Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 10:45 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,725,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
I live in a house in Sun City with my mom and brother. We all get along and save a ton of money this way. Sometimes though we'll be driving around more working class areas such as older neighborhoods in North Phoenix, that endless grid of 1970's ranch homes, and it looks very appealing to me. Young people living there, your motorhome parked beside the house, maybe a little project car outside in progress. It looks so all American, those neighborhoods remind me so much of the inland empire cities of Los Angeles. My "roommates", don't see at as I do though. All they see is pickup trucks and riffraff, and that the people are mostly cigarette smoking, beer drinking types with the occasional gun shot heard in the neighborhood.

Does anybody here live in neighborhoods like these? There's got to be normal types that live in these hoods too.
The normal types don't live in the riffraff neighborhoods. They live in nicer areas. There are a lot of nice neighborhoods in the valley that have well kept 60s and 70s ranch homes, but no riffraff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 11:03 AM

482 posts, read 534,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrisSevvin View Post
my first house here was brand new and it was falling apart after only three years.
What exactly do you mean by "falling apart"?? Didn't it come with a 10 year new home warranty like most ALL do?

Old 05-24-2016, 11:58 PM

23,302 posts, read 29,167,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Yes, the 70's is when home construction took a step back, IMO. Not as sturdy, not as many built-ins, not as well made.
My cut-off date searching for a home to buy is 1975. After that, in a rush to build faster, they turned away from cinder block/slump brick construction and I won't even consider a house with wood-frame construction as I have an unreasonable fear of fires, and it's also less "candy" for the termites to eat. And if I have to re-plumb, re-wire, put on a new roof, a small price to pay for feeling more secure in my dwelling.

I did that with my 1948 home in the Fairview Historic District back in 1993-1996.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
My cut-off date searching for a home to buy is 1975. After that, in a rush to build faster, they turned away from cinder block/slump brick construction and I won't even consider a house with wood-frame construction as I have an unreasonable fear of fires, and it's also less "candy" for the termites to eat.
That is simply not true. There is a neighborhood right across from mine with block construction that was built in the mid 90's. There are several still being built that way today. You need to look around more, they're out there.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:52 AM

39 posts, read 43,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petlover8 View Post
What exactly do you mean by "falling apart"?? Didn't it come with a 10 year new home warranty like most ALL do?
  1. The dishwasher fell out of the counter. The installer never secured any but the front top mounts.
  2. The doors showed light most of the way around. Dust would build daily in the entry.
  3. The sliding windows and door stuck. Never adjusted.
  4. Cracks developed vertically on the southern wall.
  5. The plumbing burst in the attic. A terminating end (that blue and red stuff) cracked and popped off. The attic flooded. The builder was out of business. The plumber refused to even contact me.
  6. Other small annoyances not worth recalling.
This was our first new house. We bought it under construction. My lack of experience left me vulnerable to the builder's ascendance. He didn't want us on the property while they were working. I should have made myself foreman.

My favorite house was a big white farm house on a big farm; built in 1870. It caused some problems of its own but the house had character. If I ever get the chance for a century house again I'll snatch it up.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
My cut-off date searching for a home to buy is 1975. After that, in a rush to build faster, they turned away from cinder block/slump brick construction and I won't even consider a house with wood-frame construction as I have an unreasonable fear of fires,
*Raises hand* Survivor of two house fires.

My current house is block, built 1977. I am happy with it, but I want to move some doors around and that means light switches, too. I'll curse the block until the project is done, but then I'll be happy with it again. Block really is a pain in the ass if you have to do anything with it but leave it alone. But it's nice to lean on an exterior wall and get a solid thud rather than a wiggle.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
The normal types don't live in the riffraff neighborhoods. They live in nicer areas. There are a lot of nice neighborhoods in the valley that have well kept 60s and 70s ranch homes, but no riffraff.
I just left a 1973 neighborhood that was quite nice and very well kept. It isn't the age of the homes but the mentality of the residents that sets the appearance. I avoided making an offer on a big 70's house that was just remodeled, looked good and was well worth the price, but, the neighborhood was unappealing. You don't know until you get there.

Same with the nice neighborhood. Everything looked so nice initially I didn't think I could afford it.

Don't avoid a house for it's age. You at least need to visit it.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrisSevvin View Post
  1. The dishwasher fell out of the counter. The installer never secured any but the front top mounts.
  2. The doors showed light most of the way around. Dust would build daily in the entry.
  3. The sliding windows and door stuck. Never adjusted.
  4. Cracks developed vertically on the southern wall.
  5. The plumbing burst in the attic. A terminating end (that blue and red stuff) cracked and popped off. The attic flooded. The builder was out of business. The plumber refused to even contact me.
  6. Other small annoyances not worth recalling.
This was our first new house. We bought it under construction. My lack of experience left me vulnerable to the builder's ascendance. He didn't want us on the property while they were working. I should have made myself foreman.

My favorite house was a big white farm house on a big farm; built in 1870. It caused some problems of its own but the house had character. If I ever get the chance for a century house again I'll snatch it up.
Your first mistake was purchasing a new home with no warranty expressed or implied. The other was buying from a no name builder. There are several reputable builders in the Valley. I purchased a new home from Lennar back in 1997, 19 years ago. It came with a 10 year warranty. About 6 years into it, I had to have my patio roof replaced. They did it without incident or cost. They still make good new homes. You as the consumer have to be careful WHO you buy from. Older homes can quickly become an expensive nightmare far more readily than newer, warrantied one's can.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:14 PM

23,302 posts, read 29,167,778 times
Quote:
That is simply not true. There is a neighborhood right across from mine with block construction that was built in the mid 90's. There are several still being built that way today. You need to look around more, they're out there.
That's really encouraging, that they were building them into the mid-90's in Phoenix. As I scout around for a house to retire in, in Tucson, it appears that block construction went out in the 70's some time. Here, in Las Vegas, block construction ended around 1970.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Your first mistake was ...
No. My first mistake was having a Realtor that showed me what he wanted to sell rather than what I wanted to buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area