Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 11:15 AM

143 posts, read 229,838 times

Advertisements

A lot of what are today's growing multinational companies were start-ups not too long ago. Bright college grads (or drops outs in a few famous instances) either 1. Didn't want to leave the area where they went to school so stayed and built up their business from there or 2. Attracted the start ups types because of the area's perception for being the kind of place that fostered a creative entrepreneurial spirit.

How is the Phoenix region doing on this front?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 11:46 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,988,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingDetroit View Post
A lot of what are today's growing multinational companies were start-ups not too long ago. Bright college grads (or drops outs in a few famous instances) either 1. Didn't want to leave the area where they went to school so stayed and built up their business from there or 2. Attracted the start ups types because of the area's perception for being the kind of place that fostered a creative entrepreneurial spirit.

How is the Phoenix region doing on this front?
Not a perfect measure, but Phoenix ranks 26th in Venture Capital to start ups. I'd rate that right around median. Some areas, namely Colorado, Texas, and California, do very well in this category. We are doing better, ASU puts a lot into making this area popular for this type of economy, but it's still young and might take awhile before we have better results.

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/242159

Old 07-24-2016, 02:04 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,311,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingDetroit View Post
That's a good point. Many of today's larger corporations were startups not too long ago, especially the web based firms in CA like Google, Ebay, Uber, Facebook, etc. Those were the small businesses that became virtually overnight success stories and grew into globally based corporations. Phoenix needs to attract more of that talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Not a perfect measure, but Phoenix ranks 26th in Venture Capital to start ups. I'd rate that right around median. Some areas, namely Colorado, Texas, and California, do very well in this category. We are doing better, ASU puts a lot into making this area popular for this type of economy, but it's still young and might take awhile before we have better results.
It might be in the middle, but it's still not very impressive considering that our rank is along side many smaller cities/metro regions. Based on our population figures alone, we should be in the top 20 along side other large metros our size, such as Houston, Dallas, San Diego, Boston, etc.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:22 PM

394 posts, read 344,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
To tell somebody they are "wrong again" sounds rude. It's not necessary to tell somebody they are "wrong again". If you have good manners, you might say something like, " I think you're mistaken". There are lots of ways to tell somebody they are wrong again without being a smart ass about it. Insulting somebody for their beliefs contributes to division of the people in this country these days.

I think the way you report your "facts" are misleading at best. To say that California has 30% of the nation's welfare recipients is a different fact from 30% of California residents are welfare recipients. I don't know what percentage of California residents receive welfare, but I'd be willing to bet several states have a higher percentage of their residents receiving some type of public welfare than California's residents.
Typically I would not use that tone. When someone deserves my respect, they get it without question. When somene continously responds the way the person I was addressing does, that's the response they will get from me. You won't find one rude demeanor post from me when dealing with any other person - because no other responds the way he continously has. So as much as appreciate your concern, it is taken out of context.

As to the percentage of welfare - it was directly related to the conversation at the time - and was in no way misleading.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:54 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,195,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
You went on a several sentence rant about how many cities have multiple buildings under construction that are taller than the tallest one here. You then linked the mere presence of tall buildings with economic success of a given region, completely ignoring many successful cities that don't have massive skylines (silicon valley comes to mind). From here you go on to say that the conservative model doesn't work because NY, BOS, SF, ans Chicago all have many taller buildings.

If that's your sign of success the dictatorship ruling the UAE and most specifically the man ruling Dubai is the clear winner in terms of government forms that lead to the most massive economic development.

Since I happen to love high-rises I can tell you what's happening in Phoenix is not all that bizarre. What financial reason does a company have to build up here? You mention 4 cities that are directly on bodies of water and have serious density in all surrounding suburbs. Phoenix was built in the automobile era and our geography and planning history is ripe for sprawl. This is a big reason we have major job nodes spread all over the valley instead of centralized in 1 urban location. There are a lot of positives about this including less traffic congestion, interesting suburbs since downtown isn't the only place to go for jobs, arts, food, entertainment.

I'm loving what's happening downtown now and I get the impression you probably weren't here 10-20 years ago to see how far it's come. Most of us urban lovers are optimistic about the future here.
Too bad you didn't read my "several sentence rant" as I specifically stated there are exceptions, such as European cities and Washington. You must've also missed my point that I discussed how much people in Phoenix love to promote the conservative model while trashing liberal cities, and it's obviously not working in this town, and in contrast those cities apparently aren't failures when they're continuing to develop while Phoenix stagnates in new office development.

And you meant Dubai, yet initially mentioned the entire Middle East... but still that wasn't a very good explanation on your end

First of all, Islam is the dominant religion in that area, Dubai included, and among the things Muslims are forbidden to consume are pork and alcohol, and many sects require women to wear at least a hijab. Curiously, Dubai allows the sale of alcohol and pork, and covering hair isn't required for women. Sounds like a degree of relative liberalism to me. And interestingly, Dubai was more welcoming of the international community and far more aggressive about Neighboring Saudi Arabia forbids the sale of alcohol and pork, and women are required to cover their hair when in public. Still, both areas have thriving cities with high-rise development, as do Qatar, Kuwait and Bahrain. Dubai is one of seven emirates, and along with Abu Dhabi, the bulk of development occurs in only two of the seven. Much more conservative areas of the UAE are far behind these two. Both emirates and Saudi Arabia attract a large number of international immigrants to fuel rapid population growth as well, and unlike Phoenix, have been much more aggressive about diversifying their economies. Qatar, Bahrain and Kuwait are virtually city-states, as they cover such a small area and really have no choice but to build up. Most specific to Phoenix, Saudi Arabia is the most telling in that area as it's large and the population is much more like America's in that it's spread out in multiple cities. Development there is not well balanced. Whatever is built there also has no choice but to conform to Saudi laws, much like any company must conform to American federal laws. Much of the development happens in Riyadh, but relatively less happens in other parts of the country. I believe businesses have more choice in America, and there's far more competition among cities/states here than there. Far less land in Saudi Arabia is habitable compared to the US, so wherever humans live, they need to consolidate.

Your automobile explanation also fails. That doesn't explain places like Dallas, Minneapolis, Atlanta and Denver, all of which have more advanced skylines and economies, developed heavily in the automobile era, and are far from a body of water. Funny too, because though Texas and Georgia are conservative states, Dallas and Atlanta are to the left politically. The issue is that Phoenix promoted sprawl and offered a lot of cheap land while neglecting downtown. Now this is an era where people are preferring to live in more central areas. Phoenix is at a huge disadvantage here, because central Phoenix is still very suburban in design.

You are right on the 10-20 years part though. Wednesday I'm meeting with someone to lay out my job transfer plan, and after the new year I'll start trying with my company to move out of state.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:46 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,756,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post

You are right on the 10-20 years part though. Wednesday I'm meeting with someone to lay out my job transfer plan, and after the new year I'll start trying with my company to move out of state.
Good luck with your move, you seem like a well balanced person, capable of seeing different angles and digesting other points of views when making key decisions. All very excellent leadership traits.

Somehow us Phoenicians will just have to figure out how to continue life without you. We were just ranked a top-10 city for tech job growth perhaps that's our path out of stagnation post dvxhd's departure.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Good luck with your move, you seem like a well balanced person, capable of seeing different angles and digesting other points of views when making key decisions. All very excellent leadership traits.

Somehow us Phoenicians will just have to figure out how to continue life without you. We were just ranked a top-10 city for tech job growth perhaps that's our path out of stagnation post dvxhd's departure.
Wonderful assessment, when you know very little about me, and really offered nothing in the past to make those ridiculous points you did. I guess in that regard, based on my experience with locals here, you've found a good fit to call home

After I leave, just as now, I really won't care what you do or what becomes of this town. Live happy, or die miserable, I won't care as it's not my concern. Frankly, I'd rather every entitled gun nut, neo-Nazi and right-wing kook in the country comes here after I've gone, because I'd rather they not live around me. As with a lot of projects that never took off here, I'll believe those results when I see something substantive. I mean, the article you're referencing in that other post flat out states a negative number in job creation. But those details don't really matter, do they?

Old 07-25-2016, 07:44 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,988,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
Wonderful assessment, when you know very little about me, and really offered nothing in the past to make those ridiculous points you did. I guess in that regard, based on my experience with locals here, you've found a good fit to call home

After I leave, just as now, I really won't care what you do or what becomes of this town. Live happy, or die miserable, I won't care as it's not my concern. Frankly, I'd rather every entitled gun nut, neo-Nazi and right-wing kook in the country comes here after I've gone, because I'd rather they not live around me. As with a lot of projects that never took off here, I'll believe those results when I see something substantive. I mean, the article you're referencing in that other post flat out states a negative number in job creation. But those details don't really matter, do they?
Gotta love uniformly negative posters with axes to grind.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:53 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,385,235 times
Did anyone else notice #76 on that list up above.

Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers, Ariz

You know Arkansas, Arizona, whatever, they're both states that begin with the letter A!

Old 07-26-2016, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Gotta love uniformly negative posters with axes to grind.
What axe is there to grind? Or do you just need to justify it somehow? It's definitely not money or career, nor is it romantic or social life. You know best though, so enlighten me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area