Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 01:02 PM

137 posts, read 342,330 times

Advertisements

observer53, thanks, and thanks for reminding me not to worry too much about the schools. And you're right that it might only be for a year or two, so I shouldn't stress too much.

But every time I see one of these threads, especially when teachers are saying it, like on this thread, I get worried again, and I want to at least make sure we're picking one of the best school districts.

It's true, it's hard to pick one district/school in a city as big as Phoenix, so maybe I should change it to everyone's top 3 or 4, or whatever people want to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 01:15 PM

385 posts, read 1,264,724 times
Just based on odds (I'm horseplayer); nothing personal about your little angels.
As a bonus, the school is F-R-E-E. Otherwise there is Scottsdale Christian Academy $$$$.

Alhambra Traditional School - The Best Alternative
An "Excelling" school, five years in a row. Principal gives phone number for you to arrange tour.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:27 PM

For more mainstream education, let me recommend the Madison Elementary School District. It encompasses the nicer area of Central (North) Phoenix. I did notice a 50% free/reduced lunch at Madison #1, on 16th St. Still an above average school, with a meticulous administration located right next door. About 10 times better than Tucson Unified. Let us know. Good luck.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:57 PM

137 posts, read 342,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseplayer View Post
Just based on odds (I'm horseplayer); nothing personal about your little angels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseplayer View Post
As a bonus, the school is F-R-E-E. Otherwise there is Scottsdale Christian Academy $$$$.

Alhambra Traditional School - The Best Alternative
An "Excelling" school, five years in a row. Principal gives phone number for you to arrange tour.

No offense taken. I have pretty thick skin, I was just trying to point out that you might increase your odds of making friends, in general, if you said something like "It's very hard to get in" as opposed to "your kids probably won't get in". Unless, of course, you're trying to bait someone into an argument - then all bets are off

I'll check out the school. One of my little angels is pretty sharp.

I've heard good things about Madison too, but I still don't have a handle on exactly what area it serves - looks like west of Biltmore and maybe Biltmore too. Do you even have to live in a certain area to go there? Their web site talks about choosing Madison. Is that targeted at people who live in the district, but might be considering charter or private schools, or can people from other parts of the city choose Madison?

Thanks for the info.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:37 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,766,527 times
You can choose a different school in your own district or outside your district and they will take your child (and the associated funding from the state) if they have capacity. You have to supply the transportation though.

Madison Elementary is bounded (with some slight variations) by 7th Ave., Northern, 32nd St., and Indian School. http://madison.az.schoolwebpages.com/education/sctemp/437550a5667bc467b43ac0b06c79590b/1243031484/boundary_map_all.pdf (broken link)

One issue with the district is that it is K-8. After that, you've got Phoenix Union High School District, which is not highly thought of. There was an election last year to consolidate PUHSD with Madison and several other elementary districts that feed into it. The poorer districts voted in favor of it. The Madison folks were heavily against it. It did not pass.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:15 PM

I'll bet that ruffled some feathers up Central Avenue. Madison Meadows is private school quality, and Rose Lane Elementary, Simis, and Madison Heights ($$$$ neighborhood) are probably, also. The campus at Heights is beautiful. Madison Park is your typical dark chapter middle school--the demographics are tough on them. Some of the regular Alhambra Schools are better. I worked as a Sub at Madison in 1996, 97, 98, and 99. I never had any serious trouble, and could see that they are family-like over there. I did cross Madison Park off my list, permanently in 1996.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:41 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,102,571 times
I read this along the way while reading your thread and find this to be true. It's not in the culture out here like it is back east or else where in high rated states. Despite our ratings in education we still get a lot of people with children moving here. So why change anything? People move here for weather and cheap housing and not for education. It works, so this state isn't worried about it.

Moving here for the cheap housing and weather is fine, but it irritates me to no end when parents will do this and then try and search out the one good school here or complain about how bad our education is. Listen, it's public knowledge that we are known as the "stupid" state. Our rankings are bottom of the barrel. You didn't choose to move here for your kids education or you wouldn't, no one would.

They would work on our education if people only moved to states to give their kids a good education. But that isn't the reason people move to Phoenix. Stick to the reasons you DID pick to move here and try and enjoy them.

You can't have it all, know what I mean? If you are really concerned about this move to a state that at least made the top 20 in education.
I'm sure they will enjoy the swimming here and what not, just play that up. lol Stop looking for a needle in a haystack. Relax and enjoy the sun, and low rent or mortgage. Your kids will get more stuff, and you'll have more stuff and everyone will be happy.
We can't fix our "low ranking education" record when people move here in droves despite it. Why would we?
Sorry if this sounds cranky, but if you really read it and think it through you will agree with me. Its simple economics. We are still a big sell without education, we aren't going to add it and pay more for it out of the goodness of our hearts. Won't happen, despite the well meaning teachers that move here. Sunshine sells and it's free!

Old 05-23-2009, 10:26 AM

6,741 posts, read 5,991,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Sunshine sells and it's free!
I've read that sunshine makes people smarter, so it all evens out!

Old 05-23-2009, 11:35 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,722,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I read this along the way while reading your thread and find this to be true. It's not in the culture out here like it is back east or else where in high rated states. Despite our ratings in education we still get a lot of people with children moving here. So why change anything? People move here for weather and cheap housing and not for education. It works, so this state isn't worried about it.

Moving here for the cheap housing and weather is fine, but it irritates me to no end when parents will do this and then try and search out the one good school here or complain about how bad our education is. Listen, it's public knowledge that we are known as the "stupid" state. Our rankings are bottom of the barrel. You didn't choose to move here for your kids education or you wouldn't, no one would.

They would work on our education if people only moved to states to give their kids a good education. But that isn't the reason people move to Phoenix. Stick to the reasons you DID pick to move here and try and enjoy them.

You can't have it all, know what I mean? If you are really concerned about this move to a state that at least made the top 20 in education.
I'm sure they will enjoy the swimming here and what not, just play that up. lol Stop looking for a needle in a haystack. Relax and enjoy the sun, and low rent or mortgage. Your kids will get more stuff, and you'll have more stuff and everyone will be happy.
We can't fix our "low ranking education" record when people move here in droves despite it. Why would we?
Sorry if this sounds cranky, but if you really read it and think it through you will agree with me. Its simple economics. We are still a big sell without education, we aren't going to add it and pay more for it out of the goodness of our hearts. Won't happen, despite the well meaning teachers that move here. Sunshine sells and it's free!
If southern Arizona isn't concerned about families and it's own future, why not close and demolish all public schools,ASU, communities colleges, ect? They don't need the federal funds for having people in school. Why stop there? Ban all schools from being established in southern Arizona and continue to let illegal immigrants do the work in south Arizona (phoenix,tucson, ect.) Sounds like a plan.

While on the other hand, northern Arizona is receiving millions of dollars in scholarships and grants for successful children in various areas. Sorry, but your rule only applies to the desert cities of Arizona. For anyone looking for a quality elementary or high school education in Arizona I would highly recommend staying out of the desert.

Last edited by shiphead; 05-23-2009 at 11:45 AM..

Old 05-23-2009, 01:00 PM

88 posts, read 309,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imateacherAZ View Post
In AZ, you get what you pay for We spend more $ on prisoners than students. Teachers do not make a livable salary and are asked to take a pay cut or a pink slip while administrators keep getting pay raises. In AZ, you get what you pay for.
In Arizona we do have good teachers, and some great schools, and all are underpaid in my opinion, but our system is needs a total rehab inh the screening process, especially concerning with all the teachers lately that have been molesting our kids. The women are getting as bad as the men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area