Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 09:52 PM

3,712 posts, read 2,446,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
Actually, you will be much better to go to Old Town Scottsdale than Tempe. Unless you want to hang with the college students. Old Town Scottsdale is very lively and much more suited for a 40's someone than Tempe. In fact, you might be too old in some places on the weekends in Scottsdale.

And despite a much improved (in the last few years) social climate, downtown Phoenix will be quite boring after hours unless there is a ball game or concert going on. Not that many people live downtown and after they have had their dinner they head home.
Thanks for the info,

Yes, the US is very "ageist" when it comes to people of different ages mingling.

Like I told DetroitNV, I will go to Scottsdale to check it out.

When I go out I'm just looking for good conversation.

(South East Asia is much different in the social scene of people of different ages, and meeting people.)

I'll be checking out Mesa also, not for "nightlife" but basic neighborhoods.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 06:50 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,993,613 times
I live in SE Asia, too. I used to have a house in Mid-town Phoenix...didn't have a car. I would recommend the Mid-Town Hilton, which is about 3700 N. Central Ave.. You could ditch the rental car altogether...net costs of rental cars in PHX are a rip-off. Mid-town is safer than downtown to walk around, but both are OK..just take the Light Rail to see the Dbacks..or go to Tempe/Mesa...get an agent to pick you up at the station, but the best places will be within a mile of the rail. Also, there is a weekly long stay place at about 3rd ave., and Indian School, that is a 5-10 minute walk from the Hilton...There should be some good lowseason deals...but not immediately around the airport. Also a few kind of boutique hotels in the Osborn/Central area...I recall one September getting four nights at the Hampton Inn for 19 per night, with free breakfast..on Priceline...YMMV.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
I live in SE Asia, too. I used to have a house in Mid-town Phoenix...didn't have a car. I would recommend the Mid-Town Hilton, which is about 3700 N. Central Ave.. You could ditch the rental car altogether...net costs of rental cars in PHX are a rip-off. Mid-town is safer than downtown to walk around, but both are OK..just take the Light Rail to see the Dbacks..or go to Tempe/Mesa...get an agent to pick you up at the station, but the best places will be within a mile of the rail. Also, there is a weekly long stay place at about 3rd ave., and Indian School, that is a 5-10 minute walk from the Hilton...There should be some good lowseason deals...but not immediately around the airport. Also a few kind of boutique hotels in the Osborn/Central area...I recall one September getting four nights at the Hampton Inn for 19 per night, with free breakfast..on Priceline...YMMV.
Thanks for the info, SEA Neighbor.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:36 PM

628 posts, read 1,442,481 times
Tempe Mission Palms

Old 09-06-2016, 10:55 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,956,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phx1205 View Post
Not sure where you are from, but in AZ it is highly encouraged not to drive when planning a night out at the bars.
I have lived quite a few places in the US but when I plan a night out I don't plan it to get drunk....

Old 09-06-2016, 11:35 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,706,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
I have lived quite a few places in the US but when I plan a night out I don't plan it to get drunk....
So? Do you feel a prize is in order? Some people like to go out and cut loose a bit.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:38 PM

78 posts, read 71,094 times
Thanks to the OP and for the helpful posts.

Will be traveling to Phoenix soon for a vacation and this has been a good read, minus the sanctimonious-alcohol is the devil- type posts.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:31 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,345,654 times
Quote:
Arizona has the strictest drunk driving laws in the country. You don't need to "get drunk" to be at risk for being pulled over and jail time. (first offense you go to jail for a minimum of 24 hours, up to 10 days) Just 2 drinks (5 oz of wine, 12oz of beer. 1.5 oz hard liquor per drink) could be enough to put someone over the legal limit depending on body type, what they have eaten that day, etc.

Arizona DUI Laws, Penalties and Fines | DrivingLaws.org

Old 09-06-2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearedtowardssalad View Post
Tempe Mission Palms
Will check it out.

Cheers.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:
I don't plan to get "drunk" either.

We're talking DWI laws, here.

And no, I do not condone driving while over the legal limit.

But if you do go out with friends and fam, and or meet some fun people solo out on the town, it only takes a couple of drinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area