Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 09:21 PM

173 posts, read 655,677 times

Advertisements

Arizona public education is worrisome. I have little ones at home.
I am a professional. I hate my job as my clients are abusive. I may find a a low end job in other fields which pay good. Dallas may offer that opportunity. I don't have time for Phoenix to grow up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 01:39 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
Dallas has the better opportunities,Texas has one of the best economys in the country,Arizona has a good economy too but everything is so much more affordable in Dallas than Phoenix except for property taxes and Dallas pays pretty good too.

I love the flat geography of Dallas,the brick houses with large green grass yards,the ranch and cowboy culture,the downtown,and Dallas has so much more to do.It would definetly be in my top 3 of cities to live in.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:06 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,946,863 times
I'm considering both places right now myself.
Pluses of both(for me personally):
Dallas: Bigger, Closer to my family(i have a cousin that lives in Dallas and my parents/grandparents live in Arkansas and the rest of my family is spread out across the south from Oklahoma to virginia lol), Pretty green scenery, not the best downtown(lacks density and could use more height) but is better than phoenix's downtown, and being from the south, i like southern culture(though i could do without the bible thumpers but I just tell them to go away lol) and i like southern food WAAY more than mexican(though i'm sure they have plenty of it) and most seafood, cheap cost of living!
Phoenix: Mountains(god i LOVE mountains especially after spending time in seattle for the past 2 years which has the most beautiful mountain scenery in the us), dry non humid climate, palm trees!!!, western feel, desert beauty in general, california/west coast style places (in and out burger and other stuff that western cities have), and i love the style of houses in Phoenix.

Biggest negatives:
Dallas: Humidity(GROSS grew up around it and can't stand it), flat(man i hate flat places with no beautiful scenery like mountains etc), spread out not as tall/dense as i would like downtown.
Phoenix: its HOT, kinda high crime, not impressive downtown at all (the biggest downfall for me).

I hope this helps at all, just giving you another persons thoughts that are considering both places! good luck on whereever you move!!!

Old 02-21-2008, 08:25 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettearose View Post
Of course, it's my opinion but then again someone will think that Phoenix offers better job opportunities too since this city is growing faster than Dallas both population-wise and economically speaking. Dallas is more or less built out whiel Phoenix still has unlimited opportunities. That being said, Dallas currently offers better opportunities because they are established while Phoenix has a long way to go.

Where Phoenix has an edge is it's potential. Phoenix has warm weather, proximity to the west coast, and beautiful natural scenery with the mountains typical of cities on the west coast. Phoenix is also becoming more liberal which also attracts people. It's going to continue to grow. Dallas, on the other hand, is a conservative city in the Bible Belt with horrible weather(hot summers and cold winters) and flat geography with no natural beauty. Dallas is also isolated in the middle of the country with no proximity to fun spots while Phoenix is drivable to LA, San Diego, Las Vegas and Mexico. This is why Phoenix will ultimately grow into another Los Angelas while Dallas will remain at it's current status, an economic powerhouse in the middle of nowhere with nothing else to offer aside from great jobs. If you think Phoenix lacks culture, check out Dallas. Dallas is all money and nothing else. Houston at least offers diversity and some culture.
Dallas is more centralized, closer to a port, and is growing faster than Phoenix in sheer numbers. Plus it is closer to more major cities (ie Houston, Austin, Ft. Worth, etc). Texas is a far better place for jobs and you know it. The topic here is economy, not weather. And besides, Dallas' winters are not overly cold at all, many times they are warmer than Phoenix in winter. And please, quit makin Phoenix's weather out to be like some glorious paradise. You might have decently nice weather right now, but just wait 2.5 more months.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:32 PM

435 posts, read 1,575,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceJohn View Post
I don't have time for Phoenix to grow up.
Great line! I didn't have the time or patience for that, either. So I left. Phoenix really is like a morbidly obese child in many ways- obnoxious, spoiled, undisciplined and directionless. It gets pretty tiresome. You just hope something or someone with the ability to change those traits intervenes before it's too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: