Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 10:30 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,089,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.teach View Post
That sounds like a great idea! I do want to explore this city - but the heat is a bit much & everyone says how beautiful it is up north... so what your suggesting may be a good plan. I'm pretty open to do anything - hiking, kayaking, etc - I just want to explore, maybe meet some new people and see what else is out there. Being that I've been waiting my whole life to live away from the snow in the winter - I doubt I'll be going up for skiing over the winter!

Thanks for this suggestion!
Theres plenty of time to check out phoenix in about a month. It will drop 10-20 degrees, and once it starts to snow everywhere else, we will have the best weather in the country for about 5 months.
Outdoorsy stuff, nice. We have several lakes around here that will probably be packed for the weekend.

If you consider heading up north, Sedona has turned pretty touristy, and overpriced but beautiful and definitely worth going sooner than later. It will probably be packed over the weekend. Montezumas castle is about half way up to flag right off I-17 and has spots to camp and check out for a day or two. Probably not nearly as crowded as most things if youre looking to just get away.

Grand Canyon is a bit farther than flag another thing that will be packed for the holiday (like most of em) but were almost the best time of the year to get up there. If youre an experienced hiker, get some info on the hike to the bottom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 10:53 PM

2 posts, read 1,430 times
Quote:
I was thinking of going on a road trip, but I'm not sure where. I'd like to drive to either Sedona or Cali. I've been in AZ for a month from the east coast and I'm feeling a little homesick so I want to be sure to stay busy over Labor Day weekend. Are there any groups (for ppl in their 30s+) that I could look into joining that will go on any fun/relaxing adventures? I tried looking at the meetup site, but couldn't really find anything for this weekend and for what I'm looking to do. TIA!
I'm new to town and have been in Phoenix for a month also. I'm from NY. I will review your post for ideas for the Labor Day weekend.

Also, what one poster said is VERY true about the trip to Sedona. If there is an accident or any impairment of I-17, you are STUCK! That happened to me about two weeks ago.

Actually, I'm thinking about a quick flight or a long drive to San Diego to do some beach front hanging out..

Good luck!

Old 08-29-2016, 11:02 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,752,248 times
Quote:
That sounds like a great idea! I do want to explore this city - but the heat is a bit much & everyone says how beautiful it is up north... so what your suggesting may be a good plan. I'm pretty open to do anything - hiking, kayaking, etc - I just want to explore, maybe meet some new people and see what else is out there. Being that I've been waiting my whole life to live away from the snow in the winter - I doubt I'll be going up for skiing over the winter!

Just know that the road will be super crowded going to Flagstaff this weekend. Coming from the east you will appreciate the pine trees and greenery up there. It may help with some of the home sickness.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:14 AM

40 posts, read 36,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modaddy90 View Post
I'm new to town and have been in Phoenix for a month also. I'm from NY. I will review your post for ideas for the Labor Day weekend.

Also, what one poster said is VERY true about the trip to Sedona. If there is an accident or any impairment of I-17, you are STUCK! That happened to me about two weeks ago.

Actually, I'm thinking about a quick flight or a long drive to San Diego to do some beach front hanging out..

Good luck!
Welcome fellow newbie! Thanks for the tip! San Diego was my original plan! Have you done the drive yet? if/when i go, it'll be my first time in SD in over 20 yrs and my first time doing the drive.

What part of NY did you come from?

Old 08-30-2016, 07:44 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,764,566 times
Quote:
Welcome fellow newbie! Thanks for the tip! San Diego was my original plan!
I vote against San Diego, I think you should get to know your adopted home-state first. Arizona is pretty incredible and there's a lot to go see and do. My suggestion is subscribe to a few of our local magazines, I get tons of ideas out of Arizona Highways and Phoenix Magazine. As far as bad traffic goes, don't leave at the usual times/days and it's tolerable. If we go somewhere on labor day weekend we will try to take Tuesday off and come back then instead of Monday or leave Saturday instead of Friday night.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Just know that the road will be super crowded going to Flagstaff this weekend. Coming from the east you will appreciate the pine trees and greenery up there. It may help with some of the home sickness.
And it is incredibly green right now! There are wildflowers growing everywhere, there is thick dark green grass around all the trails on the peaks, it's one of the best times of the year to go up there and enjoy the outdoors.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:

I don't know if anyone suggested this yet but the meetup groups and facebook groups in Phoenix are pretty well used, you can find groups for kayaking, hiking, running, science, painting, photography and just about anything else you want. Phoenix is full of people from other places and I generally find most folks are outgoing and up for making new friends. I've made a lot of friends on the trail.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:18 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,345,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I vote against San Diego, I think you should get to know your adopted home-state first. Arizona is pretty incredible and there's a lot to go see and do. My suggestion is subscribe to a few of our local magazines, I get tons of ideas out of Arizona Highways and Phoenix Magazine. As far as bad traffic goes, don't leave at the usual times/days and it's tolerable. If we go somewhere on labor day weekend we will try to take Tuesday off and come back then instead of Monday or leave Saturday instead of Friday night.
I agree. IMO there are times to visit places like San Diego and Sedona, but a holiday weekend is NOT when I would do it.

You won't get much cooler temps, but don't forget about Tucson for pines and mountain views. The drive up Mt Lemmon is a great drive and there is a ski area at the top. The chair lift should be open now to take you up for the views.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:38 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,997,295 times
The Grand Canyon, if you havent already seen it, is absolutely worth the 2.5 hour drive north. Hit up the South Rim, but start at the end of the canyon at Desert View Watchtower, and work your way back to Mathers Point.

And ignore the idea of going tubing down the Salt River, unless you like to be absolutely surrounded by college idiots, most of whom are naked and drunk. Its not a pleasant experience to those who dont like to be around that worthless element. Also be aware of glass in the river and, ahem, literal crap in the water.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:48 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,637,275 times
Quote:
I'm new to the area & need some ideas for things to do for Labor Day weekend
Great Labor Day in Arizona ideas from excellent posters!

NO to San Diego. NO to California. Stick with Arizona, friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area