Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 07:02 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,590 posts, read 14,720,423 times

Advertisements

Tomorrow night/Fri morning could be the first sub-70° low since May, NWS is predicting 70° exactly with clear skies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 07:55 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,092,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzeran View Post
Man this is my first summer here. Kinda getting tired of it lasting for this long. I am being told by other people that this is an unusually hot summer here. I really didn't know that it would be 100's in the mornings and it just lasts all day and into the night. I'm sticking with it though, liking it here other than that, but I know it's a common complaint. Just sucks when you think September will be a little better and I guess it is but still hot as ****. I came from D/FW so hot weather isn't unheard of but they sure as hell don't get this hot for this long, lol.

And very disappointed in the "Monsoon" that we had this year, to me this is normal as it's my first year, so this isn't looking good on the weather front. I have a friend coming into town in a couple of weeks and it's already supposed to be into the 100's again. Oh well, it's an experience for now.
Yeah, the first one is the hardest. After that you will climatize, and be wearing hoodies when its in the 80s and freezing when its in the 40s like the rest of us.

This summer was hotter than usual. The 110 degree days are usually for only about a week, this year was about a month. The HOT stuff really kicked in hard about a month earlier than usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
When you say it's 100 in the morning, are you rolling out of bed at noon or 6am? If you're wanting to spend summer days outdoors you either roll out of bed at the butt crack of dawn and get finished very early or you drive to cooler temps, which is relatively easy to do compared to DFW. Most of us locals are getting excited this time of year, my phone has a prediction of 69 degrees for the overnight low later this week, so mornings are nowhere near 100 now and that's a big step towards the end of summer.

Most people here call the end of summer 9/30.
That person was talking about the hot part of the summer, not the cooler days were having now, but after you made that comment you reverted back to talking about the summer overall.

This is normal temps for the year. The HOT stuff started a month early so we've been putting up with em a little longer than normal. Now where's the snowbirds suck at driving thread?

Old 09-14-2016, 08:06 AM

5,649 posts, read 6,006,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
Yeah, the first one is the hardest. After that you will climatize, and be wearing hoodies when its in the 80s and freezing when its in the 40s like the rest of us.
I dont wear hoodies 'til its in the 60's.

Anyone else enjoy last nights cool dry air? I did. Had the windows down in the car, felt so good. #screwsummer

Old 09-14-2016, 10:17 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,740,713 times
I was in the Phoenix area over the weekend, and the high temperature in Scottsdale on Saturday was in the range of 104-106 degrees with decently high humidity due to monsoonal moisture. I burned my hand on both the seat-belt and steering wheel of my rental car. It took the car 10-15 minutes to cool off, and even then, it was still uncomfortable.

Saturday was September 10th.

I think what's difficult to fathom is that people in Phoenix have been dealing with these unbearable conditions for - at the very least - five solid months by this point in the year.

IMO, the length of time that it's unbearably hot is the worst aspect of Phoenix summers. That, and the feeling of being "cooped up" indoors during what is generally considered the best time of the year really sucks.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:23 AM

9,185 posts, read 16,722,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
I was in the Phoenix area over the weekend, and the high temperature in Scottsdale on Saturday was in the range of 104-106 degrees with decently high humidity due to monsoonal moisture. I burned my hand on both the seat-belt and steering wheel of my rental car. It took the car 10-15 minutes to cool off, and even then, it was still uncomfortable.

Saturday was September 10th.

I think what's difficult to fathom is that people in Phoenix have been dealing with these unbearable conditions for - at the very least - five solid months by this point in the year.

IMO, the length of time that it's unbearably hot is the worst aspect of Phoenix summers. That, and the feeling of being "cooped up" indoors during what is generally considered the best time of the year really sucks.
Do you have unusually thin skin? I mean that as a genuine question, as I've not once burned myself. A healthy adult with common sense should not be getting burned in a car.

What you call unbearable doesn't bother me. I exercise outdoor all summer and enjoy pool time. There's no reason to be cooped up unless you have a health condition and don't hydrate yourself. On the other hand, I know the feeling of being cooped up from my time back east. Months and months of cold, dreary grayness is what's unbearable to me.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:30 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,155,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post

Anyone else enjoy last nights cool dry air? I did. Had the windows down in the car, felt so good. #screwsummer
I was at the gym and spent about 15 minutes in the sauna...then walked outside and it felt downright chilly....this morning was great as well.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
That, and the feeling of being "cooped up" indoors during what is generally considered the best time of the year really sucks.
Seasons are pretty much reversed here. The vast majority do not consider our summer months to be the best time of the year.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:43 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,092,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post

Went running yesterday and today. When its hot out I get too dehydrated to do that, and need a couple days to drink more water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Seasons are pretty much reversed here. The vast majority do not consider our summer months to be the best time of the year.
+1,000,000. Most of us tolerate the heat for our PRIME winters. We don't like to remind everyone else about it though. If you are unsure of this, give it a month or two when everyone else is getting that cold powdered sugary lookin stuff that falls from those puffy things in the sky, (or so they tell me that's where it comes from), we will be enjoying 70s in the day, and 50s at night.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:57 AM

226 posts, read 228,555 times
We're all going to miss these months of 100+ heat come December and January.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade007 View Post
We're all going to miss these months of 100+ heat come December and January.
Yes and no. I personally don't mind 100+ and I'm sure I'll long for the heat a bit when I'm cold but now that I have a toddler we will be able to go outside every day all day without the worry of scorching playground equipment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area