Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2016, 02:26 AM

10 posts, read 39,047 times

Advertisements

Hello,

So we finally know that we will be heading to the Phoenix area this December and I am desperate for some specific guidance and recommendations, especially for schools. Gilbert and/or Chandler area really seem to fit most of what we are looking for, as far as family oriented and great schools, we have two boys ages 12 and 9. I am confused, however, on where to really narrow it down. Val Vista Lakes looks really nice and I love the amenities, but there seems to be conflicting reports on the schools for that community. Is there anyone with recent experience at an Elementary/Middle school that can give me updated information on the quality of the school environment? My youngest is high functioning autism, so it is very important that I find a school with a great reputation and ideally supportive teachers for kids on the spectrum. I would love specific school names if you have had a great experience, for Gilbert or Chandler area. I have also read that Chandler schools seem to be better, but which community should I look at then and what schools specifically. I think I'm feeling overwhelmed by the options, lol. I look forward to any and all suggestions as a starting point to look! Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 11:26 AM

165 posts, read 406,791 times
There is open enrollment for the schools in the area. As long as there is room, you can go to any school as long as you provide transportation. I currently live in the Higley school district, but have sent my kids to Chandler School district since they started school. Check out the schools nearby and look into boundary exemption / open enrollment options.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:36 AM

10 posts, read 39,047 times
That's good news that there is open enrollment. I'm just hoping to get recommendations on specific schools from people who have kids there now or recently that have attended in the area. I would be curious to know why you went outside of your area to the Chandler Schools?

Old 09-16-2016, 10:33 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,970,728 times
Both districts are good. Chandler has a year round school schedule while Gilbert does not. Some schools do better with IEP's for autistic students then others.

Here is a resource of private schools: Schools » Autism Society of Greater Phoenix

Maybe someone in that organization can help you with public schools.

This one is closest to Val Vista Lakes

Autism Academy for Education and Development K-12th grade: Private school for children with Autism
Gilbert Location (K-8th)
1540 N. Burk Street
Gilbert, AZ 85234

Old 01-26-2019, 01:46 PM

2 posts, read 1,415 times
Can I ask Which school did you decided on? Have you had a good experience? We are trying to make the same decision between those 2 districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area