Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 11:57 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,988,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
Yes, but those offices are very small in contrast to what a high-rise can accommodate. A two-story office building in the suburbs can occupy much more space than a high-rise (when you account for suburban-style parking as is common in this area) while also employing far fewer people. From what I looked up, it appears it's more that demand is just lower for offices.

More importantly: why did you write that you were interested in what other people think if you're just going to be dismissive of any critique of the area?
Because it's an interesting topic with a lot to unpack, didn't mean to come off rudely.

Your first paragraph is a good answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 11:59 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,338,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
If this is really true, why are so many people leaving the state for other states like AZ, CO, OK, WA, OR, etc. if it's so "desirable"?

Roughly 5 million people left California in the last decade. See where they went | The Sacramento Bee
Three points

1. The companies leaving California are going to Texas, Colorado and Nevada and other states. We are being passed over. We are getting our a$$ kicked by these other states quite frankly
2. While California is losing companies to other states, they are more than making up for it by creating new companies. Many people like California because of it's culture which espouses civil rights, civil liberties and free thinking
3. Since the time that Jan Brewer took office, Arizona has developed an infamous reputation for violating civil rights and becoming increasingly conservative. This is one reason why our state is being passed over for other states. Executives at companies are concerned about their children growing up in an environment that frowns upon diversity and attempts to violate civil rights, especially considering that many of these executives and engineers are minorities themselves ie Asian Americans.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:02 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,195,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
This was a good answer until the second paragraph.
It's a genuine question. It's like if I were to ask for feedback or a different perspective, and then just defend why I do what I do. A few years ago I had some difficulty on the job search and I knew it had to be me, whether that was my resume, my approach, my attitude or any other thing or combination thereof. When others looked me over, they provided valuable insight I couldn't see. This is no different, except that I had the power to make changes to improve my situation; I can't imagine you have much say or power in how this state can improve itself. I think that's the attitude that's going to hold Arizona back, because a good work ethic is hard to find around here and no one wants to put in the hard work it'll take to get this state to where it needs to be when it's just easier to defend it's present course and strategy.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:03 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,678,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Three points

1. The ones leaving California are going to Texas, Colorado and Nevada and other states. We are being passed over. We are getting our a$$ kicked by these other states quite frankly
2. While California is losing companies to other states, they are more than making up for it by creating new companies. Many people like California because of it's culture which espouses civil rights, civil liberties and free thinking
3. Since the time that Jan Brewer took office, Arizona has become an infamous reputation for violating civil rights and becoming increasingly conservative. This is one reason why our state is being passed over for other states.
Exactly, what is happening is like HG Wells' The Time Machine, Americans are metaphorically evolving into the Morlock and the Eloi, the Eloi are living in California and the NE Megalopolis, while the Morlock are being pushed into flyover country

Old 07-24-2016, 12:14 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,492,931 times
Quote:
Three points

1. The companies leaving California are going to Texas, Colorado and Nevada and other states. We are being passed over. We are getting our a$$ kicked by these other states quite frankly
3. Since the time that Jan Brewer took office, Arizona has developed an infamous reputation for violating civil rights and becoming increasingly conservative. This is one reason why our state is being passed over for other states. Executives at companies are concerned about their children growing up in an environment that frowns upon diversity and attempts to violate civil rights, especially considering that many of these executives and engineers are minorities themselves ie Asian Americans.
I agree on companies leaving CA appear to going to other states. But these are larger companies that grab the headlines usually who are moving. Smaller companies employ the vast amount of people in this nation and AZ is rated well in this regard:

Phoenix One of the Best Cities Attracting Small Businesses, NFIB Says | Phoenix New Times

Though I think you over emphasize politics. I know you are up on it/it seems to be an important factor for you but frankly most people are apathetic to politics and are largely disengaged. All one has to do is look at the number of people who vote. And the amount of people, many who are "educated", who can't even name our branches of government let alone who the VP is. And if violating the rule of law on many levels is truly a concern, based on what's going on at all levels/right up to the highest levels of our gov, I think many would outright leave our country if they were truly paying attention. And if citizens are truly here legally/have legal work permits, there is no reason to fear anything. In particular you mention Asian's.....they apparently aren't at all fearful to live here in AZ as you paint looking at the data:

http://archive.azcentral.com/news/ar...on-growth.html

Quote:
Arizona's Asian population now fastest-growing in state

And the year the above article was written was close to when sb1070 was passed, 2011. No effect on Asian immigration here.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...on-growth.html

From 2014:

Quote:
Arizona, Nevada tops for Asian population growth

Arizona’s Asian population has more than doubled since 2000 and the state ranks second in the U.S. for Asian population growth, according to a new study.

Last edited by stevek64; 07-24-2016 at 12:22 AM..

Old 07-24-2016, 01:20 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,760,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Given CA is the most populated state in the nation(39.1 million) vs the 2nd most populated state, TX(27.4 million) and AZ is way down at 6.8 million, well sure, CA better be "leading" the nation in job growth and GDP growth just by population numbers alone.
The growth that they are discussing is determined by percentages, the size of the state is irrelevant.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:13 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,756,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
Downtown is pathetic to look at, and is going to be for some time because of relatively little development. You don't have to dig too deep on this forum to read people saying how the "conservative model" works in economic development while "liberal cities decay". Oddly enough, Los Angeles is about to complete a new tallest building plus an additional six that will be taller than the tallest building in Phoenix (plus many others that are shorter); Philadelphia is also constructing a new tallest, as well as two others taller than Chase Tower; also under construction besting Phoenix are Boston (6), New York (22), San Francisco (3), and Chicago (7). Again, those numbers are omitting anything under construction shorter than Chase Tower. It also highlights the demand for office space in those cities and the relative lack thereof here. To me it's very clear that the model this state has adopted is seriously broken when very little progress is being made, and that its conservative model doesn't work. If the state isn't more proactive, it's just going to get harder and more costly to catch Phoenix up to where it needs to be.
You went on a several sentence rant about how many cities have multiple buildings under construction that are taller than the tallest one here. You then linked the mere presence of tall buildings with economic success of a given region, completely ignoring many successful cities that don't have massive skylines (silicon valley comes to mind). From here you go on to say that the conservative model doesn't work because NY, BOS, SF, ans Chicago all have many taller buildings.

If that's your sign of success the dictatorship ruling the UAE and most specifically the man ruling Dubai is the clear winner in terms of government forms that lead to the most massive economic development.

Since I happen to love high-rises I can tell you what's happening in Phoenix is not all that bizarre. What financial reason does a company have to build up here? You mention 4 cities that are directly on bodies of water and have serious density in all surrounding suburbs. Phoenix was built in the automobile era and our geography and planning history is ripe for sprawl. This is a big reason we have major job nodes spread all over the valley instead of centralized in 1 urban location. There are a lot of positives about this including less traffic congestion, interesting suburbs since downtown isn't the only place to go for jobs, arts, food, entertainment.

I'm loving what's happening downtown now and I get the impression you probably weren't here 10-20 years ago to see how far it's come. Most of us urban lovers are optimistic about the future here.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:33 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,756,471 times
Quote:
Three points

Agreed but some of these are terrible decisions, Nevada gave away a lot to land the Tesla factory and frankly it was a race to the bottom. I think it's fair to expect Arizona to compete for these companies but when they land in Texas to be "more centralized" to the US population then we have a hard battle to win there. Many companies like Texas for a lot of reasons the business climate is just one of them. Generally I'm not a Ducey fan but he does bring a much stronger business acumen then Brewer which hopefully translates well for economic growth.

And many people do not like it there. The domestic migration out of California is well documented. The creative class and venture funding available has allowed it to maintain it's population and growth by back-filling those residents with foreign immigration. As long as that trend continues it's fine but my guess is CA would like to fix this.

How a great American migration to California reversed itself

I'd like to see more centered politics but we are a boarder state that has been plagued by a lot of violent crime because of this one geographic characteristic. It's not hard to understand why people are pissed off and want control over the boarder. Sometimes this comes out in a less than professional way but I think Arpaio may finally be on his way out and I expect a Ducey government will be less likely to pass laws like 1070. It wasn't that long ago that Arizona elected a democratic governor.

Gallup considers AZ a swing state. Red States Outnumber Blue for First Time in Gallup Tracking

Old 07-24-2016, 07:54 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,678,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I'd like to see more centered politics but we are a boarder state that has been plagued by a lot of violent crime because of this one geographic characteristic. It's not hard to understand why people are pissed off and want control over the boarder. Sometimes this comes out in a less than professional way but I think Arpaio may finally be on his way out and I expect a Ducey government will be less likely to pass laws like 1070. It wasn't that long ago that Arizona elected a democratic governor.

Gallup considers AZ a swing state. Red States Outnumber Blue for First Time in Gallup Tracking

California's main problem is housing costs, and that is due to demand exceeding supply where people actually want to live, where places like Corcoran and Brawley in the middle of nowhere have very cheap housing because no one really wants to live there. That could be fixed through rezoning and building lots of mixed use high rises that are not luxury units (too many luxury apartments getting built EVERYWHERE, including here in Phoenix)

Old 07-24-2016, 08:11 AM

4,513 posts, read 4,652,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post
Nope. You're wrong again.

CA has 30% of the nation's welfare recipients. Find a state with more.
To tell somebody they are "wrong again" sounds rude. It's not necessary to tell somebody they are "wrong again". If you have good manners, you might say something like, " I think you're mistaken". There are lots of ways to tell somebody they are wrong again without being a smart ass about it. Insulting somebody for their beliefs contributes to division of the people in this country these days.

I think the way you report your "facts" are misleading at best. To say that California has 30% of the nation's welfare recipients is a different fact from 30% of California residents are welfare recipients. I don't know what percentage of California residents receive welfare, but I'd be willing to bet several states have a higher percentage of their residents receiving some type of public welfare than California's residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area