Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 07:14 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,188,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I'm going to try leaving a note, good idea, I know for sure a few of these houses have renter as tenants, I'm guessing they don't care to repair the sprinkler system but I'm pretty sure they're pouring more water directly into the road than is even making it on the dead lawn.
Well, don't say irrigation does not impact your water bill. I repaired mine recently and the bill first increased and then dropped by >30$ (or ~45%) from just two faulty risers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 07:33 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,982,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
Well, don't say irrigation does not impact your water bill. I repaired mine recently and the bill first increased and then dropped by >30$ (or ~45%) from just two faulty risers.
One of my renters purchased the body of a sprinkler head without the pop up head (Toro 570) water bill was +$45. Idiot.

One thing about Tempe, water is dirt cheap.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:44 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,752,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
One of my renters purchased the body of a sprinkler head without the pop up head (Toro 570) water bill was +$45. Idiot.

One thing about Tempe, water is dirt cheap.
Why is it so cheap in Tempe?

Old 07-27-2016, 10:41 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,511,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Phoenix ranks 6th in tech talent growth rate

Here's the full report:

Highly Skilled Workers are Flocking to Affordable Markets with a Growing Tech Presence, According to CBRE's Annual "Scoring Tech Talent" Report

And for those who think affordability doesn't have much to do with attracting highly educated/skilled talent and millennials because of Phoenix's politics, we aren't liberal enough, etc., that's obviously not an issue here given this impressive report/data:

Good jobs, good quality of life, and affordable living rule the day in the end. The rest is low on the list for the vast majority of people as such matters don't pay the rent.

In any case, lots of very positive aspects to all of this in the report for Phoenix/the valley.
Well-written and good news for Phoenix.

It never seemed logical why young college graduates would want to live in outrageously expensive cities, it's more sensible to live somewhere with a more reasonable cost of living when you're just starting out.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:53 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,511,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
We'll eventually have to stop treating water like it's an infinite resource and be more respectful with our use of it. I get so tired of driving through rivers in the neighborhood every night as people dump water on their grass, which gets used never all summer long. I understand a patch in back but honestly I think xeriscape with some nice colorful plants looks 100x better than lawn.
Well-written about water running on the sidewalks and in the streets, I agree that's a huge waste.

The sentence about xeriscape looking better than a grass lawn is strictly your opinion.

Grass and shadetrees provide a nice oasis and make it more comfortable to be outdoors in the summertime.

The Phoenix area is not running short on water, so as long as sprinkler systems are maintained properly and not creating rivers in the streets I don't see any need to impose restrictions on water use.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:18 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,487,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post

It never seemed logical why young college graduates would want to live in outrageously expensive cities, it's more sensible to live somewhere with a more reasonable cost of living when you're just starting out.
I agree. When I graduated from college, more than a few of my peers with computer science degrees left for expensive cities. They had no problem finding good jobs with good pay but most came back or moved to a more reasonably priced city because they starved essentially and/or the quality of life was poor given the high cost of living even with a good salary. The aura of living in an expensive/"name" city lost its appeal fast when reality set in. And cities like San Francisco/silicon valley area, it's getting downright hostile to the middle class in regards to cost and it's getting downright ugly for some:

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/...t-middle-class

"Many displaced tenants spend half a year or more searching for new apartments, she said. Of the approximately 4,900 households with incomes between $50,000 and $160,000 that the agency serves, about 370 are living in their vehicles, mostly in Mountain View and Palo Alto."

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/3...y-for-the-rich

Live and learn in the end for some I suppose. I'll never forgot my friend who sent a picture of his house living in silicon valley after he secured a good job with NASA. The price he paid for a house that looked like a ghetto house in Phoenix would have bought a very nice house in Paradise Valley still sticks in my head.

So as stated in the OP, it's easy to see why Phoenix is becoming very desirable to educated millennials with tech talent/degrees.

Last edited by stevek64; 07-30-2016 at 12:34 AM..

Old 07-30-2016, 12:30 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,329,140 times
Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of young talented people that want to remain here but there are no jobs for them. ASU produces a plethora of software engineers but there are no jobs here for them and they leave for the Bay area. Or the jobs that exist grossly underpay. i know some of these young people and I tell them to stay here and start companies. They all want to stay but there are no jobs. What do you do then.

Your list doesn't talk about people who start companies or own companies. Those are the people you want to attract and they don't want to come here because they don't want to raise their children in an area with bad schools and intolerance. Think about that. They have their pick as to where they can live. States are offering them money. Why would they choose here? There was a time when they would come here but we were much more moderate then and didn't have the wacky reputation we have now.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:41 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,329,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post

Why? They don't have spouses and children to support so their expenses are low. They can afford to live well on their paycheck if they are only supporting themselves so why wouldn't they live in a large city with several amenities and a progressive culture?

But I agree with Steve and the article as well. People are seeking cheaper options. However, they want the best of both worlds. They desire cheaper rates but desire the same amenities and culture. So they can get that by going to Denver or Austin. They see Phoenix as being too conservative and "hick"

If I'm a rich guy with a company in California. I'm going to want a similar environmental socially and culturally. If I can get that for less money, why would I settle on Phoenix and accept a completely different environment. It makes no sense.

It's rare that you are going to find someone say "Yeah, i don't give a s4##$ where I move as long as it's cheaper" People are much too sophisticated to think that way. Maybe that was a Baby Boomers (my generation) way of thinking but Gen X and Millennials are different.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:50 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,487,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of young talented people that want to remain here but there are no jobs for them. ASU produces a plethora of software engineers but there are no jobs here for them and they leave for the Bay area. Or the jobs that exist grossly underpay. i know some of these young people and I tell them to stay here and start companies. They all want to stay but there are no jobs. What do you do then.

Your list doesn't talk about people who start companies or own companies. Those are the people you want to attract and they don't want to come here because they don't want to raise their children in an area with bad schools with a reputation for being intolerant particularly to minorities especially when nearly 1/3 of them are Asian.
I'm sure you know people who are having trouble finding jobs but unless you have data/access to the bigger trend they do, it's all just our very small circle of experience. CRBE is well regarded in doing this type of research. Compared to the entire US/Canada, the Phoenix metro is near the top/many educated millennials with tech talent find it appealing to locate here so there's more than a few people finding decent jobs in the field. The report goes into lots of detail and it's very positive for the Phoenix metro.

Those with decent software jobs/in tech in Phoenix will more than likely live in areas/suburbs with very good schools. They exist in the valley. If they choose, private schools are another option and many people are choosing this option because frankly many feel public schools throughout the nation are poor at best....it's simply a game of comparing the best of the worst to many parents.

The data doesn't back up your statement regarding Asians in the valley:

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b...of-asians.html

"Except for in-state migration, more Asians moved to the Phoenix metro than from any other region, country or U.S. county, with the exception of Pinal County."

That's quite an astounding statistic.

And it has been going on for many years now, this article back from 2011, close to when SB1070 was passed:

Arizona's Asian population now fastest-growing in state

The fear/"intolerance" you mention doesn't exist to Asians moving to the Phoenix metro by looking at the data. It's clear it's just simply fear tactics/hot air used by some politicians to march their own agenda forward.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:45 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,663,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Why? They don't have spouses and children to support so their expenses are low. They can afford to live well on their paycheck if they are only supporting themselves so why wouldn't they live in a large city with several amenities and a progressive culture?

But I agree with Steve and the article as well. People are seeking cheaper options. However, they want the best of both worlds. They desire cheaper rates but desire the same amenities and culture. So they can get that by going to Denver or Austin. They see Phoenix as being too conservative and "hick"

If I'm a rich guy with a company in California. I'm going to want a similar environmental socially and culturally. If I can get that for less money, why would I settle on Phoenix and accept a completely different environment. It makes no sense.

It's rare that you are going to find someone say "Yeah, i don't give a s4##$ where I move as long as it's cheaper" People are much too sophisticated to think that way. Maybe that was a Baby Boomers (my generation) way of thinking but Gen X and Millennials are different.
The last paragraph hits the nail on the head. And it's a reason I still consider CA to be "worth it". Nowhere else in the country replicates CA's climate or geography. Not everything is about saving money or keeping up with the Joneses. Some things just can't be replicated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area