Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 08:52 PM

10 posts, read 9,138 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

Thanks to everyone who helped answer questions on my last post. We have decided on most likely Tempe, or possibly Mesa. I think we will enjoy the Tempe vibe more from what I've read, but it's hard to say without having been there. We will be flying down to visit in November, and would love to have a list of apartments/townhomes to check out. We won't be applying at that point, but we want to at least see what neighborhoods we prefer (and can afford), and what's out there in general.

So, any recommendations for housing in Tempe or Mesa? I am leaning towards beginning my degree at Mesa Community College, and transferring to ASU, so either location would work I believe.

What we are looking for:

-Under $1000/month. We are willing to pay more for a house or townhouse, but for an apartment (for two people) I would like to stay under that price. We would prefer lower of course, and it seems like that would be possible in the Phoenix area!
-We are open to a one bedroom, or even a decent size studio. We are not terribly picky on space. More is better but it is not a top concern.
-A pool on the grounds. I'm not moving to Arizona without a pool, it's just part of the deal.
-Clean, no infestations.
-A safe neighborhood is a must have. I would rather pay an extra couple hundred and feel secure about what's going on in my neighborhood at night.
-We would love to live someone with bars, restaurants, activities, and what not within walking distance or a short drive. We do have cars though so this isn't a must have.

That about sums it up. Thank you all for your help!

Kaitlyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 07:27 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,351,522 times
Tempe on average will be a bit more expensive than Mesa. Also, Mesa spans a fairly large amount of area, and the commute will be a pain if you rent in far east Mesa.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:49 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,948,869 times
You'll definitely be able to find what you're looking for in Tempe or West Mesa. I'm currently in a 2 bed, 1 bath for $787, about a 10 min bike ride to ASU campus. We've got a pool, coin-op laundry on site, and two reserved parking spaces (one covered, one uncovered). We pay for electric and gas, landlord covers water, sewer and trash. We're right off one of the Tempe Orbit lines, so I could also take a free bus to campus if I don't feel like walking / biking.

Definitely learn the grid system, at least around Tempe / Mesa, before coming out. Most people will give you directions by crossroads (i.e., "We're at the Northeast corner of Priest and University"). Knowing where you're going without relying on Google Maps makes touring multiple apartments much, much easier. It also helps when you go to make a decision. Maybe you liked the area around Rural and Broadway, but weren't huge fans of Mill and Southern. Knowing the general layout of the freeways is good to know as well.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:36 PM

Your location sounds perfect. That's awesome. And I appreciate the advice. I'll be studying maps like crazy for the next few months for sure!

Old 06-06-2016, 10:50 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,948,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitlynbroock View Post
Your location sounds perfect. That's awesome. And I appreciate the advice. I'll be studying maps like crazy for the next few months for sure!
Most of the housing around my neighborhood isn't posted via regular sites. Look up "Maple Ash Farmer Wilson Neighborhood" on facebook -- that's the neighborhood facebook page. There's also a housing search page on facebook, where people post rooms / apartments / houses for rent. Craigslist is also pretty popular around here, just be mindful of scams.

Check out the map I've attached. I pointed out MCC. ASU is near the middle of the image. The yellow box is the neighborhood in question.

I'm in these apartments. They're older / smaller. Small kitchen (no dishwasher), no laundry in-unit (coin-op on site, though), but there's a pool and the price is good. A good friend of mine is just down the street, in Hidden Glen Apartments (they don't have their own website, but they occasionally have 1 or 2 beds come open). You can get a 1 bed apartment around this area for around $550-650 pretty easily. That'll typically include sewer and trash, sometimes water. You'll need to pay electric, cable/internet, and possibly gas. To give you an idea of what you'll spend around here: Our two bed is $787 / month. That includes sewer, water and trash. Our electric runs between $30-60 / month (depends on how much we use the AC). Gas is about $20-25 / month (gas water heater and gas stove). Internet is $35 / month through Cox (we don't bother paying for cable TV). So, all in, it's about $900 / month ($450 each).

The only "downside" about this area is the proximity to the airport -- I don't mind, but there are low-flying airplanes. Some people are sensitive to this, and avoid this area because of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for safe, clean, and affordable housing in Tempe or Mesa... ideas?-tempe-map.png  

Old 06-06-2016, 01:52 PM

Thank you so much! I really appreciate this information.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:31 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,505,026 times
West Mesa is very sketchy but it should have places with cheaper rents for under $1,000.00 per month.

If it were me I'd search in Tempe before Mesa especially if you're planning on transferring to ASU.

I agree about the pool part, the three best ways of beating the heat are a good air-conditioning system, a pool, and lots of shadetrees.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:05 AM

240 posts, read 838,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
West Mesa is very sketchy...
West Mesa is not "very sketchy" for Pete's sake. Sure, there are spots that aren't so nice, but that is true in Tempe as well.

If the OP is planning on attending MCC, then it would make sense to live near MCC, moving closer to ASU should the need/desire arise, though the two main campuses aren't but five miles apart. One place close to MCC that seems to meet the OP's requirements would be here. This would make the OP's commute to MCC just a few short minutes. Nice!

See pages 28 and 29 of this MCC annual report to view some crime stats for the main MCC campus, which just happens to be in, gasp, West Mesa.

OP, it's good that you're coming for a visit to get a feel for yourself as to where you'd prefer to live.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:37 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,057,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dura View Post
West Mesa is not "very sketchy" for Pete's sake. Sure, there are spots that aren't so nice, but that is true in Tempe as well.
My thoughts exactly.

I just moved to Scottsdale after living in New York and California. Mesa is definitely not sketchy, just like rush hour traffic here really isn't that bad.

But if you've never experienced LA or NY rush hour traffic or sketchiness, then I guess you might think otherwise about Arizona.

Old 06-11-2016, 03:24 PM

Thank you, thank you. I looked at a handful of apartments around MCC, which all looked awesome judging by the website. Then I read the reviews and found an abundance of complaints about roaches. That makes me nervous.

To be honest, I'm from what I consider to be a safe part of Portland, and have grown up with the mentality that I'm perfectly fine going places alone at night. I have never felt unsafe so I do want to be extra picky in that sense.... I don't need to live in the fanciest part of town, nor could I likely afford it, but safety is a big concern of mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area