempe. I'm pretty ignorant to Phoenix so thanks for the advice .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area