Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 12:29 AM

44,623 posts, read 61,597,128 times

Advertisements

Pretty simple really. If there are no Schools in Sun City and there is no School District in Sun City and Sun Citians don't have kids to send to school why pay school taxes for nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 11:39 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
I'm waving the white flag.

If the older population is more comfortable assimilating with people in their demographics I can certainly understand.

I still don't agree with the school tax avoidance but maybe I'll relate to that part of it when I'm of retirement age and more frugal.
As a retiree who will be moving to Sun City West shortly, I have mixed feelings about the school tax issue.

On the one hand, I believe good schools benefit the entire community/country.
On the other hand, if someone has paid school taxes for most of their life, then perhaps when they are no longer working, it's okay to let them off the hook.
On yet another hand (can I have 3 hands?), senior services paid for through taxes...well, how does that fit into the scenario?

Old 08-31-2016, 01:35 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,648,895 times
We still pay some for education. County, school bonds, and community colleges. We just don't pay to a local district since we do not live in one.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,003,525 times
Interesting factoid, just looked at a house for sale in Sun City West and the realtor informed me that while that particular house didn't pay school taxes there are swaths of land in SCW that do. I was told it all came down to when SCW expanded and the county refused to grant the exemption that the original SCW had.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:47 AM

576 posts, read 830,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Interesting factoid, just looked at a house for sale in Sun City West and the realtor informed me that while that particular house didn't pay school taxes there are swaths of land in SCW that do. I was told it all came down to when SCW expanded and the county refused to grant the exemption that the original SCW had.
Read further back in this thread.... This has already been discussed.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:59 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,157,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Pretty simple really. If there are no Schools in Sun City and there is no School District in Sun City and Sun Citians don't have kids to send to school why pay school taxes for nothing.
I think the rules should be equally unfair (if you want to define unfair as paying for something you don't use). I haven't stepped into a library in decades (and never will) and I have about 20,000 more examples. Furthermore my kids are out of school and I too paid a lot in school taxes. In fact, I use to pay school taxes in three locations. Now I pay in 2 locations. In theory and while we are at it, why should I pay more taxes to schools if I have a nicer place?

Personally, I don't have a problem paying for AZ school taxes (never used AZ schools ever and my kids are all college age). I don't have a problem paying for libraries either. But I don't appreciate people (in this case seniors) dodging school taxes. After all, people without kids pay. Multiple dwelling people pay multiple times. Retirees in nearly every other neighborhood AZ 99.99% pay for schools. I understand that it is the law. So if that SC resident that pays less taxes told the truth and said: "I love dodging taxes anyway any how".. I'd respect them more. At least they would be an honest cheapskate.

So let's cut a deal. How about we examine how much money seniors contributed to social security and come up with a formula to see when we cut them off for healthcare and benefits. MANY never paid their "fair share". Additionally, my parents are dead so I don't have any more parents to subsidize. I say let's all cut off the free loaders who barely paid into SSN (and are pulling out WAY more $$"s than they ever contributed). People need to be careful when "fair" is applied equally.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:36 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,917,814 times
save this post somewhere, and read it when you are 65, and see how you feel about it THEN...

Old 09-06-2016, 06:19 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,157,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
save this post somewhere, and read it when you are 65, and see how you feel about it THEN...
I'm 52 and I will be thinking the same thing when I am 65. My exclusive point was people need to be consistent. If you want people to subsidize you when you paid in WAY WAY WAY short, then don't play the "I don't use it card" when it is convenient. I guess what I am saying is a lot of people are hypocrites or are exceptional at rationalizing why they are cheapskates.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:25 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,956,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
Us young folks are paying right into the Social Security system for something we will probably never realize and for the immediate gain of retiring Baby Boomers FWIW, minor school taxes on some of the most underfunded schools in the nation can't be so bad.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:41 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,259,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
So let's cut a deal. How about we examine how much money seniors contributed to social security and come up with a formula to see when we cut them off for healthcare and benefits. MANY never paid their "fair share". Additionally, my parents are dead so I don't have any more parents to subsidize. I say let's all cut off the free loaders who barely paid into SSN (and are pulling out WAY more $$"s than they ever contributed). People need to be careful when "fair" is applied equally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I'm 52 and I will be thinking the same thing when I am 65. My exclusive point was people need to be consistent. If you want people to subsidize you when you paid in WAY WAY WAY short, then don't play the "I don't use it card" when it is convenient. I guess what I am saying is a lot of people are hypocrites or are exceptional at rationalizing why they are cheapskates.
Starting this up again, are we? I'm about the same age as you, and I believe the opposite: most senior citizens are not freeloaders, especially when they paid taxes all their lives via their incomes, purchases, properties they own, etc. How much you pull out from Social Security depends a lot on how much you contribute to it. In that respect, most seniors have contributed a sufficient amount during their lives to pay for their benefits they receive now.

Now, compare that to the taxes we all pay for public education. I for one have no kids in school, but I pay for education taxes via different sources, including a pretty sizeable amount through my property taxes. I have no use for schools, and they benefit me in no way, shape or form. To me, they're more of a burden. At the same time, I have no problem contributing to Social Security, largely because I'm contributing to my own retirement in about 15 years or so.

As I've stated before, most seniors who are getting these benefits have contributed to society quite nicely throughout their lives, and a good share of them even served their country. On the other hand, children have contributed nothing to society except being born. Basically, the childless people are supporting the breeding habits of all the parents, and that's about it. When those same children grow up, get jobs, and contribute to society, then and only then should we be discussing how much they're entitled to as far as benefits are concerned. Until then, their education, health care, and other services should be subsidized by their parents (or private contributions).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area