Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 10:47 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,356,852 times

Advertisements

Back to the original discussion - another article in the PBJ series on this topic today - (subscriber only or I would link) stating that many California HQ companies are actually doing more HIRING for their AZ offices, but at close to the same salaries they were paying in CA - and employees working for the CA tech companies are asking for transfers to AZ but keeping the same salaries - Ziprecruiter and DoubleDutch were particularly used as an example.

Which lends to my point I made a few pages back on this thread that even if the HQs are not plentiful here yet - the expansions more and more include Phoenix and AZ in the mix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 11:32 PM

31 posts, read 30,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
Back to the original discussion - another article in the PBJ series on this topic today - (subscriber only or I would link) stating that many California HQ companies are actually doing more HIRING for their AZ offices, but at close to the same salaries they were paying in CA - and employees working for the CA tech companies are asking for transfers to AZ but keeping the same salaries - Ziprecruiter and DoubleDutch were particularly used as an example.

Which lends to my point I made a few pages back on this thread that even if the HQs are not plentiful here yet - the expansions more and more include Phoenix and AZ in the mix.

One point that many of these reports conveniently ignore is that if a tech company is hiring, it doesn't mean that those are "high paying" tech jobs.

Case in point: Look at the job openings at one of the companies cited above, Ziprecruiter. Almost all of their open positions in Tempe are either Inside Sales or Customer Service.
https://www.ziprecruiter.com/careers#job_openings

In nutshell, a lot of CA based tech companies might be establishing offices in the valley and hiring, but a vast majority of those jobs are call center/inside sales.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:57 AM

394 posts, read 344,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
I totally agree.

I tend to be liberal-leaning but I believe extremism on either side makes bad politics and can do more harm than good for business relations and the general economy.

Thank you for the very factual statement about Arizona not being extremely right-wing like other states.

Some people think Arizona is bigoted, racist, and homophobic based on what a few knuckleheaded politicians in the state say and do, but most people I know here are open-minded and moderate in their views.

Arizona can be conservative in a moderate or reasonable sense without its politicians causing nationwide controversy over sensitive issues like immigration or LGBT rights.
What controversy exists over immigration? There's much about "illegal" immigration (rightly so), but I'm unaware of any issues regarding immigration within the parameters set by law.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:08 AM

1,707 posts, read 4,356,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKDH View Post
One point that many of these reports conveniently ignore is that if a tech company is hiring, it doesn't mean that those are "high paying" tech jobs.

Case in point: Look at the job openings at one of the companies cited above, Ziprecruiter. Almost all of their open positions in Tempe are either Inside Sales or Customer Service.
https://www.ziprecruiter.com/careers#job_openings

In nutshell, a lot of CA based tech companies might be establishing offices in the valley and hiring, but a vast majority of those jobs are call center/inside sales.
Well again - the article in PBJ I was referencing last night SPECIFICALLY addresses the fact that is not a true here anymore. As I said, that article is "paid subscriber only" so I can't link and do not want to cut and past in entirety - but here is the 2nd paragraph in the article:

"Still, the companies aren't just opening offices to pay less. Many are paying near-California wages. For example, ZipRecruiter has said California employees have asked for transfers and are keeping their compensation in the move."

The rest of the article goes on to point out examples etc. of this point.

I am not saying we have anywhere near the engineering base etc. that CA does - but it is changing as the millenials age a bit and having affordable housing becomes more of a factor.

P S - I am not sure what ZipRecruiter's inside sales people make - but I am an inside salesperson (work from home type) for a bay area company that offers (non-tech) support services TO mostly tech companies nationally, and I make mid 100K+ per year. So even if their guys are making half that - that is still pretty good for AZ wages.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:48 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,327,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post

That's good to know they're offering competitive wages. With so many businesses wanting to move out of CA for various reasons, Phoenix should be a good market ... however, what we don't need more of is clerical, call center, back office, or warehouse type of jobs. We have those types of positions in abundance. The Phoenix area needs to start being more nationally and globally competitive. Having regional operation centers is fine, but I would really like to see more large firms set up their national & global HQs here. For a metro area this size, we are still lacking in Fortune 500/1,000 type of companies that are based here.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:52 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,570,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
I totally agree.

I tend to be liberal-leaning but I believe extremism on either side makes bad politics and can do more harm than good for business relations and the general economy.

Thank you for the very factual statement about Arizona not being extremely right-wing like other states.

Some people think Arizona is bigoted, racist, and homophobic based on what a few knuckleheaded politicians in the state say and do, but most people I know here are open-minded and moderate in their views.

Arizona can be conservative in a moderate or reasonable sense without its politicians causing nationwide controversy over sensitive issues like immigration or LGBT rights.
A few?

Both houses of the AZ state legislature voted to pass a bill that would allow people in service sector jobs to refuse to serve people they ***thought*** were gay, lesbian or transgendered based on ...wait for it....their religious convictions!

Again, both houses of the state legislature passed that bill and sent it to then-Gov. Jane Brewer to sign. Because it received such nasty media publicity all across the world, she vetoed it.

For both houses of the state legislature to pass a bill like that means that the majority of Arizonans voted people who think that way into the legislature and a majority of Arizonans must agree with them.

As a gay person living happily in California, what Arizona does has little impact on me, but it was definitely an "eyebrow raiser" for many people here in California -- even Republicans, many of whom have gay relatives or friends!

Now, Java Jolt, please don't think I am lashing out at you in any way. I'm not. I find your posts to be very within reason and pragmatic. However, I thought it was important to note that its more than just a "few" politicians.

Our perception here in California is that Arizonans want English Only, hate LGBT people and Hispanics, love their guns and cigarettes and are very mediocre about education.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:32 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,698,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
A few?

Both houses of the AZ state legislature voted to pass a bill that would allow people in service sector jobs to refuse to serve people they ***thought*** were gay, lesbian or transgendered based on ...wait for it....their religious convictions!

Again, both houses of the state legislature passed that bill and sent it to then-Gov. Jane Brewer to sign. Because it received such nasty media publicity all across the world, she vetoed it.

For both houses of the state legislature to pass a bill like that means that the majority of Arizonans voted people who think that way into the legislature and a majority of Arizonans must agree with them.

As a gay person living happily in California, what Arizona does has little impact on me, but it was definitely an "eyebrow raiser" for many people here in California -- even Republicans, many of whom have gay relatives or friends!

Now, Java Jolt, please don't think I am lashing out at you in any way. I'm not. I find your posts to be very within reason and pragmatic. However, I thought it was important to note that its more than just a "few" politicians.

Our perception here in California is that Arizonans want English Only, hate LGBT people and Hispanics, love their guns and cigarettes and are very mediocre about education.
I agree with you, part of the reason I am moving to California, but that makes me a pariah on this board

Old 08-26-2016, 07:07 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,996,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
A few?

A majority of people don't vote, so a majority can't elect anybody. Instead we have a loud minority and a lot of apathy.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:47 AM

394 posts, read 344,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
A majority of people don't vote, so a majority can't elect anybody. Instead we have a loud minority and a lot of apathy.
Exactly the problem CA has - but on the other end of spectrum.

News fash everyone! Society owes you nothing. If you don't like your life (including your environment), change it. If that means relocating to a place that fits your likes and needs, do it. Stop trying to change other people. The entitlement mentality in this country is getting out of control.

If you don't like AZ, move. I hate CA, so I'm moving. Done.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:54 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,996,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post
Exactly the problem CA has - but on the other end of spectrum.

News fash everyone! Society owes you nothing. If you don't like your life (including your environment), change it. If that means relocating to a place that fits your likes and needs, do it. Stop trying to change other people. The entitlement mentality in this country is getting out of control.

If you don't like AZ, move. I hate CA, so I'm moving. Done.
An overwhelming number of people in AZ love everything about it except the State government. Therefore, it's better to try to change leadership and shake things up. I see no reason to change to accommodate transplants.

I, for example, register Republican during these election cycles to vote in less crazy alternatives in the primaries. I can live with Republicans who don't want to teach creationism in schools, start expensive pissing matches with the Federal govt, expand dark money exemptions etc. Some are more interested in Water, economics, and growth. They get my primary vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area