Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 07:50 AM

13,570 posts, read 7,536,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by once-upon-chicago View Post
I've been in the Valley for over 30 years and have been noticing the homeless in areas of town where I've never seen the homeless before, for example, north Scottsdale and north east Phoenix (not to mention an overall rise in the number of homeless - even downtown Phoenix). Only since this year it seems that I've seen the homeless at Scottsdale and Bell, or even Tatum and Bell. Even in Sun City! I don't understand as the infrastructure isn't set up for easy travel, and there are no services in these areas that I know of. Is it because the metro area is growing out? Thoughts on this?
I wish people would stop calling them homeless. They are making 200-300 a day tax free I don't know why anyone gives them money there has been several news stories where they follow the person who goes back to a home only to find out they are outright scam or hooked on drugs.

Friend of mine went to Seattle Pioneer Square said panhandlers there were very aggressive getting in your face and yelling if you didn't give them money. He asked a store owner about it and they said just give them 25 cents they leave you alone like a tax on walking down the street.

Example of what he was talking about >https://www.reddit.com/r/Seattle/com...ok&sh=212817dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddandano View Post
I just spoke with a Phx cop. He told me it is a heroin problem. These are mostly junkies. He said that they do not have guns but every one of them has a knife. Please be careful when dealing with these people, they can hurt you.
I know someone who was addicted to narcotic drugs now works as a drug counselor she said last 5-7 years doctors have become increasingly more restrictive to get scripts for narcotics those people are turning to heroin. The DEA went after doctors who were writing too many scripts of pain killers shut them down. States passed laws to allow pharmacy's to share a database stop people who get multiple doctors to write scripts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 08:10 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,890,566 times
I live in Miami Beach and we do have a ton of homeless here, warm weather cities always have a lot of transients and homeless people. I do agree many homeless people are scamming people but I have seen some teenage homeless girls as well being pimped out before and that is sad. Lot of people take advantage of the homeless as well here robbing them or beating them up because they know the homeless will not report it to police. Sad situations all around.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:46 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,817,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Contrary to popular belief our national economy is not as strong as the government wants us to believe. I know from first hand experience that some transients became that way due to unexpected life changes. Prior to that, they were just like "us" in terms of living a "normal" life.
I'm not in AZ but I did notice this thread by browsing. And, yes, I'm seeing an uptick in homelessness in Philadelphia and NYC specifically people squatting with those sad cardboard signs.

I would factor in the opioid/heroin epidemic that's going on as another part of it. I see a lot young people now in addition to people who have been on the streets for a long time.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:14 AM

8,081 posts, read 7,006,335 times
I haven't noticed any more/less homeless here than anywhere else. However, I have noticed a popular scam here and it goes like this:

(Approaches walking person while on a bicycle)
"Hey I'm here from [CITY] my wife and kids are up in a room over there, I was staying with my so called family and now I can't afford to feed my wife and kids and just need enough money for bus fare/food."

Old 08-28-2016, 10:08 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,346,707 times
It is definitely a serious problem, especially in major metro areas (LA, NYC, Chicago, Miami, New Orleans, etc.). I don't have any answers for sure but I definitely try to avoid any confrontations with anyone.

I do recall the 'windshield cleaners' of the past that, while 'admirable' they were 'working' for their handout I found them to be pushy and intimidating. We don't seem to have any of those around here anymore. Interesting story, but somehow it's a bit off.

Panhandlers win in court over sheriff's office in Chicago - January 28, 2016

Phillips, who said he started panhandling 10 years ago after losing his job as a butcher, said he can make as much as $8,000 annually begging five hours a day, five days a week. He said he typically holds up a sign that reads, "I'm Just Hungry."

On the witness stand, he told jurors he's occasionally handed a $20 bill but often makes just several dollars a day.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/panhandle...61.html?ref=gs

Old 08-28-2016, 11:08 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,644,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
It is definitely a serious problem, especially in major metro areas (LA, NYC, Chicago, Miami, New Orleans, etc.). I don't have any answers for sure but I definitely try to avoid any confrontations with anyone.

I do recall the 'windshield cleaners' of the past that, while 'admirable' they were 'working' for their handout I found them to be pushy and intimidating. We don't seem to have any of those around here anymore. Interesting story, but somehow it's a bit off.

Panhandlers win in court over sheriff's office in Chicago - January 28, 2016

Phillips, who said he started panhandling 10 years ago after losing his job as a butcher, said he can make as much as $8,000 annually begging five hours a day, five days a week. He said he typically holds up a sign that reads, "I'm Just Hungry."

On the witness stand, he told jurors he's occasionally handed a $20 bill but often makes just several dollars a day.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/panhandle...61.html?ref=gs
Homeless Where the Heart is...

Old 08-28-2016, 11:23 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,362,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I wish people would stop calling them homeless. They are making 200-300 a day tax free I don't know why anyone gives them money there has been several news stories where they follow the person who goes back to a home only to find out they are outright scam or hooked on drugs.
Contrarians give them money. Oh what are contrarians? If you haven't noticed, there are always people who like to go against status quo for the sake of feeling pride at being the person who does things differently. So the contrarian types hear all this buzz about the homeless scamming people and they want to go against that. They want to say "Oh people are so cruel, they are just making that up, I will give them cash every time I see them." Unfortunately, there are a fair number of idiotic contrarians who have to prove everyone wrong and they keep perpetuating the problem.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:15 PM

728 posts, read 1,906,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Contrarians give them money. Oh what are contrarians? If you haven't noticed, there are always people who like to go against status quo for the sake of feeling pride at being the person who does things differently. So the contrarian types hear all this buzz about the homeless scamming people and they want to go against that. They want to say "Oh people are so cruel, they are just making that up, I will give them cash every time I see them." Unfortunately, there are a fair number of idiotic contrarians who have to prove everyone wrong and they keep perpetuating the problem.
Kinda like a Hipster? Giving money to panhandlers before it was cool/trendy.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:04 PM

13,570 posts, read 7,536,205 times
The only time I get upset is when I see them out with young kids pan handling that's when I call the police. I saw a woman who was obviously on drugs with a 2-3 year old in the center of the street 100 degrees out. Kid face was sun burnt red and crying.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:33 AM
YAZ

7,705 posts, read 14,146,251 times
Oh yeah, the vast majority (excuse me for my outlandish assumption....maybe), are not homeless. A few years ago there were a couple of gals with signs at my favorite exit ramp. "Need money for kids' Christmas."

Let's face it, it's become "normal" to ask for money. And the gals that I saw peddlin' for Christmas cash prob'ly were more efficient at raising money then let's say.....a part-time seasonal job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area