Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 04:32 AM

1 posts, read 4,081 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I am a 28 year old female veteran, single mother of two planning to move to Phoenix within the next few months. I have a masters degree in Cybersecurity. What I want to know is are black
people welcomed in Phoenix since the population is predominantly white and Hispanic. I am ok with diversity. I get along with everyone. I am just worried about children. Is Phoenix safe? Are the schools great? I am planning to get employed by the government. I know the more you make, the safer your neighborhood. I am looking to find a house to rent for around $2500/$3000 per month. What are your suggestions as far as good school, safety, decent homes? I just keep hearing the negative reviews concerning racism in Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 06:48 AM

38,955 posts, read 50,875,947 times
There are a many threads on this subject that have come up over the years. My own experience as a mixed race black/white family in Phoenix is that it this is one of the most accepting places for blacks you are going to find in the US. There are many black people here, but they generally speaking are not concentrated in specific areas because there is no race-based segregation going on - voluntary or otherwise. That leads to some culture shock for blacks who come here from other cities. On the other hand, I think that every school in Phoenix has at least some black students and some interracial kids (there are a lot of interracial families here) and every development has black families living there. If you are OK with your kids BFFs being white or hispanic, interracial dating, and even your own friends being of a different race or culture, then you will be fine.

Your estimate of what you need to spend on rent to find a safe place with good schools is way too high. The best family oriented areas with good schools will run you around $2000 tops for the typical 3/2 house.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:38 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,866,205 times
One of our close friends are a mixed race family with 3 adopted black kids and they've never talked of having any issues due to race (just normal kid/family stuff).

The kind of rent your talking about would rent you a very,very high end house. For way less than that you could buy a very nice home here.

Current rents around my area in the west valley (very nice,mixed area) are running $1200-1500 for a 4/3 2400+ sqft home with possibly a pool.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:38 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,780,962 times
Look, If you are looking for Phoenix to be like Atlanta, DC, New Orleans regarding the black population, forget about it....I'm an African-American female who moved from Charlotte who has adjusted quite nicely. Phoenix will very welcoming to you and your family. Forget what you've heard from others regarding Phoenix and AFrican-Americans, I think you will be surprised about the general feel of the area. Good luck with your move!

Old 09-14-2016, 10:15 AM

169 posts, read 278,961 times
Wait, you're planning to move to Phoenix without a job lined up? You're doing things backwards. Get a job first and then move.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:18 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,192,912 times
You will be able to rent a nice house for far less than what you've budgeted. You should rent first to get more familiar with the Valley and decide where you really want to live, but then yes, you should be buying and not wasting that much $$$ on rent.

As far as the race issues, what Ponderosa (and others) said.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:34 AM

445 posts, read 511,176 times
You and your kids will be fine. While there isn't a large, established African American community like many other cities, there really isn't an issue with racism here, at least not with African American folks. I lived most of my life in Chicago until moving out here 5 1/2 years ago and I've traveled all over the country...Phoenix honestly has about the fewest problems with race relations that I've seen anywhere. Neighborhoods here in Phoenix are segregated economically as opposed to by race, and people of different races tend to live in the same neighborhoods and interact with each other pretty regularly here as long as they're in the same economic place. There are certainly prejudiced people here like there are anywhere, but the Mexican American folks tend to get the brunt of it, mostly in the context of the issues surrounding illegal immigration as opposed to the overall distrust of different types of people that you see elsewhere.

The majority of the public schools in the city of Phoenix aren't very good at all, but there are several private schools that are good and many of the public schools in the surrounding suburbs are very good. If your price range for a rental home is what you say it is, you'll have as many options for both schools and places to live as you want. $2,500-$3,000 a month out here will allow you to live just about anywhere of your choice.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:28 AM

3,939 posts, read 6,677,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargeant79 View Post
You and your kids will be fine. While there isn't a large, established African American community like many other cities, there really isn't an issue with racism here, at least not with African American folks. I lived most of my life in Chicago until moving out here 5 1/2 years ago and I've traveled all over the country...Phoenix honestly has about the fewest problems with race relations that I've seen anywhere. Neighborhoods here in Phoenix are segregated economically as opposed to by race, and people of different races tend to live in the same neighborhoods and interact with each other pretty regularly here as long as they're in the same economic place. There are certainly prejudiced people here like there are anywhere, but the Mexican American folks tend to get the brunt of it, mostly in the context of the issues surrounding illegal immigration as opposed to the overall distrust of different types of people that you see elsewhere.

The majority of the public schools in the city of Phoenix aren't very good at all, but there are several private schools that are good and many of the public schools in the surrounding suburbs are very good. If your price range for a rental home is what you say it is, you'll have as many options for both schools and places to live as you want. $2,500-$3,000 a month out here will allow you to live just about anywhere of your choice.
This^^^^^^

Previous responders have covered this well. I think you and your kids will be fine. Just do your due diligence before you come. Have you ever been to Phoenix?

Old 09-14-2016, 07:14 PM

594 posts, read 693,607 times
" ...I keep hearing negative reviews concerning racism in Phoenix "

Really ????? I'm on City-Data everyday, and I can't recall anyone saying Phoenix was racist. Ohhhhhhhh, fell for it again. 1 post. Unbelievable.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:54 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,319,748 times
There is definitely racism here just as everywhere else, but imho it's not acted upon here. People keep their thoughts to themselves and others who agree with whatever those thoughts may be. Gotta go on the assumption that everyone here is armed as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: