Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 11:15 PM

3,698 posts, read 2,420,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal View Post
Thanks to the OP and for the helpful posts.

Will be traveling to Phoenix soon for a vacation and this has been a good read, minus the sanctimonious-alcohol is the devil- type posts.
Cheers, Nadal.

I like to imbib.

Living overseas, it's much easier to do so and socialize. In the US, it's being isolated in a house or apartment in a cul-de-sac.

Not my style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Arizona has the strictest drunk driving laws in the country. You don't need to "get drunk" to be at risk for being pulled over and jail time. (first offense you go to jail for a minimum of 24 hours, up to 10 days) Just 2 drinks (5 oz of wine, 12oz of beer. 1.5 oz hard liquor per drink) could be enough to put someone over the legal limit depending on body type, what they have eaten that day, etc.

Arizona DUI Laws, Penalties and Fines | DrivingLaws.org
I lived in WA, District of Columbia, VA, CA, and FL.

Laws are strict and I understand why they should be. I don't want to lose a family member, friend, nor me due to drinking and driving.

I prefer to live in neighborhood where I can get a haircut, buy groceries, eat out, go to the gym, and yes, go to fun watering holes, all on foot without having to drive.

US cities and especially the suburbs, suck when it comes to community.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:40 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,331,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post

Laws are strict and I understand why they should be. I don't want to lose a family member, friend, nor me due to drinking and driving.

I prefer to live in neighborhood where I can get a haircut, buy groceries, eat out, go to the gym, and yes, go to fun watering holes, all on foot without having to drive.

I'd agree you can probably do that in the North Central area better than Downtown near the baseball field. Or Old Town Scottsdale. I like a lot of the outer areas of Tempe but when you're talking Mill Ave. it's all college students, this time of year especially.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:44 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,976,723 times
Quote:

Hey neighbor...that pretty much describes my hood in Chiang Mai....walked for groceries and haircut yesterday, while running a load of laundry. 3, 7-11s within 250 meters. Not a gym rat, but I use the 50m pool at CMU and the two tracks. Free electric trolley takes me to the bank and PO. Haircut was 2.80 usd, fried rice by the bank was 83 cents...getting two hour outcall massage and a ride to the airport for 11 usd. Dentist across the street, and pharmacy with Doctor of Pharmacy not much farther. Oh, and my 25/8 internet is 15 per month. And your ObamaCare premiums are how much?

But, as stated, I lived on N 8th st, just S. of Indian School for two years without a car, and really didn't lose sleep over not having one. I was rehabbing my 1946 bungalow, and had a guy that would take me to HD, and help me load/unload for 20 usd. Took about 4 trips....and for single items just took the bus or bought on the internet and almost always had free delivery. That gentlemen's club at 7th and IS had some great deals...like 1 usd Stella drafts from 11 till noon.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I'd agree you can probably do that in the North Central area better than Downtown near the baseball field.
Cheers, Jukesgrrl.

I assume you are referring to "Mid-town" along 7th Ave or so? Between Indian and Camelback or around those parts?

Quote:
Or Old Town Scottsdale. I like a lot of the outer areas of Tempe but when you're talking Mill Ave. it's all college students, this time of year especially.
Yes, I'll explore Scottsdale, and other areas as well.

I've got 5 days to investigate.

I plan on relocating to Phoenix and need to get oriented with different parts of the city, and such.

You've been very helpful on the "Tucson" forum, in which I've read and posted a few years ago b/c I have family there half of the year.

Not enough job opportunities in Tucson, however.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Hey neighbor...that pretty much describes my hood in Chiang Mai....walked for groceries and haircut yesterday, while running a load of laundry. 3, 7-11s within 250 meters. Not a gym rat, but I use the 50m pool at CMU and the two tracks. Free electric trolley takes me to the bank and PO. Haircut was 2.80 usd, fried rice by the bank was 83 cents...getting two hour outcall massage and a ride to the airport for 11 usd. Dentist across the street, and pharmacy with Doctor of Pharmacy not much farther. Oh, and my 25/8 internet is 15 per month. And your ObamaCare premiums are how much?

But, as stated, I lived on N 8th st, just S. of Indian School for two years without a car, and really didn't lose sleep over not having one. I was rehabbing my 1946 bungalow, and had a guy that would take me to HD, and help me load/unload for 20 usd. Took about 4 trips....and for single items just took the bus or bought on the internet and almost always had free delivery. That gentlemen's club at 7th and IS had some great deals...like 1 usd Stella drafts from 11 till noon.
Cheers, Hal.

I worked in Bangkok about 16 years ago. Unfortunately, I've never been north of Petchabun.

I usually go to Thailand once per year for a week.

We can't beat the cost of living.

If I live long enough (knock on wood) I'll prefer to grow old and die in South East Asia.

Going without a car for 2 years in Phoenix is admirable. I will be buying a car when I return to the US. Meaning, I'll take out a car loan instead of plunking down all cash. Something like a good quality pre-owned Toyota Corrolla.

Good to hear your report on S. Indian road.

Old 09-07-2016, 08:55 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,949,392 times
Avoid Mill Avenue -- it's Arizona State University's drinking area. You'll be surrounded by early 20's college students. Very crowded, loud music, expensive drinks. There's a few exceptions on Mill that are more laid back, but overall it's a college town. The Tempe Mission Palms hotel is pretty nice, though.

I would cast my vote for downtown Scottsdale. Plenty of hotels -- everything from a Super 8, to the W. If you avoid the big clubs, most of the bars are more relaxed, and full of working professionals (late 20's - early 40's). Everything is within walking distance, but there's also a few companies that run golf cart services -- entirely tip/cash based, but they'll drive you anywhere around downtown/old town Scottsdale. Pretty nice when you and some friends want to get back to the hotel but are too tired / drunk to walk.

Downtown Phoenix is getting better, but it's not quite there. Access by car can be a little tedious, and you'll most likely have to pay extra for parking if you're staying in downtown proper. While downtown has been redeveloped, and midtown is nice, if you wander too far in the wrong direction you can quickly find yourself in a "bad" area of Phoenix. Do the same in Scottsdale, and you find yourself lost in some higher-end suburbs.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
Avoid Mill Avenue -- it's Arizona State University's drinking area. You'll be surrounded by early 20's college students. Very crowded, loud music, expensive drinks. There's a few exceptions on Mill that are more laid back, but overall it's a college town. The Tempe Mission Palms hotel is pretty nice, though.

I would cast my vote for downtown Scottsdale. Plenty of hotels -- everything from a Super 8, to the W. If you avoid the big clubs, most of the bars are more relaxed, and full of working professionals (late 20's - early 40's). Everything is within walking distance, but there's also a few companies that run golf cart services -- entirely tip/cash based, but they'll drive you anywhere around downtown/old town Scottsdale. Pretty nice when you and some friends want to get back to the hotel but are too tired / drunk to walk.

Downtown Phoenix is getting better, but it's not quite there. Access by car can be a little tedious, and you'll most likely have to pay extra for parking if you're staying in downtown proper. While downtown has been redeveloped, and midtown is nice, if you wander too far in the wrong direction you can quickly find yourself in a "bad" area of Phoenix. Do the same in Scottsdale, and you find yourself lost in some higher-end suburbs.
I appreciate your info, cab591.

I've read quite a few of your posts. Very helpful.

I'm learning a lot here.

I'll heed your advice on this post.

Old 09-07-2016, 01:16 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,279,725 times
Quote:
You can do all that easier in some parts of Phoenix than others ... however, when I was younger, I didn't have a car and had to get around by bus & walking. This was back when the bus service was a lot more limited than it is now. It wasn't easy trying to walk & wait for a bus in the summer heat, but I did it, and others do as well. Having a car is almost a necessity in Phoenix (even if you live in a centrally located area). If a person doesn't drive, or prefers to not drive as much for whatever reason, I recommend staying along or near north Central Avenue, downtown, Tempe, or certain parts of Scottsdale.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:05 PM

445 posts, read 516,209 times
Quote:
Many do indeed suck, but not all. Unfortunately, I'd lump Phoenix into the former group. I think pne of the biggest differences is if you go to older or more dense cities, you have housing with front porches and patios that are all very close together. People hang out in the front of their houses and wind up interacting with their neighbors more. Here you have the opposite...even in the city the houses are laid out in a very suburban way, and people tend to spend their outdoor time in their backyards instead, isolated from their neighbors. All that is a generalization of course, but it's true more often than not here.

Quote:
I wish Phoenix had more neighborhoods like this myself. Unfortunately the options for areas that meet your description, while not totally absent, are limited. The Melrose area might be worth looking into (around 7th Ave between Indian School and Camelback), as would Midtown Phoenix along Central, the Roosevelt area, and even Old Town Scottsdale if you are within a half mile or so of Scottsdale Rd. I'd shy away from Mill Avenue in Tempe for the reasons other posters have listed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area