Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 06:44 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post
I don't know about Phoenix - but the Ruth Chris' I've been to here (SoCal) are way over-rated... Morton's is okay... I hope the restaurants being discussed in the thread are better than those - disappointing if not.
What makes Ruth's Chris unique is the butter on top of the steak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 06:54 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
I don't know about Phoenix - but the Ruth Chris' I've been to here (SoCal) are way over-rated... Morton's is okay... I hope the restaurants being discussed in the thread are better than those - disappointing if not.
The Ruth's in Anaheim and Irvine (the two I've been to in SoCal) were the same as ours (Scottsdale and the old Phoenix location which is now closed), they have good quality control

Old 07-14-2016, 07:05 PM

394 posts, read 343,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
What makes Ruth's Chris unique is the butter on top of the steak.
WUT

I'm sure you were being facetious

Old 07-14-2016, 07:08 PM

394 posts, read 343,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The Ruth's in Anaheim and Irvine (the two I've been to in SoCal) were the same as ours (Scottsdale and the old Phoenix location which is now closed), they have good quality control
I look forward to the ones OP asked about... I'll pass on Ruth's Chris... Glad you like 'em though.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:17 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,468,803 times
Of the three you luste listed, I'd say Steak 44.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:30 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,279,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwamjn View Post
Of the three you luste listed, I'd say Steak 44.
Steak 44 is solid, I agree. it's been so long since I've been to Mastros I can't make a fair comparison though.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:33 AM

357 posts, read 712,027 times
Steak 44 gets very, very mixed reviews from people I know. Some people love it, swear it's the best in town, others have been very underwhelmed by the price tag. I, not wanting to be disappointed by a $250 meal, have never gone and choose to go to places that have more consistent reviews.

City Hall/Mastro's is your best bet or Dominicks (they're virtually the same unless you prefer lobster mashed potatoes vs. lobster mac and cheese, lol). Very consistently excellent. For me, it's just about which location I prefer - Old town or north scottsdale. I choose City Hall because it's closer to me typically.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:50 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,540 times
Quote:
WUT

I'm sure you were being facetious
If your steak needs butter - you're doing it wrong

The problem with Ruth Chris is that it is a chain. They don't have chefs, they have cooks, so it can be inconsistent. I am a steak snob. I prefer places owned by chefs because consistancy is always there.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:11 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz451 View Post
Steak 44 gets very, very mixed reviews from people I know. Some people love it, swear it's the best in town, others have been very underwhelmed by the price tag. I, not wanting to be disappointed by a $250 meal, have never gone and choose to go to places that have more consistent reviews.

City Hall/Mastro's is your best bet or Dominicks (they're virtually the same unless you prefer lobster mashed potatoes vs. lobster mac and cheese, lol). Very consistently excellent. For me, it's just about which location I prefer - Old town or north scottsdale. I choose City Hall because it's closer to me typically.
Steak 44 is virtually the same too though. The menus at all three are just about identical (Steak 44 and Dominick's are the same). I think it just boils down to atmosphere.

Mastro's strikes me as trying to be ultra modern, yet perhaps a bit dated(?) with a mixed crowd.
Steak 44, younger, trendier and more fashionable
Dominick's, perhaps a bit older crowd in a beautiful setting.

They seem to be a similar product, just geared toward slightly different demographics. I'm still torn but maybe I just can't lose at any.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:40 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
If your steak needs butter - you're doing it wrong

The problem with Ruth Chris is that it is a chain. They don't have chefs, they have cooks, so it can be inconsistent. I am a steak snob. I prefer places owned by chefs because consistancy is always there.
It's still the best Filet Mignon I've ever had
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area