Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2016, 07:05 AM

4 posts, read 4,163 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had to pull a trailer from Phoenix to Edwards Colorado? My daughter and I are not looking forward to hauling a heavy trailer up and down the mountains, so just looking for the best way, which would be the "flattest terrain" way possible. Even if we have to go the "long" way to get there. Trying to avoid the truck overheating and another trip with white knuckles. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 07:37 AM

7,167 posts, read 9,219,662 times
Edwards Co is at almost 10,000ft elevation. I don't know the answer to your question but somewhere you will have to climb that hill. I would look at the recommendations on MapQuest or Google Maps and take what looks to you like the best route. Just looking at the terrain, you can add hundreds or even thousands of miles without gaining easier access.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:39 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,205,311 times
It's basin and range country. There's no way out of the basin (Phoenix) that does not involve going up and down a couple thousand feet (or more).

Old 04-25-2016, 09:41 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,676,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terishep View Post
Has anyone had to pull a trailer from Phoenix to Edwards Colorado? My daughter and I are not looking forward to hauling a heavy trailer up and down the mountains, so just looking for the best way, which would be the "flattest terrain" way possible. Even if we have to go the "long" way to get there. Trying to avoid the truck overheating and another trip with white knuckles. Any suggestions?
"Flattest terrain"? What's the punchline?

Old 04-25-2016, 10:48 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
You can be relatively flat up to a point by going WAY out of your way, but as others have said, you are eventually going to have to make that climb to 10,000, and it may just be a steeper, more problematic climb from those lower places.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:18 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,366,431 times
I have driven the I-70 through there and I can't think of any other way that would be better for you than just going the normal/shortest ways. There's not really any "easy" way to get there in terms of elevation. I think your best bet may just be the normal/shortest way.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:07 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,140,766 times
Extra large radiator on the truck and take it slow and easy.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:22 PM

4 posts, read 4,163 times
Thanks for all of your responses! Probably wont be doing this.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:43 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,594,451 times
Just take it slow and roll with the big rigs. Likely, you won't have a choice but to go slow. Every once in a while I have to haul a trailer to do a job in Northern AZ. Going 15 MPH on inclines with your pedal on the floor are not fun.. My poor F150.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:26 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,075,898 times
Are you familiar with towing?? How far and where have you all ready towed with your vehicle, if so what was the weight of what you towed and how did it do? What is your vehicle you will be using, (model, engine, transmission,)? Whats the tow rating on your truck, and the weight of the trailer (+ cargo)? How many miles on your vehicle, do you do your own maintenance, is it up to date?

As most said, a quick search shows Edwards CO, as 7,221 feet. about a 6k foot climb, but that's all mountains so you will probably climb twice that and drop in between. You will climb higher than that just going form phoenix, to flagstaff.

A quick elevation map looks like if you really wanted to avoid the climb your best chance is to go through Deming, then head north, (this is half way east through new mexico,) then heading north/north east and going into Edwards from the east and through Denver. Your straight shot is a little over 11 hrs the short way, but going through to Deming, NM then up north is between 15-18hrs depending on where you go from their. I have never taken that drive up north of Deming, so I can't tell you how bad it is, but if its the continuous mountains that are going to be a problem, it may be worth going the long way, and getting it to or as close to Denver as possible. You could always rent a bigger truck to do a local run once you are close enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: