Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2016, 07:08 PM

116 posts, read 284,652 times

Advertisements

Looking at new construction, but just discovered the Rainbow Valley Transfer Station just south of the community we are considering. I know about landfills, but this is a new concept for me. Are they noisy and smelly or am I blowing things out of proportion? Can they increase the size to accommodate an increasing population or turn the facility into something more? The county website just gives limited information. Would appreciate any input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 07:38 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,955,180 times
Depends on how set you are on that house. I wouldn't imagine a landfill would smell good on a hot summer day. I'd also imagine a lot of bugs and strays.

But if you're willing to put up with it I don't see why it'd be an issue. Some people mind some don't about those sorts of things.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Depends on how set you are on that house. I wouldn't imagine a landfill would smell good on a hot summer day. I'd also imagine a lot of bugs and strays.

But if you're willing to put up with it I don't see why it'd be an issue. Some people mind some don't about those sorts of things.
So is a Garbage Transfer Station like a short term landfill? I am trying to understand exactly what this is.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:52 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
A transfer station is where trucks collecting trash unload it for pickup by bigger trucks that haul it to the landfill. Usually there is no trash stored there. I have been there several times and never noticed a great deal of noise, smell, flies, etc. Definitely nothing like a landfill. It is a pretty much state of the art operation.

How close are you?

I live in the area. A bigger concern around here is the dairy operation on Elliot west of Estrella Prkway and some fields down in Rainbow Valley that spread manure from time to time. The dairy can be detected by nose some distance away, but it's just sort of a background smell in Estrella, not really bad. The flies were gawd awful from the ag activities this year. It was hard to go outside. Supposedly the county cracked down and they are gone. Probably was the heat. We haven't had them like that before, so I hope its a one off. Other things include at least one hay fire a year in Rainbow and one fire in the Gila River bed that give us some smoke depending on wind direction. As for the transfer station, you would never know its there from where I am but that is maybe 5 mile away.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:07 PM

We are looking just north of there, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 mile away. New construction. Also just found out about the cattle/manure smell issues. We have visited the Estrella community many times, never encountered it. Just trying to get info on the vacant property adjacent to the southern borders, don't want any surprises down the road. KWIM??

Thanks for your input and any additional info on the area!

Stay cool! ☃

Old 06-18-2016, 08:15 PM

13,241 posts, read 7,295,079 times
I go to the Phoenix transfer station at off I17 Jomax just west of the freeway it stinks in that place in the summer I would avoid anything with in a mile of those places the day you go there the wind might be blowing the other way.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post

Do garbage transfer stations sit on landfills?? Is this a closed landfill site? I don't see any signs of an active landfill when I look at it on GoogleEarth

Old 06-20-2016, 02:15 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizfourfam View Post
Do garbage transfer stations sit on landfills?? Is this a closed landfill site? I don't see any signs of an active landfill when I look at it on GoogleEarth
No. There is no landfill near there. It is essentially a row of big dumpsters where you drop off your waste. It is then loaded onto trucks that hauls it to a landfill. There is also an area for vegetative waste like tree branches that gets mulched. The nearest landfill is in the Buckeye area by Lewis prison.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:29 PM

Default Did more research....

I called the transfer station for info, but it was closed. I then called the alternate number for info and they advised what a garbage transfer station was. I then asked about apparent mulch that appears on google earth. They advised that they do accept greenery but that some of it is used to top/grade the landfill. I asked where the landfill is and this person stated the transfer station sits on top of it. It was closed in 1983 and did not accept any toxic items. No plans to expand or reopen it.

I lived a while back approx 5 miles from a closed landfill, it was green and beautiful. Locals hiked and sledded down the hills. Turned out it was a toxic mess and one of the superfund cleanup sites back then. Well water was contaminated for miles.

I am not sure I want to be anywhere near this if the info is true....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: