Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 01:44 PM

8,056 posts, read 12,345,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nala1908 View Post
That is where your logic takes a turn for the worse. We do not need more lanes, we do not need to build relief freeways.

The higher traffic levels are a great thing. We do not want to continue the sprawl. By having a limit, people will choose to locate closer. Home developers will not build new houses, destroying the environment and increasing our footprint on the land.

More expansion costs money immediately and over time with maintenance. These communities do not produce anything, they add nothing to our gdp. They can not sustain the infrastructure(roads,pipes, wires, fire, police etc)

People relocating toward the city centre will help reduce air pollution and destruction of our environment, they will be happier and more active if they spend less time commuting. And they will have more money if they reduce the use of the car entirety.

The money you pay for a car and gas and insurance will never eclipse the extra cost you would pay for a closer residence. The time you save can be used for personal activity, not risking your life driving to work.

The idea that you need 2000 plus sqft in a house is unsustainable, do you even use half the space you currently have? I know I sure don't.
While I personally prefer infill, density, and upward development over outward suburban sprawl, you have to understand that not everybody likes that lifestyle, or has a need for your idea of growth. Different strokes for different folks. That's why it's ridiculous to mandate what kind of development should take place, when it should be the free market that decides. No matter how much you push, dictate, or stomp your feet, there will always be a demand for suburban living. Those with families and pets likely won't have any use for a smaller dwelling in the middle of the city ... however, perhaps they will some day when they're older and become empty nesters.

Your NIMBY attitude about freeways is also severely flawed. Wide freeways & more of them are needed, and not just because of outward growth. You may have noticed that Phoenix is a major transportation hub where large amounts of cargo comes through. It's a large distribution center, and happens to be located on a major route between the two coasts. With more cargo traffic coming in and passing through, this will mean the existing freeways will become even more congested unless we widen them and/or build more of them. This is necessary in order to transport goods for everybody's survival. Pull your head out and look at the big picture!

Old 10-18-2016, 02:54 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,319,597 times
Quote:
Asufan. You have **** in that space, you do not utilize it
Hmm... ok. Pretty sure we do utilize all the space as every room has a purpose. I don't NEED that much space but I prefer it and I love my 3 car garage, my cars and driving.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:01 PM

61 posts, read 46,305 times
You prefer to be unsustainable. How cute. You are the problem with America and the world.
If you analyse all the stuff and space you have, vs how often you use that space or those items, you would realize how much money and time you wasted. I prefer not to work my entire life to have a larger space to store things I will never use.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:17 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,590 posts, read 14,722,824 times
Quote:
You prefer to be unsustainable. How cute. You are the problem with America and the world.
If you analyse all the stuff and space you have, vs how often you use that space or those items, you would realize how much money and time you wasted. I prefer not to work my entire life to have a larger space to store things I will never use.
I am a city dweller as well, but if you stop suburban sprawl, you get San Francisco, where housing costs over $1,000/sq ft to buy or $5/sq ft per month to rent. And we don't have the wages that San Francisco does either

Old 10-18-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I have a feeling you just graduated from college and have all of those cute ideals fresh in your memory lol. Start making some real money and having some kids and somehow your wants/needs change. The only thing that may be "wasted space" in my house is the dining room, but it looks nice, gives us breathing room between the main living area and the kids rooms, and is utilized 4-5 times a year and at Holidays. And I'm not worried about wasted money, it's a nice house but when we bought it, the mortgage was less than 10% of our monthly gross pay, and we have had our incomes go up since then, so it is very reasonable.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:28 PM

445 posts, read 519,226 times
Quote:
This reminds me of that one South Park episode where everyone gets hybrid cars, Kyle's family moves to San Francisco, and a cloud of "smug" engulfs the town.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:51 PM

8,081 posts, read 7,007,507 times
Quote:
You know, I used to feel that I would want to remain mobile, but as I've accumulated stuff, and you will, one day you'll want a house with a garage. I'm in the central city, but by your definition I would be unsustainable. It's too expensive in Phoenix to have an urban lifestyle, and even then it's not a great urban space because you still need a car, which needs to be stored somewhere, I have dogs so they need space outside that's enclosed from the street, etc. Thats a tall order in the central city compared to what you can get in the suburbs.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
You know, I used to feel that I would want to remain mobile, but as I've accumulated stuff, and you will, one day you'll want a house with a garage. I'm in the central city, but by your definition I would be unsustainable. It's too expensive in Phoenix to have an urban lifestyle, and even then it's not a great urban space because you still need a car, which needs to be stored somewhere, I have dogs so they need space outside that's enclosed from the street, etc. Thats a tall order in the central city compared to what you can get in the suburbs.
The garage is huge especially if you have kids. We have our 3 vehicles in there plus kids bikes, our bikes, baseball and football equipment, tools, building materials (spare tiles for our rental properties for example), ladders, Christmas lights, etc. thankfully it oversized at 26 X 34. wouldn't want the cars exposed to the heat

Old 10-18-2016, 09:00 PM

61 posts, read 46,305 times
Asu fan, we already know where you got your education. Asu where you learn that money doesn't matter and space and resources are infinite. You do not need a car to live here. Your kids can walk too, or bike.

Hate to break it to you but it's hotter getting in a warm car every day than just walking or riding a bike.
Plus you must then spend more precious time "working out in your gym" muscles you never use in real day to day activities.

You have all this stuff that is just sitting. Waiting for you to use it. And you think that's sustainable or an efficient use of your money?

Old 10-18-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Asu fan, we already know where you got your education. Asu where you learn that money doesn't matter and space and resources are infinite. You do not need a car to live here. Your kids can walk too, or bike.

Hate to break it to you but it's hotter getting in a warm car every day than just walking or riding a bike.
Plus you must then spend more precious time "working out in your gym" muscles you never use in real day to day activities.

You have all this stuff that is just sitting. Waiting for you to use it. And you think that's sustainable or an efficient use of your money?
Get off your "sustainability" nonsense, I heard that buzzword in college too bro, then real life happens. you don't need to worry about efficient use of my money, I have everything funded or planned for including college for my kids and my early retirement. Do you, Mr Sustainable? Life is short, if you're happy with your minimalistic existence, I'm happy for you. doesn't work for me or many others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area