Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 10:59 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,350,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
I'll address the quote and then the response. First, I agree with phenomenon, our traffic is "challenged" because of the locals. Sure things are a bit more crowded when the snow birds come, but has anyone noticed the increase in our SUMMER traffic?
With all due respect, that is a complete Bizarro world statement. How in the world can our traffic be worse in the summer. I already know that statement is not true but logically that doesn't even make sense. Snowbirds are gone and parents are not dropping off and picking up their kids from school. Those two factors alone improve the traffic considerably and it's one of the reasons that make the summer more bearable. During the summers, I can leave at 6 PM and not fight that much traffic; heck on Friday you can even leave at 5:30 and not deal with much traffic in the summer. During non-summer months, the traffic is still bad until 7 pm when the HOA lanes open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 11:17 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,997,295 times
As others have mentioned, we get 500K+ tourists every winter, and they stay for months. I'd prefer to have "normal" tourists, at least they leave after a few days.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:21 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,766,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
With all due respect, that is a complete Bizarro world statement. How in the world can our traffic be worse in the summer. I already know that statement is not true but logically that doesn't even make sense. Snowbirds are gone and parents are not dropping off and picking up their kids from school. Those two factors alone improve the traffic considerably and it's one of the reasons that make the summer more bearable. During the summers, I can leave at 6 PM and not fight that much traffic; heck on Friday you can even leave at 5:30 and not deal with much traffic in the summer. During non-summer months, the traffic is still bad until 7 pm when the HOA lanes open.
I think that he meant that summer traffic has increased relative to summer traffic in previous years.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:24 AM

226 posts, read 228,335 times
Our tourists are seasonal. They come here to escape the cold and snow, and to explore, play golf, etc. during the winter months. Cities like New York, Philadelphia, San Francisco, L.A., etc - their tourists are perpetual, because of the attractions those cities offer. People will always come to see the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, the Liberty Bell, Hollywood, etc. whether it's hot, cold, snowing, hailing, tornado warning, etc.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:26 AM

2,155 posts, read 5,199,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomenon View Post
Cities such as San Francisco and NYC are massive tourist destinations but think of the impact that this has on the daily life on the locals living there. Going for a morning jog on the Brooklyn Bridge becomes impossible because of the crowds blocking the way. Grabbing a quick coffee or burger along Fisherman's Wharf becomes a chore with the long lines.

Thankfully Phoenix doesn't suffer from such problems. I feel like the relatively small amount of tourists we get stay on the golf courses and spa resorts out in Scottsdale, or maybe just take a rest stop here on their way to the Grand Canyon. Or maybe we do get lots of tourists but I don't notice because they're so spread out?

Anybody feel the same?
I suppose we shouldn't consider the 100K+ snow birds that come every year as tourists. But they come here and crowd the restaurants and roadways just like tourists.

But if you want tourists just consider the Fiesta Bowl, Insight Bowl, Barrett-Jackson, Phoenix Open, Arabian Horse Show and Spring Baseball.

Considering the hotels in the Phoenix metro book over 22 million overnight guests, most of which are tourists. Arizona's largest industry is tourism (most of which is in the Phoenix metro). I would say we get our share of tourists.

The OP must stay home a lot.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:14 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,764,566 times
I notice the tourists congregating at many of our more famous hiking locations including Camelback, South Mountain and Pestawa Peak. We may not have an arch or iconic building but you sure notice the tourists in other ways.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:16 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,089,537 times
Quote:
Cities such as San Francisco and NYC are massive tourist destinations but think of the impact that this has on the daily life on the locals living there. Going for a morning jog on the Brooklyn Bridge becomes impossible because of the crowds blocking the way. Grabbing a quick coffee or burger along Fisherman's Wharf becomes a chore with the long lines.

Thankfully Phoenix doesn't suffer from such problems. I feel like the relatively small amount of tourists we get stay on the golf courses and spa resorts out in Scottsdale, or maybe just take a rest stop here on their way to the Grand Canyon. Or maybe we do get lots of tourists but I don't notice because they're so spread out?

Anybody feel the same?
NO, not one bit. As every other person said, we get too many tourists. They are called snowbirds and they stick around for almost six months. They will start coming here next month.

Quote:
Traffic is horrible in Phoenix because of locals, not tourists.

I think Ponderosa made a good point above. Phoenix doesn't have a central plaza or iconic monument for tourists to congregate so we don't notice them as much.
HELL NO... How long have you been here? Have you been out on the highways over the last few months? Or out on any roads? Give it a month they will start to be congested and unless its between 8pm and 4 am you probably won't even get a chance to go over 55. Accidents will go up, driving will slow down, you will notice ALOT more bad driving; turn signals going on a 1/2 mile before a turn, people turning from the wrong lanes, and there will be more.

OP I think you're the only one in your thread who doesn't know what they are talking about.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:36 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,752,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
With all due respect azriverfan, reread what I wrote. I asked if anyone noticed the increase in our summer traffic, I never said it was worse than our normal traffic. This last summer, in my experience, summer traffic was heavier than what I was accustomed to. Your experience may have been different so I am just speaking of my experience. Hence, the question.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I notice the tourists congregating at many of our more famous hiking locations including Camelback, South Mountain and Pestawa Peak. We may not have an arch or iconic building but you sure notice the tourists in other ways.
You make a good point! Hadn't thought about it, but I meet tons of tourist hiking local mountains.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I think that he meant that summer traffic has increased relative to summer traffic in previous years.
You are absolutely correct!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area