Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 03:43 PM

54,500 posts, read 33,912,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickluva View Post
Yeeeeah right I hope you don't goto bed every night thinkin that.

About the pretty much guarenteed thing i'm not far off with that because i read that in some report i'll quote it as soon as I can find it again.
I don't have any problems going to bed every night, and if you're going to quote something from New Times or some other newspaper like it, then I'd say it's time for you to change your news source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 03:45 PM

183 posts, read 287,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
So I'm guaranteed to spend a night in jail there? Why is that? I can't think of anything I do that would land me there. I learned all my stupid lessons a while ago and behave better now that I have a wife and a lot more to lose. I've had lots of run-ins with the cops around here and in other states, all speed/car related. Still haven't gone to jail. And I've almost always been carrying a gun with me when stopped. Only once was I even asked to show my permit. Some people are arrest-prone. I'm not one of them.
That's good for you now but wait until the days they'll be able to pull up anything from your past or present and they arrest you only because they didn't like what they saw

Old 02-16-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
We are not talking about Bush -

And, the examples I gave you are only a small number of very liberal elected officials in Arizona -

OBTW - Arnold? He is no conservative
I know we're not talkin about Bush I used that to my advantage to blow a hole in your theory But all joking aside in some cases just because they're democrat doesn't exactly mean that they're liberal. I don't know every official in this state but I do know that it's a clear red movement in this state and the few liberals (including Janet the gov,the phoenix mayor and atty gen) are just pawns in the big scheme of things. That why I stated that "One Monkey Don't Stop No Show"

Arnold not a conservative??? puh-leeez he's against illegal immigration(even though he was considered one back in the 60's) he's for capital punishment, he's a avid fan of Nixon, Reagan and both Bush's. If it barks like a dog my god it must be a dog

Old 02-16-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
No, he is not.

He is a tough Sheriff

He does not run a country club

And, that is why he is so popular with people in Arizona - on both sides of the political aisle.
I stand by on what i previously said. The people of Arizona who vote for him are being fooled. You're exactly right he doesn't run a country club he runs something thats more in the lines of a CONCENTRATION CAMP. Oh I also guess that you think that messing around with prostitues isn't criminal either

Old 02-16-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I don't have any problems going to bed every night, and if you're going to quote something from New Times or some other newspaper like it, then I'd say it's time for you to change your news source.
Honestly I don't like the New Times they make some good points sometimes but with some of the writers on there "I" myself could give them a run for their money. So you think I should start reading that trash they call a newspaper here the Republic?? Or should I start watching Fox News??? Really what should be my source for news?? Keep looking up to that criminal Sheriff Joe cuz he's broken many laws and has abused his power many times. Now that's a fact that doesn't have to be even read in print

Old 02-16-2008, 05:26 PM

I don't have a problem with Sheriff Joe's approach. The truth is many criminals do not mind going to prison because it's seen as an empowering act by many gang members. Many of them in their community will perceive them of being stronger or more worthy of respect because they served tie. They will go to prison and become stronger by lifting weights. They will receive tattoos and become indoctrined into prison gangs.

Nobody wants to goto jail not even gang members.They just try to make the best of their situation and found a way become more powerful by bulding a network within the jails and be twice as vicious when they come out. That's been going on since the days of Al Capone and Sheriff Joe ain't gonna crack that either

I have a hard time disliking Sheriff Joe for taking eliminating those aspects. Sherrff Joe's approach is brilliant. He is attacking that very institution by attacking prisoner's self esteem and pride. He does that by humiliating them and making others see that prison is not cool; it's something to be mocked not celebrated as in other states.

Uh Sheriff Joe doesn't eliminate too much of anything.Since he's been sheriff of this county crimes rates and gangs have been rapdily increasing. Maryvale for example went from just working class to downright scary. Sheriff Joe has no precedence in AZ's state prison system he's only in charge of Maricopa county jails. Most of his inmates are usually DUI offenders,illegals,people in central booking and people who awaiting trials that are being held without bond or who can't afford to be bailed out. There aren't really that many animals in county like there are in the state prisons it's a pretty broad range of people. If you or any of your family members were to get arrested tonight for something you would end up in one of his jails. Joe is just playin big fish in a small pond.

I think this speaks well of Arizona and shows that our approach is progressive and effective. Other places might try to torture or do the opposite and be apathetic but Joe has found an effective way to make their stay unpleasant without resorting to torture. Some have issues with the image but personally I think it's funny and I'm glad those criminals are enduring that as they as should since it was their lack of responsibility that got them into trouble.

No way does this show Arizona as progressive and effective. It makes this place seem gung-ho and backwards. Oh my the bumpkin sheriff is locking everybody up out there in ol' Arizony What kind of progess is he making?? The criminals are still committing the crimes here. The only thing that you can say that he's doing is putting some pressure on the illegals here. Again I dunno know what's the whole beef with brown people out here but that is his current national media meal ticket cuz the pink outfits and tent city thing is played out. Take off the rose colored shades he does torure the inmates and it's not funny at all regardless of what kind of crime they're accused of comitting. Some are in there just because and are not guilty of anything

I also don't equate his approach with a southern redneck image. I've seen sheriffs in Texas and Georgia. In those states, there is a lot of unreported abuse and racism; it's under the table. Sherrff Joe humiliates his prisoners and takes away their comfort but he hasn't taken away their civil rights and many free prisoners will often speak positivelly about Sheriff Joe.

Are you serious? There are alot of unreported abuse and racism in these jails too and alot things are under the table. Not only does he take away their civil rights he treats them as animals and the people that I know that have been in his jails talk so badly about Sheriff Joe

Old 02-16-2008, 07:20 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,621,170 times
Not the biggest Sheriff Joe fan but some of the things he does is legit. The Working Chain gangs is one of them. I see nothing wrong it. I see nothing wrong with Tent city or the pink attire the prisoners wear.

My issues with Sheriff Joe is his indifference to abuse from his officers (plus all the lawsuits from deaths and abuse), his abuse of powers (trying to arrest political rivals), and the fact that he hasn't found a camera he doesn't love.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:18 PM

2,791 posts, read 7,478,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Not the biggest Sheriff Joe fan but some of the things he does is legit. The Working Chain gangs is one of them. I see nothing wrong it. I see nothing wrong with Tent city or the pink attire the prisoners wear.

My issues with Sheriff Joe is his indifference to abuse from his officers (plus all the lawsuits from deaths and abuse), his abuse of powers (trying to arrest political rivals), and the fact that he hasn't found a camera he doesn't love.
Thanks for posting the above. For a moment -- earlier in this thread -- I thought you had gone over to the dark side, but I now see the nuances of your position. I used to think that Sheriff Joe had some good qualities, but the New Times arrests were so abusive that everything the sheriff and his allies do is now tainted in my mind. As for the chain gangs, as mentioned earlier, I have nothing against inmate work crews, but the term "chain gang" and the striped uniforms recall the Deep South during the Jim Crow era. Whenever Sheriff Joe retires or is no longer with us (I don't have much hope that he'll be defeated at the polls, although his ally Andrew Thomas may be.), I hope that his successor will keep the "chain gang" program going with less offensive rhetoric and symbolism. In any case, I respect your opinion and appreciate the clarification of your position.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:48 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,748,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickluva View Post
That's good for you now but wait until the days they'll be able to pull up anything from your past or present and they arrest you only because they didn't like what they saw
I have read your posts and I completly understand what your trying to get others to understand.
If I were you though I wouldn't waste my breath.

Unless someone has had the unfortunate luck to have to deal with the sheriff or one of his goom-bas or had a family member die under his care,they really don't care and believe that he and his tactics are good for the county.

The sheriff has the characteristics and tecniques of a police squad in a third world nation believing that torture and humiliation equal discipline.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
I have read your posts and I completly understand what your trying to get others to understand.
If I were you though I wouldn't waste my breath.

Unless someone has had the unfortunate luck to have to deal with the sheriff or one of his goom-bas or had a family member die under his care,they really don't care and believe that he and his tactics are good for the county.

The sheriff has the characteristics and tecniques of a police squad in a third world nation believing that torture and humiliation equal discipline.
Good point! But it's fun watching this post go 6 pages deep so far
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area