Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 10:00 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,150 times

Advertisements

I see good and bad sides of swamp coolers.

There is a cost savings to having them but the downside is they can only be used during the dry part of the summertime, when the monsoon season arrives they can barely be used at all.

I have to wonder how swamp coolers are easy to maintain, it seems they require more maintaining than air-conditioners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 08:25 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Here is something new which I haven't seen before Patio Pal | Phoenix Manufacturing Inc.

Patio Pal cooler it doesn't look ugly like most portable coolers do.
For $2650.00. I think I'll stick with a ice chest and ceiling fans. Or a mister.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:42 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
It's installed on the roof did it all myself if your handy you can too. Took me a weekend cut a hole in my roof framed 2x4 under where the cooler is to reinforce the plywood. I used 16" flex duct to tap into my AC ducting. Ran the electrical, water, and thermostat wire few other things. I have heard AC contractors can charge up to $2000 to install them while I think that is way too much I think you could have it done for about $500. Mine looks lot like this in the picture
Hey kell, nice set up there. What brand is your cooler?

I need to buy a sheet metal part called a "square to round" for my Mastercool evap. Do you know where I should go? I'm in SE valley, Chandler by I-10.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:50 AM

Evap coolers are WAY under used by homeowners in Phoenix, IMO. Basically I see it as the fault of major home builders who don't want to offer them as an option to home buyers. They're super easy to maintain if they're installed at ground-level, like mine is (obviously harder to maintain one on a roof.) You'll see them in Albuquerque on almost every home. Power companies don't like them because it eats away at their revenue and the fact that they're not effective during the monsoon.

Evap coolers will easily beat the efficiency of even the highest SEER a/c or heat pumps. If someone says otherwise, they don't know their facts.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:40 AM

8 posts, read 7,708 times
I just bought a swamp cooler from Costco for 399 for a window unit that is now running in my garage. it is working remarkably well. haven't gotten the first electric bill though. i have it on a timerand so far so good. 399 seemed like it was worth a try. i'm happy for the most part! but i have never been in AZ for monsoon season... yet.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdell1 View Post
I just bought a swamp cooler from Costco for 399 for a window unit that is now running in my garage. it is working remarkably well. haven't gotten the first electric bill though. i have it on a timerand so far so good. 399 seemed like it was worth a try. i'm happy for the most part! but i have never been in AZ for monsoon season... yet.
Don't fret. Leaving the thing running 24/7 will cost pennies (or dimes.)

Old 06-11-2016, 12:07 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,643,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
I see good and bad sides of swamp coolers.

There is a cost savings to having them but the downside is they can only be used during the dry part of the summertime, when the monsoon season arrives they can barely be used at all.

I have to wonder how swamp coolers are easy to maintain, it seems they require more maintaining than air-conditioners.
There is a huge cost savings vs. an air conditioner. HUGE......but unfortunately a swampy just doesn't work when the dew point gets above about 50. At a dew point of 55, a swamp cooler will just make you miserable and you'll be forced to use A/C. Once you see how much money you are saving using your swampy, you will look forward to the day when the dew points go down again

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdell1 View Post
You're going to love your swampy when you get your first electric bill.
Do yourself a favor and just expect that your swamp cooler just isn't going to work well in August. It's unfortunate but that's just the way it is. Come the first or second week of September and your swampy will keep you cool and comfortable until it cools down again.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:44 AM

13,236 posts, read 7,286,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Hey kell, nice set up there. What brand is your cooler?

I need to buy a sheet metal part called a "square to round" for my Mastercool evap. Do you know where I should go? I'm in SE valley, Chandler by I-10.

It's a mastercool they sell them at homedepot I think they got bought out by another company I don't think they are called mastercool now. I just got my RO filter working on it this week and humid weather showed up early so we are on AC now. I'm hoping we dry out next week can use it again.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:38 PM

^^^ You supply your evap cooler with purified RO water or the RO's waste water?

Old 06-14-2016, 09:35 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
There is a huge cost savings vs. an air conditioner. HUGE......but unfortunately a swampy just doesn't work when the dew point gets above about 50. At a dew point of 55, a swamp cooler will just make you miserable and you'll be forced to use A/C. Once you see how much money you are saving using your swampy, you will look forward to the day when the dew points go down again

You're going to love your swampy when you get your first electric bill.
Do yourself a favor and just expect that your swamp cooler just isn't going to work well in August. It's unfortunate but that's just the way it is. Come the first or second week of September and your swampy will keep you cool and comfortable until it cools down again.
I understand the cost savings but the timeframe when you can use a swamp cooler seems pretty limited.

Much of July, August, and September are too humid for swamp coolers, it seems like June is the only summer month when it would work to someone's advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: