Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 06:49 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,086,833 times

Advertisements

Valley teacher battling cancer gets fired - then reinstated by Governor - ABC15 Arizona

Quote:
PHOENIX - A Valley teacher who was fired because her cancer treatment was taking too long has her job back.

Tarah Ausburn said she has been fighting breast cancer for 10 months – and fighting her employer for about seven of those months.

The Arizona Department of Juvenile Corrections runs Adobe Mountain School, where Ausburn is an English teacher. Ausburn said the school fired her when she ran out of unpaid medical leave and wasn’t yet well enough to return to work.

“I have told some of my family that the cancer battle is not nearly as stressful as the battle I’ve had with my job and just trying to keep my employment,” said Ausburn, who had another surgery on Thursday.

Complaints flooded into the office of Governor Doug Ducey and he set out to investigate. Late this week, Governor Ducey’s office confirmed it will reinstate Ausburn’s job. Ausburn said one of the Governor’s aides called her and told her she would have full pay and benefits for as long as it takes for her complete recovery.

“I don't necessarily feel that great about the agency I work for, but when I’m able to separate those things and focus on my students I really do love my job,” said Ausburn, adding she can’t wait to see her students again this fall.

Ausburn said she has one more surgery and, worst case scenario, she'll be back in the classroom full-time by December. However, she said she will push herself to get back sooner than that if possible.
She has now been reinstated. Now personally, I can't stand and don't trust Gov. Ducey; but Way to go on stepping up and fixing this for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 07:20 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,680,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
Valley teacher battling cancer gets fired - then reinstated by Governor - ABC15 Arizona

She has now been reinstated. Now personally, I can't stand and don't trust Gov. Ducey; but Way to go on stepping up and fixing this for her.
I'm suprised Ducey would do this, I didn't think he had a decent bone in his body

Old 08-13-2016, 07:52 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,630,609 times
Quote:
Valley teacher fired because her breast cancer treatment took too long, then reinstated by GOV.
Excellent! Way to be the Governor, Guv! They seriously need to fire the unthinking & unprincipled person/people who fired this woman. She had enough on her mind without having to worry about her job!

Old 08-13-2016, 07:55 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,988,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I'm suprised Ducey would do this, I didn't think he had a decent bone in his body
He does the right thing from time to time.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:27 AM

4,314 posts, read 4,017,775 times
I thought that was what disability SS was for.

Why should an employer have to carry you indefinitely on their payroll when you are unable to show up for work?

Old 08-13-2016, 09:02 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,097,625 times
Because it's the law, that's why. Fired for having breast cancer? That is the worst thing I have heard of. If she is out of sick leave, she would be eligible for FMLA, which is unpaid, yet still would hold her job for her. Seriously, a lawsuit here might wake up the state of AZ, which has some really dumb practices (and people) at the helm.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:49 AM

4,314 posts, read 4,017,775 times
I have worked at some very good union jobs.

At the one with the most liberal benefits , we got paid disability thru our generous health plan for 6 months. If we could not return after 6 months, we were no longer a company employee.

This was the case for men with cancer, back problems etc.
Why should her case be different ?

Once an employer hires you are they obligated to carry you until retirement age whether you are disabled and can't work.

THAT is what disability SS is for.

Old 08-13-2016, 01:19 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,514,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I thought that was what disability SS was for.

Why should an employer have to carry you indefinitely on their payroll when you are unable to show up for work?

Social Security disability takes months to obtain, even assuming you are deemed qualified at the first application. And there's no health insurance until you are eligible.

Short term disability is available to state employees, but they pay for it. It's not an automatic benefit. State government is not a "union job", where benefits do tend to be better.

It doesn't sound to me like other employees were given the opportunity to donate leave, which should have happened. It should still happen.

Old 08-13-2016, 02:09 PM

39,124 posts, read 51,388,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Social Security disability takes months to obtain, even assuming you are deemed qualified at the first application. And there's no health insurance until you are eligible.

Short term disability is available to state employees, but they pay for it. It's not an automatic benefit. State government is not a "union job", where benefits do tend to be better.

It doesn't sound to me like other employees were given the opportunity to donate leave, which should have happened. It should still happen.
She should be on ASRS disability program if she is too sick to hold her job. It takes some time to kick in, but if she has exhausted her FMLA then too bad. She has both COBRA and Obamacare options for health insurance. Depending on income, she would receive subsidies for Obamacare. The taxpayers can't afford to be paying the bill for people who can't work. Having said that, most state agencies go out of their way to accomodate people with chronic conditions (and the must under certain circumstances regarding disability). They keep jobs open for months for them. Pretty unusual to can them. So there is more here than seems to be evident. What, I don't have any idea.

Old 08-13-2016, 03:18 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,764,663 times
Don't want to "Blame The Victim" or disrespect Gov Ducey's actions, however, I have a feeling there is more to this scenario than what we are hearing / seeing.

Maybe more information is forthcoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: