Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 09:23 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,909,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Understand that the seer rating isn't for us here in the desert - 90% of the "weight" of a seer rating is for temps below 90 degrees. I.e., it's a super accurate measure of performance in northern states & worthless here.

A 1986 home prolly has r19 in the attic & bumping that up a bit might save you almost as much money as getting a higher efficiency unit.. And cost less.. installed cellulose - even a 6" "topper" might be under a grand ..
Notice that Zippyman ( I like that moniker ) suggestedthe best way to save money:

Using less energy by making it unnecessary to run the a/c in the first place.

Better windows, insulation are good. Also, low wattage lights add to this effect. Lights are just little heaters that happen to illuminate stuff. CFLs, LEDs, mean that you use less electricity for seeing and less electricity cooling the house from the effect of using lights. Also, when you cook, you pay twice; Once to run the oven and again to compensate for the effect of running the oven. Use the microwave when possible, eat cold stuff.

Unplug chargers ( paying twice again ). Unplug K-cup coffee makers, etc.

Programmable thermostats work without Time-of-use-Billing.

Two big myths in Phoenix:
-----------------------------
(1) it costs more to let your house heat up when away and then cool it down
(2) two story homes cost more than one-story-homes to heat and cool

If you go to work, turn your thermostat to the mid-80s for the empty house.

If you can get Time-of-use-Billing, "super-cool" your house till the Time-of-use-Billing goes high and then let it go to the 80s. This will save you money even though it will use more energy.

Learn to be cheap when it come to paying your utility bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 11:13 AM

2,808 posts, read 3,191,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post
Notice that Zippyman ( I like that moniker ) suggestedthe best way to save money:

Using less energy by making it unnecessary to run the a/c in the first place.

Better windows, insulation are good. Also, low wattage lights add to this effect. Lights are just little heaters that happen to illuminate stuff. CFLs, LEDs, mean that you use less electricity for seeing and less electricity cooling the house from the effect of using lights. Also, when you cook, you pay twice; Once to run the oven and again to compensate for the effect of running the oven. Use the microwave when possible, eat cold stuff.

Unplug chargers ( paying twice again ). Unplug K-cup coffee makers, etc.

Programmable thermostats work without Time-of-use-Billing.

Two big myths in Phoenix:
-----------------------------
(1) it costs more to let your house heat up when away and then cool it down
(2) two story homes cost more than one-story-homes to heat and cool

If you go to work, turn your thermostat to the mid-80s for the empty house.

If you can get Time-of-use-Billing, "super-cool" your house till the Time-of-use-Billing goes high and then let it go to the 80s. This will save you money even though it will use more energy.

Learn to be cheap when it come to paying your utility bill.
Thanks to both you and zippyman for their expert advise. We went through the insulation etc. improvement a few years back and it was literally worth 2 degree F. After this I lowered the thermos by 2 degrees both on and off peak and the power bill stayed the same. We only have efficient lighting and use appliances off peak except for cooking. At this point I'm afraid only a new a/c would be able to lower our bill, but I'm not rushing it.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:25 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,148,914 times
I'm loving the ecobee3 I installed last weekend. I have four sensors placed around my house. I can monitor and change anything remotely. I highly recommend one. Their customer service is great as well.

Here's the web interface. Very similar on the iphone as well.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:47 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,909,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
At this point I'm afraid only a new a/c would be able to lower our bill, but I'm not rushing it.
Are you away from the house during the day or are you either retired or work from home?

Can you get time-of-use billing?

Also, with old systems, the cooling fins on the evaporator can often be really bent up - reducing efficiency. For moderate damage, they can be manually repaired and if badly bent-up, it might pay to replace the condenser. ( I don't know if you can buy evaporators separately that you can use in a later a/c upgrade -- probably not. )

searching on the string { cooling fin damage air conditioner evaporator } gave me many results with pictures including the following:

How to Clean and Straighten AC Condenser Coils

Last edited by IDtheftV; 06-23-2016 at 04:03 PM..

Old 07-07-2016, 06:23 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,030,981 times
My AC is struggling lately. The temps have been about 108 with 60 degree dew points. I live in an old ranch home in Sun City with central air. The house has adequate insulation, and a 4 ton unit. But 83 is as low as I can cool the house. If I drop it any lower it will run for hours non stop. I'm trying to conserve a little as I'm currently unemployed.

83 degrees is liveable I suppose, with ceiling fans on. But I sure wish I could cool this place down to a chilly 78 degrees on summer days. Is that even possible? Should I upgrade to a larger unit down the road? Maybe I should just run a portable ac in my bedroom, and that could be my "cold room". Then I could store it when the weather cools.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:36 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,728,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
My AC is struggling lately. The temps have been about 108 with 60 degree dew points. I live in an old ranch home in Sun City with central air. The house has adequate insulation, and a 4 ton unit. But 83 is as low as I can cool the house. If I drop it any lower it will run for hours non stop. I'm trying to conserve a little as I'm currently unemployed.

83 degrees is liveable I suppose, with ceiling fans on. But I sure wish I could cool this place down to a chilly 78 degrees on summer days. Is that even possible? Should I upgrade to a larger unit down the road? Maybe I should just run a portable ac in my bedroom, and that could be my "cold room". Then I could store it when the weather cools.
If its an older system, the indoor coil might be clogged with lint, reducing efficiency & performance. The coil at my little bro's place looked like a dryer lint-filter when he bought his house. I just kinda "peeled" the lint off & then sprayed it down with a hose to get most of the dust-bunnies out. He was able to get a couple more years out of it after that.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:51 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,063,619 times
OP, have you had your refrigerant levels checked recently? You may have a small leak, leading to decreased cooling capacity.

FYI. Anytime the outdoor temp goes above 100, the efficiency of an air cooled A/C system drops considerably (it has trouble "cooling" the outdoor condenser coils.) That's where evap coolers are great- they don't lose efficiency at high temps (but they do with high humidities.)

Old 07-07-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
If its an older system, the indoor coil might be clogged with lint, reducing efficiency & performance. The coil at my little bro's place looked like a dryer lint-filter when he bought his house. I just kinda "peeled" the lint off & then sprayed it down with a hose to get most of the dust-bunnies out. He was able to get a couple more years out of it after that.
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll open up the air handler, and clean it and shoot some compressed air on it. Btw, it is a Trane, and we had it inspected 1.5 years ago. They added a little bit of refrigerant, but said it was in good shape.

Edit: it's a Carrier

Last edited by New Horizons; 07-07-2016 at 07:56 PM..

Old 07-08-2016, 04:58 PM

Another thing I've been doing: The thermostat is located in a hallway that has no ac vents. Well on hot days that hallway becomes much warmer than the other rooms. So in the spare room a put box fan near the door to disperse cool air into the hallway. It keeps the hallway cooler and enables the AC to cycle off.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:56 PM

2,808 posts, read 3,191,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
OP, have you had your refrigerant levels checked recently? You may have a small leak, leading to decreased cooling capacity.

FYI. Anytime the outdoor temp goes above 100, the efficiency of an air cooled A/C system drops considerably (it has trouble "cooling" the outdoor condenser coils.) That's where evap coolers are great- they don't lose efficiency at high temps (but they do with high humidities.)
We once had an evap cooler on our roof next to the AC. It was broken so we took it down. Do you think it's worth putting a new one up there at all? I heard they are high maintenance too. Also, will it make it really humid inside? - Thanks.
What I'm thinking right now is that this is more something for hard-core minimalist comfort and maximalist frugality people? - I could be wrong. But the "wisdom of the crowd" says nobody wants these things in Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area