Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 03:52 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,982,774 times

Advertisements

Most of Chandler, Gilbert, and Queen Creek are way too suburban and car dependent for the cities to heavily invest in public transportation. I agree that Queen Creek should at the very least have an express route for commuters but I just don't see any vast improvements in those areas in the foreseeable future. I just don't think a lot of people would bother with public transportation in those areas if we're just talking about buses. Now if the light rail extended into Chandler/Gilbert that would be awesome. At least into both cities downtown areas which are very attractive places to hangout these days.

Old 09-27-2016, 04:13 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,288,256 times
Can't stand buses clogging up the roads. I don't care to see more in Chandler but thanks anyway Pink Jazz

Old 09-27-2016, 04:14 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,364,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
Now if the light rail extended into Chandler/Gilbert that would be awesome. .
I think lines along Chandler Boulevard/Williams Field/Power Road, as well as a line along Gilbert Road would be great ideas. If you remember my past thread about my dream light rail system, I named the Chandler/Williams Field/Power line the Pink Line and the Gilbert Road line the Gold Line. I would think my Pink Line idea would be a mall shopper's dream come true, since it would connect three major malls (Chandler Fashion Center, SanTan Village, and Superstition Springs Center).

Old 09-27-2016, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I think lines along Chandler Boulevard/Williams Field/Power Road, as well as a line along Gilbert Road would be great ideas. If you remember my past thread about my dream light rail system, I named the Chandler/Williams Field/Power line the Pink Line and the Gilbert Road line the Gold Line. I would think my Pink Line idea would be a mall shopper's dream come true, since it would connect three major malls (Chandler Fashion Center, SanTan Village, and Superstition Springs Center).
No. I don't think mall shoppers care in the least about linkages to other malls with the exact same stores. LOL

Besides most mall shoppers have and prefer to use their own vehicles. No one likes using buses, it is out of necessity that some do, but there is not pent up demand for it in these areas. I have no interest in paying for it. Light rail, sure.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:35 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,364,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
No. I don't think mall shoppers care in the least about linkages to other malls with the exact same stores. LOL

Besides most mall shoppers have and prefer to use their own vehicles. No one likes using buses, it is out of necessity that some do, but there is not pent up demand for it in these areas. I have no interest in paying for it. Light rail, sure.
The only anchor stores in common between the three malls are Macy's and Dillard's, and even the Macy's at SanTan Village has a more limited selection of brands than the other two (the SanTan Macy's doesn't carry the main IZOD line for example). Only Chandler Fashion Center has a Nordstrom, and only Superstition Springs has a JCPenney. If malls weren't important catchment areas for transit ridership, then transit agencies would not be building park and rides at them.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
The only anchor stores in common between the three malls are Macy's and Dillard's, and even the Macy's at SanTan Village has a more limited selection of brands than the other two (the SanTan Macy's doesn't carry the main IZOD line for example). Only Chandler Fashion Center has a Nordstrom, and only Superstition Springs has a JCPenney. If malls weren't important catchment areas for transit ridership, then transit agencies would not be building park and rides at them.
You aren't going to see people riding buses from mall to mall, not happening.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:41 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,361,694 times
Quote:
If malls weren't important catchment areas for transit ridership, then transit agencies would not be building park and rides at them.
I always thought that the main reason transit agencies put park and rides (light rail/bus stops) in mall parking lots, is because of the huge, massive sea of asphalt already there that is pretty much unused during the day, especially on the edges of the parking lot. I never once thought that the reason was to be close to shopping, but rather the easy access to empty asphalt as far as the eye can see! It's interesting to see how two people can look at the same thing in different ways.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:23 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,507,229 times
The west valley is the area most in need of mass transit improvements and I don't mean just more busses.

Freeways, light rail, and commuter rail are all part of a comprehensive mass transit system that any large metropolitan area needs.

The west valley is lacking in all these compared to many parts of Phoenix and much of the east valley, it will be many years before the reliever freeways like SR 30 are finished, let alone broken ground.

It will be even longer before light rail comes our way.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:19 AM

61 posts, read 46,075 times
Asufan logic strikes again.

I believe buses are even more crucial to connecting our city than light rail.
Bus systems are very adaptable, cheap to implement and expand, and much more environmentally friendly than a car. The busses in Phoenix run on CNg, a much less harmful fuel.

Bus routes and stops can be deployed, changed, and removed as need be without much monetary loss. Although a bus looks like it "clogs up the street" it actually takes up much less space than those people would use in vehicles, even with 4 people to a car.

Light rail has its benefits and uses. Mainly as a quick connecter between distant areas. Not as a means to get to your final destination. Light rail is a huge investment in an area, and it shows in the developments that follow the rail.

If you ever expect light rail to get to these exurbs you call home, you will have to get over the fact that busses are required. And the city agrees with my views, we have bought over 120 brand new busses in 2016 alone.

Busses to begin will help people like you get out of the mindset that they can leave and arrive anywhere on a whim. If you check the schedule and/or know when the busses come, you will never have to wait more than a few minutes. Most of the problem you foresee here is the lack of foresight, which is something everyone in this country needs to work on.

For example I can leave my house downtown and be anywhere in Tempe via light rail and bus within 30 minutes. A car would take a minimum of 20 minutes in great traffic. Downtown to Scottsdale is about 30-45 minutes, and with the addition of a bicycle you would reduce that even moreso.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:53 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,286,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade007 View Post
Light rail needs to be expanded valleywide. Even to Scottsdale. I don't care if the local residents whine and moan about it.
It's in the early stages of being extended to various parts of the metro area. One of the plans is to build a light rail line in the I10 median to the west Valley, but that won't happen for many years (if at all). Light rail along Camelback into downtown Scottsdale would be good to have, but Scottsdale is refusing it, mostly for economic reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area