Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 10:06 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,637,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Mill Avenue is a hotspot for panhandling, it seems to be a career for some people.

If they were really homeless or hungry I would give them money but most of them are just scamming the public pretending to be poor.
Pretenders & scammers we will always have with us.

However, there really are those who are living in poverty out there. If people feel inclined to help in some way, or donate to the seriously impoverished, there are many non-profit organizations, many churches (religious organizations) and many other ways to do that.

If you prefer not to deal directly with the so-called "homeless", there is not now, nor ever has been, any reason to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 01:58 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,327,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
However, there really are those who are living in poverty out there. If people feel inclined to help in some way, or donate to the seriously impoverished, there are many non-profit organizations, many churches (religious organizations) and many other ways to do that.
Exactly! Donating to a worthwhile charity or volunteering your time is much more effective than throwing loose change at the bums on the streets holding signs. I definitely agree that most of the ones who hang around on the corners begging for money aren't really down on their luck. They're just looking for a handout, and people should just ignore them because they're frauds! It becomes a problem, however, when they become pushy, demanding, or threatening. I've seen a few who are like that, and I wouldn't hesitate to reciprocate the attitude when that happens.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:36 PM

728 posts, read 1,905,411 times
I don't understand any of this. I just moved here from southern California and although they do have a large homeless problem it tends to mostly be older people and the panhandling wasn't near as bad as it is out here. What I just don't understand is how it's possible for there to be so many jobs available out here yet I see so many young able bodied people standing at off ramps and street corners holding a cardboard sign. Most of them are smoking and have phones. If you can afford smokes and a phone then you really aren't that poor.

If you continue to contribute to the problem then don't expect it to ever go away. Stop giving them money and they will eventually move on.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:47 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,350,055 times
I noticed a drop in the homeless rate. During the recession, the homeless population noticeably increased but I haven't seen near the levels of homeless people that I saw back then. It actually looks to be decreasing.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:48 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,885,750 times
It is every western city. I have been to most western large cities and the homeless population is huge everywhere.

It seems like Phoenix has less then most, especially on a per-capita basis. '

I have not seen an influx of homeless when I have been in Phoenix this summer, I was there in early August and it was no different then other years I have been there.

Although, Phoenix tends to have a seasonal influx of homelessness it seems in the winter likely from colder western cities but it is far less visaable then other major cities.

If I were homeless and had just a little bit of money left, I would go to California. I think few would ever want to be homeless but the homeless there seem more content then other places.

I know there is homelessness in Phoenix but it is far less out in the open then most major western cities. I think it might be the heat and the fact that they spread themselves out more.

Denver, Colorado Springs, San Diego and especially Salt Lake City the homeless are far more visable then Phoenix.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:51 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,350,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
I don't understand any of this. I just moved here from southern California and although they do have a large homeless problem it tends to mostly be older people and the panhandling wasn't near as bad as it is out here. What I just don't understand is how it's possible for there to be so many jobs available out here yet I see so many young able bodied people standing at off ramps and street corners holding a cardboard sign. Most of them are smoking and have phones. If you can afford smokes and a phone then you really aren't that poor.

If you continue to contribute to the problem then don't expect it to ever go away. Stop giving them money and they will eventually move on.
I'm from Southern California as well. The homeless rate there is far higher due to more temperate weather in the summer and government assistance programs. I don't understand how you can possibly say there are more homeless here. They are all over every beach area and nearly every bench has a homeless guy sleeping on it there. The cost of living is so incredibly high in southern california that a lot of its residents are forced to becoming homeless because they can no longer afford to live there. At least in Phoenix, you don't see them at the airport and every grocery store entrance like you do in So Cal. Your statement is the equivalent of someone from New York saying they find more sky scrapers in Phoenix than NYC. The only panhandlers you see here are on freeway exits. In So Cal, they are all over the place: Dodgers games, LAX, outside of Disney and all the amusement parks, beaches, etc. I remember I couldn't go to Trader Joes in So Cal because every time you went, you were bombarded by homeless people at the entrance.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:09 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,309,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I'm from Southern California as well. The homeless rate there is far higher due to more temperate weather in the summer and government assistance programs. I don't understand how you can possibly say there are more homeless here. They are all over every beach area and nearly every bench has a homeless guy sleeping on it there. The cost of living is so incredibly high in southern california that a lot of its residents are forced to becoming homeless because they can no longer afford to live there. At least in Phoenix, you don't see them at the airport and every grocery store entrance like you do in So Cal. Your statement is the equivalent of someone from New York saying they find more sky scrapers in Phoenix than NYC. The only panhandlers you see here are on freeway exits. In So Cal, they are all over the place: Dodgers games, LAX, outside of Disney and all the amusement parks, beaches, etc. I remember I couldn't go to Trader Joes in So Cal because every time you went, you were bombarded by homeless people at the entrance.
Exactly, there are definitely many more than here, especially all over San Diego, San Francisco and parts of LA. People probably aren't aware that there's a real neighborhood in LA called "Skid Row", do some google street views of that area

Old 08-24-2016, 03:53 PM

394 posts, read 344,754 times
indeed they are everywhere in SoCal - EVERYWHERE!

I rarely see them when I'm in AZ... granted, it hasn't been full time yet, but most places I've been have no pan handlers... I think I saw one at the off ramp of 101 (not sure what town) and I was surprised...

Overall the ratio is FAR less in Phoenix than SoCal... I hope it stays that way - but with some of the bleeding hearts I see on this forum - it won't surprise me when the shysters multiply and take advantage of the naivety here.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:11 PM

10,117 posts, read 19,465,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
That is their job.

They feed on guilt. Don't have any.

Wow....well put. Not to hijack this thread, but this describes my DS20 exactly. He lives off the sympathy of others, pitting them against each other in a bizarre sort of competition to "save" the poor, abused boy. Trouble is, he's very good at it.....

Old 08-25-2016, 09:46 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,997,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post
I rarely see them when I'm in AZ...
Clearly you dont spend much time here.

They are absolutely everywhere. Ive seen them in Carefree, all the way down to Ahwatukee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area