U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2008, 02:44 PM

6 posts, read 30,313 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We will be moving to Phoenix soon and are quite excited about it. We have never lived in a desert are before, so would like to know what are the must have amenities in an apartment. Also is it safe to take apartments on first floor? My daughter is about 3 years old, I would love to have a first floor apartment with some kind of play area behind.

Last but not the least my office will be located at 18850 N 56th St. Phoenix. What are the good apartments that we can look at in the near vicinity?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 02:59 PM

3,632 posts, read 15,567,875 times
That's a very good area. The zip is Scottsdale, but is Phx services. You can look around 56th st and Bell, which is just down the street from your work. It's a very safe, affluent area.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:04 PM

1,271 posts, read 5,009,212 times
I live just a few miles east of Bell & 56th. I recently moved out here (September), so looked fairly recently. There are tons of really nice places out here.

Look in Zips 85054 and 85254. These 2 zips would be the areas closest to 56th & Bell to the east (I am not at all familiar much west). Parts of 85258 and 85260 would also be doable commutes by surface street.

Where you refer to "play area" do you mean a "yard" or like a community "tot lot"? Not many of the apartments around here have "yards" for the individual units-actually none that I looked at. Tho some of them have some awesome patios on first floor if that would be ok.

Get if you can: Private Garage.
Must Have: In Unit laundry. Ceiling fans. Decent size patio or balcony. Nice pool. ;-)

Old 02-19-2008, 07:41 AM

6 posts, read 30,313 times
Thanks for your responses. We did check out some of the apartments around Bell & 56th, but a lot of them have very bad reviews, which surprsied us a lot. Also the travel time seems to be very high in the are, is it due to high traffic volumes?

How importants is it to have gated community/controlled access? Is it a good idea to look at private homes for rent?

Old 02-19-2008, 07:54 AM

3,632 posts, read 15,567,875 times
I think you will find many apartments with bad reviews, no matter what part of the valley you live in.

I don't understand what you mean by traffic times being high. DO you mean to your job, or elsewhere? Because that area would be a mile or two from your work, so the time shouldn't be that bad. Are you sure you have the correct address?

IF you are in Scottsdale, NE Phx, there isn't a huge need for a gated community. It's pretty safe up there. The one thing to keep an eye on is your car being stolen. I lived down the street from there and always had my car broken into and once stolen. I've lived in many other areas and never once had my car messed with. And I always lived in gated communities (even in Scottsdale). It's not that it's a bad area, it's just that Scottsdale tends to have property crime due to having more money.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:05 PM

1,271 posts, read 5,009,212 times
Remember that a lot of online reviews are written by folks who have an axe to grind (ie "I was ONLY 4 months late paying my rent and those awful people evicted me.") My best advice is check out the places for yourself.

Sablebaby is right-your commute would be VERY very short from 56th & Bell to the address you provided. In fact anywhere even the furthest reaches in 85254 or 85054 you wont be looking at over 10-15 minutes top or so on surface streets.

Travel on surface streets around here is very good. Now the freeways are a different matter....

What apartments were you looking at? What is your price range? How many bedrooms?

I am leery of renting a private home-just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area