Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 01:09 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,483,052 times

Advertisements

Phoenix ranks 6th in tech talent growth rate

Quote:
CBRE’s research determine that Phoenix is one of the fastest-growing markets in the United States and Canada, big or small. Using 13 metrics, the company determined that Arizona’s capital has the sixth-fastest growing tech market with a growth rate of 58.1 percent. That was third-best among large cities, falling behind the Bay Area, Washington D.C. and Seattle.
Here's the full report:

Highly Skilled Workers are Flocking to Affordable Markets with a Growing Tech Presence, According to CBRE's Annual "Scoring Tech Talent" Report

And for those who think affordability doesn't have much to do with attracting highly educated/skilled talent and millennials because of Phoenix's politics, we aren't liberal enough, etc., that's obviously not an issue here given this impressive report/data:

Quote:
Los Angeles, JUNE 30, 2016 – San Francisco remains the nation’s leading tech market, but the competition for talent is getting tougher as more highly skilled tech workers—especially millennials—are flocking to cities where the cost of living is lower and tech jobs are plentiful, according to CBRE Group, Inc.’s annual Research report, “Scoring Tech Talent,” which ranks 50 U.S. and Canadian markets according to their ability to attract and grow tech talent.
Good jobs, good quality of life, and affordable living rule the day in the end. The rest is low on the list for the vast majority of people as such matters don't pay the rent.

In any case, lots of very positive aspects to all of this in the report for Phoenix/the valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 01:31 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,979,471 times
Great news! But the more people here, the more strain on our water resources. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:57 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,747,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Great news! But the more people here, the more strain on our water resources. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.
We'll eventually have to stop treating water like it's an infinite resource and be more respectful with our use of it. I get so tired of driving through rivers in the neighborhood every night as people dump water on their grass, which gets used never all summer long. I understand a patch in back but honestly I think xeriscape with some nice colorful plants looks 100x better than lawn.

Old 07-25-2016, 02:14 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,241,227 times
This can't be true, everyone knows our conservative politics has kept companies from doing business in Phoenix.

This is indeed good news for the valley/state.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:17 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,483,052 times
In regards to population growth here in the metro by bringing in new jobs as this article says is happening, I think as long as we grow slow/moderate and steady overall in this regard we'll be in good shape.

As far as the water implications of more people moving here:

Arizona water outlook not as dire as neighboring California - ABC15 Arizona

Quote:
In fact, despite growing from 1.1 million residents in 1957 to more than 6.5 million today, the state uses essentially the same amount of water.
Because:

Quote:
Arizona uses about 7 million acre feet of water a year, 70 percent of that for agricultural use, 22 percent for municipal use and the rest for industrial consumption. The state has nearly 9 million acre feet of water stored underground.
Former farm land becomes subdivisions/where people live and net-net, water saved. Of course if new development is done on open desert, all bets are off in this regard.

Farmer's will take the brunt of this because that's where the big savings will be.

Quote:
The Arizona cuts would be roughly enough to supply 600,000 homes, but the cuts would only affect farmers.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:20 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,976,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
In regards to population growth here in the metro by bringing in new jobs as this article says is happening, I think as long as we grow slow/moderate and steady overall in this regard we'll be in good shape.

As far as the water implications of more people moving here:

Arizona water outlook not as dire as neighboring California - ABC15 Arizona

Because:

Former farm land becomes subdivisions/where people live and net-net, water saved. Of course if new development is done on open desert, all bets are off in this regard.

Farmer's will take the brunt of this because that's where the big savings will be.
Phoenix proper only uses 2/3 of its allotment.

I'd be more concerned for Pinal and Pima counties. If dominoes fall they will start there.

The only time we'll see real conservation is if prices go up to what they actually cost without subsidies.

That said pools and grass are very small figures in the grand scheme, maybe eventually, but drip irritating farms would be a good step. But then we get into abandonment laws and we have problems.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:40 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,979,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
We'll eventually have to stop treating water like it's an infinite resource and be more respectful with our use of it. I get so tired of driving through rivers in the neighborhood every night as people dump water on their grass, which gets used never all summer long. I understand a patch in back but honestly I think xeriscape with some nice colorful plants looks 100x better than lawn.
Agreed. Every night, it never fails. Rivers of water running down the sides of the street. The other night I saw a local business with two busted sprinklers. One was shooting a stream a 1/2" thick of water straight out into the street. I left them a note in their drop slot on the door to fix it. Its ridiculous! Oh, and I went to the Total Wine on Scottsdale Road and Shea the other night at 9:30PM, and the bagel place next door (which had long since closed for the night) had their dang misters on full blast. Waste!!!

Old 07-26-2016, 05:33 PM

594 posts, read 700,226 times
Default Bids on the first negative post...

Keep the positive stuff coming...it's been so much positivity about the Valley the haters I think have finally ran out of material....oh wait, there's still the weather !

Old 07-26-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Agreed. Every night, it never fails. Rivers of water running down the sides of the street. The other night I saw a local business with two busted sprinklers. One was shooting a stream a 1/2" thick of water straight out into the street. I left them a note in their drop slot on the door to fix it. Its ridiculous! Oh, and I went to the Total Wine on Scottsdale Road and Shea the other night at 9:30PM, and the bagel place next door (which had long since closed for the night) had their dang misters on full blast. Waste!!!
I'm going to try leaving a note, good idea, I know for sure a few of these houses have renter as tenants, I'm guessing they don't care to repair the sprinkler system but I'm pretty sure they're pouring more water directly into the road than is even making it on the dead lawn.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
Keep the positive stuff coming...it's been so much positivity about the Valley the haters I think have finally ran out of material....oh wait, there's still the weather !
Right on! The thing I realized about haters is that they are everywhere. No matter what a place offers someone will come along and complain about it. It kind of makes you wonder if people don't have some kind of infatuation with complaining for no reason other than to complain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area