Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 06:47 AM

8,270 posts, read 8,648,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
It can be classified as age and familial status discrimination.

How do retirement communities get by with age restrictions when it's illegal anywhere else?
Because 55+communities are allowed by law. It isn't some type of loophole. There are specific laws for these communities. These communities have been around for over 50 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 07:06 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:

How do retirement communities get by with age restrictions when it's illegal anywhere else?
Here's my guess:

Age is a temporary situation. Unless we die early, we all get there. Racial discrimination is different; no matter how long you live, if you're Black or Latino or American Indian, you don't, at some point, turn White; the discrimination potential lasts a lifetime.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:21 AM

576 posts, read 830,845 times
Java Jolt, are you really serious about this, or are you just trying to stir the pot? I really can't imagine a weaker position to argue from! Since there have already been several cogent arguments against your position which you seem to have dismissed, I suspect the latter.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:43 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,133,674 times
Quote:

The Fair Housing Act (Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968)
Senior Housing
Quote:
The Fair Housing Act (FHAct) protects all residents from discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, handicap or familial status (families with children under the age of 18 living with parents or legal guardians; pregnant women and people trying to get custody of children under 18).

The "Housing for Older Persons" Exemption: The Fair Housing Act specifically exempts some senior housing facilities and communities from liability for familial status discrimination. Exempt senior housing facilities or communities can lawfully refuse to sell or rent dwellings to families with minor children. In order to qualify for the "housing for older persons" exemption, a facility or community must prove that its housing is:

Provided under any State or Federal program that HUD has determined to be specifically designed and operated to assist elderly persons (as defined in the State or Federal program); or
Intended for, and solely occupied by persons 62 years of age or older; or
Intended and operated for occupancy by persons 55 years of age or older.

In order to qualify for the "55 or older" housing exemption, a facility or community must satisfy each of the following requirements:

At least 80 percent of the units must have at least one occupant who is 55 years of age or older; and
The facility or community must publish and adhere to policies and procedures that demonstrate the intent to operate as "55 or older" housing; and
The facility or community must comply with HUD's regulatory requirements for age verification of residents.

The "housing for older persons" exemption does not protect senior housing facilities or communities from liability for housing discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, disability, or national origin. . .

Old 08-24-2016, 02:15 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,259,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingFan View Post
In this case, one persons discrimination is another persons freedom of association.
Absolutely right! Look at all the disrespect toward seniors, and how many younger people treat their own parents & grandparents. Once they start losing their memories, become a little grouchy, and develop health issues, they throw them in nursing homes because they don't want the responsibility of looking after them. If you want to get technical, all that could be classified as discrimination, but I don't hear the bleeding hearts getting upset about those things!

I wouldn't expect young families or children to have any kind of desire to live in the Sun Cities anyway. Why would they want to? They'd likely be bored to no end. Freedom of association might be considered a form of segregation, but it's a fact of life. I can't count the number of times I've heard younger people (both kids & adults) say things like, "ewwww, I don't want to be around those old geezers!" At the same time, many seniors rightfully don't want to be around young families and their obnoxious brats. Senior citizens/retirees have the Sun Cities to associate with their own age group, just like families with kids have any practically any suburban area to associate with their own kind. I see nothing wrong with it.

Quote:

Because they can and they will continue to do so. If you don't like it, you don't have to go anywhere near Sun City, Sun City West, Sun Lakes, or any of those other age restricted communities.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:48 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,378 times
I promise I'm not trying to stir the pot or cause controversy.

It's a legitimate question why age-restricted retirement communities aren't considered discriminatory when the housing laws are very specific about prohibiting similar restrictions in non-retirement areas?

My biggest issue is with older people who purposely live in Sun City and similar communities to avoid paying education taxes.

Most of them were educated in the public system through other people's taxes but now they refuse to fulfill their civic duty and contribute, this bothers me.

Maybe I'll understand the reasons better someday when I retire.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:56 PM

44,623 posts, read 61,597,128 times
You do realize most of those retired people paid school/ppty taxes most if not all of their working lives, some as much as 50 years, not like those living on the dole today with taxpayer government assistance.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:39 AM

110 posts, read 153,879 times
Quote:
I promise I'm not trying to stir the pot or cause controversy.

It's a legitimate question why age-restricted retirement communities aren't considered discriminatory when the housing laws are very specific about prohibiting similar restrictions in non-retirement areas?

My biggest issue is with older people who purposely live in Sun City and similar communities to avoid paying education taxes.

Most of them were educated in the public system through other people's taxes but now they refuse to fulfill their civic duty and contribute, this bothers me.

Maybe I'll understand the reasons better someday when I retire.
I believe most people move to Sun City for the community not to avoid taxes.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:38 AM

604 posts, read 934,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingFan View Post
I believe most people move to Sun City for the community not to avoid taxes.

I don’t disagree with VF here but the tax issue is a major consideration. Taxes DO alter behavior. It may not be THE issue but it is certainly AN issue.

Tax considerations are behind most companies involved in what is now known as ‘inversions’. We see substantial evidence that companies are motivated by tax avoidance and it is certainly found in individuals as well. I have long said a major attraction of Sun City is it’s very low property tax base (and HOA fees).

There are a considerable number of ‘white papers’ on this topic of people voting with their feet (moving from higher to lower tax communities and states). See also:
AmosWEB is Economics: Encyclonomic WEB*pedia

Old 08-26-2016, 07:44 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,956,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post
I don’t disagree with VF here but the tax issue is a major consideration. Taxes DO alter behavior. It may not be THE issue but it is certainly AN issue.

Tax considerations are behind most companies involved in what is now known as ‘inversions’. We see substantial evidence that companies are motivated by tax avoidance and it is certainly found in individuals as well. I have long said a major attraction of Sun City is it’s very low property tax base (and HOA fees).

There are a considerable number of ‘white papers’ on this topic of people voting with their feet (moving from higher to lower tax communities and states). See also:
AmosWEB is Economics: Encyclonomic WEB*pedia
In enters Arizonas proud race to the bottom.

People support schools until they move here, because what do they care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area