Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 01:38 PM

16,411 posts, read 30,397,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
I'll just ring the bell for eBay here...I find a lot of great things on eBay that are impossible or next-to-impossible to find in stores. You can find vintage, recent past, any label you can imagine...it's a gold mine for men's clothing. I am a tall individual and therefore I always look at the measurements and know that the shirt I am getting will be long enough which is nice because I can get a lot more variety that will fit me than I would ever find in a bricks-and-mortar store. The prices are hard to beat and I can scroll through hundreds, or more, shirts in a relatively short amount of time looking for whatever pattern/color/etc I am looking for. You can sort by size, brand, new/used, you name it.

I tried that for a short while just to find out that MOST of what I bought - even from highly rated sellers - was not as described.

I purchased shirts that were missized on a couple of occasions. However, many of the "new shirts" were either worn for a while or were returns in less than ideal shape.

Personally, I would rather drop by the off-price stores (TJX, Beall's or at times Ross) than deal with the folks at Ebay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 03:45 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,609,064 times
#firstworldproblems

Old 05-11-2016, 03:47 PM

Do you wear these Izod polos with the collar turned up or down?

Old 05-11-2016, 03:59 PM

7,333 posts, read 12,412,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCats View Post
Do you wear these Izod polos with the collar turned up or down?
Down.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:04 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,137,621 times
I haven't shopped at Macy's in 15 years. The main reason is that in Connecticut that bought up all the small independent department store chains. The end result being no matter what type of event you bought clothes for at Macy's there was at least one if not more people wearing the same outfit as you.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:14 PM

416 posts, read 591,767 times
The Macys here suck more than the norm. I figure the area and regional managers here just don't care, so I take my business elsewhere if I can help it.

I wish they'd open up a Belk or something around here.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:19 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,374,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I tried that for a short while just to find out that MOST of what I bought - even from highly rated sellers - was not as described.

I purchased shirts that were missized on a couple of occasions. However, many of the "new shirts" were either worn for a while or were returns in less than ideal shape.

Personally, I would rather drop by the off-price stores (TJX, Beall's or at times Ross) than deal with the folks at Ebay.
Agreed. I would say maybe 7-8% of the shirts I buy have unnoticed holes or bleach stains or what have you. Generally if you send a message with a photo on it, they will just refund you the money, a few will make you ship it back to them. I have had pretty good luck being able to kind of tell from the photos if an item has been worn a lot or not.

I do find that the measurements are usually pretty accurate, but it is a volume business and people don't inspect their shirts that closely besides the time it takes them to snap a few photos and measure them, if they measure them at all (I won't buy unless they measure).

I don't really pay attention to the categories too much...I agree with you, unless it's got retailer tags on it, it's usually not "new" no matter what they say.

I guess the way to make eBay work is to be a volume buyer at relatively low price points because you are absolutely right that you will encounter issues regularly. I would say at least 10% of what I buy that isn't damaged, I still end up donating or giving to friends/family if they're interested in the shirt because it wasn't quite what I thought it would be in terms of how it looks in person. However if I can buy, 5-10 top brand shirts used for the price of one such shirt new, I find that I am still saving a lot of money anyway. And it's a lot cheaper if you make a mistake than if you buy a new shirt in the store at a retail price and then decide you don't like it that much after all.

So I would say I am financially motivated to an extent, but also just that you can find so many more patterns, colors, styles, brands, online than you can ever find in the stores. That's probably my top motivation.

Locally speaking, I find Stein Mart to have a little nicer stuff than Ross, but Ross tends to be a little less expensive. Ross is more hit or miss and they turn over their inventory more often so you might come one day and find a lot of items on the rack if they've just had a big shipment in, or another day you might come in and it's been picked pretty bare. Stein Mart, I've noticed a lot of the same inventory for a matter of several months. But Stein Mart is a bigger store and you can therefore find more items in general. Lastly, Marshalls can be pretty good, I guess it's sort of like a Stein Mart but smaller.

I also have noticed that certain stores for each of these retailers tend to have different sorts of inventory. There is one location in particular that I think I have bought my wife three or four nice leather bags at in the last couple years, they always have better selection and lower prices than all of the other Ross/Marshalls/Stein Mart stores I go to. It seems so random, but it pays to shop around sometimes even in this day and age.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:09 AM

772 posts, read 843,235 times
The most surprising thing about this thread is that Macy's is still open, and people still wear izod are they not closing down stores, and going to way of the dodo. For me I prefer to wear Nike Drifit and Fila performance polos. In the heat of Phoenix they allow you to breath more and stay cooler. You should try them Christopher they even have them in pink.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:50 AM

586 posts, read 544,848 times
Isn't there an Izod store at one of the Outlets in Phoenix area?? Or has it closed?

Old 05-12-2016, 11:59 AM

Lacoste is better anyway The little alligators are cute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area