Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2016, 05:24 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,364,460 times

Advertisements

I guess east Phoenix could be grown into the mix as well. Would be first time home owner and a home under 150 k.

How do these cities stack up in bills, taxes etc? I've heard many people complain about the City of Mesa but that's about all. Thoughts or opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 06:35 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
SFH in Tempe under 150 will be smaller, older homes. Sales tax in Tempe is high, but you get what you pay for, as far as I am concerned. Good park system, best public transit service in the Valley, nice library, good overall quality of life. Scottsdale pricing for SFH will put you in the same category. Things like gasoline tend to be more expensive. Mesa, I don't know as much about, except I have heard complaints about the city of Mesa utilities (in areas not served by SRP or APS)

Old 09-20-2016, 06:37 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,860,551 times
Scottsdale only has 2 bedroom condos in the southern part of the city for less then $150,000. Tempe is similar is that regard.

Tempe and Scottsdale are much more appealing but for $150,000 or less, it will be a condo.

Chandler is extremely nice and there are 70s and 80s era, town-homes in the northern part of the city that are 2 bedroom and less then $150,000.

If you are looking for a single-family home only Mesa have houses for less then $150,000 and most of them will either be on the Tempe/Mesa border area but in the city of Mesa around Alma School/Dobson/Country Club Drive or far east Mesa.

Property taxes are extremely low in Arizona so it isn't like some states where that is much of burden on a budget.

Old 09-20-2016, 06:55 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,274,050 times
Worrying about taxes when considering a property can be penny wise and pound foolish. Worry about location first and foremost

Old 09-20-2016, 09:41 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,943 times
If I am understanding your question it sounds as if you are concerned with costs like sales tax, utility costs and property taxes. If that is true, I think you will find these costs will not be that different between Phoenix, Tempe or Mesa. Generally, the biggest difference is going to be the school tax component of the property tax bill. Utility costs are very difficult to quantify, because the physical characteristics of the home will be much more a determining factor (single pane windows vs dual pane, block construction vs frame, newer AC vs older AC, etc.) than the location.

In general I would be much more concerned about the location in terms of lifestyle. How long is the commute to your job? Does the neighborhood offer the recreational activities that you enjoy? Will you be near friends and family? Are there stores and restaurants than you will want to frequent?

It would be much smarter to live in a neighborhood that you enjoy even if it costs you an extra $20 or $30 a month. Otherwise you will find yourself traveling all over the valley to find the things that you want which will cost you time and money.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:03 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,327,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Mesa, I don't know as much about, except I have heard complaints about the city of Mesa utilities (in areas not served by SRP or APS)
The City of Mesa electric utility only serves Downtown Mesa and the immediately surrounding area; the rest of Mesa is served by SRP (APS doesn't serve any part of Mesa). However, the city's gas utility serves most of the city except for the far eastern portion which is served by Southwest Gas (who I believe served the area well before the city annexed much of it).

Old 09-28-2016, 01:23 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,256,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
I guess east Phoenix could be grown into the mix as well. Would be first time home owner and a home under 150 k.
For under $150K, you're usually not going to be buying in a nice area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
If I am understanding your question it sounds as if you are concerned with costs like sales tax, utility costs and property taxes. If that is true, I think you will find these costs will not be that different between Phoenix, Tempe or Mesa. Generally, the biggest difference is going to be the school tax component of the property tax bill.
This is especially true in the independent/unincorporated communities like Sun City & Sun City West where there are no school taxes, and property taxes in general are lower anyway. Taxes would be a valid reason to consider where to live, especially if a person is older, has no kids, perhaps is on a limited income, and has no use for public schools. I highly recommend the age restricted communities for that reason alone, but there are other benefits (and some drawbacks) to those areas as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
In general I would be much more concerned about the location in terms of lifestyle. How long is the commute to your job? Does the neighborhood offer the recreational activities that you enjoy? Will you be near friends and family? Are there stores and restaurants than you will want to frequent?
I agree. Lifestyle is one of the reasons why a lot of younger singles prefer to live in cities like Scottsdale, or even in the more centralized parts of Phoenix: closer to restaurants, bars, nightlife, and even employment in many cases. Suburbs are more of a fit for the families with kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area