Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 04:42 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,965,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Problem is, I cant think of any hotels near the light rail in Tempe. Most people would have to drive to downtown Tempe, pay for Tempe's STUPID parking, then take the train? If there is no parking fees at the Cubs' stadium, I cant see the advantage of taking light rail.
I can think of a handful just off the top of my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 03:20 PM

594 posts, read 699,426 times
Default Don't fall for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
99 percent of posters in Phoenix forum have learned one thing...and now you're learning !.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:54 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,970,898 times
Quote:
Like? Im struggling to come up with some that are right by the rail. And besides, like I said above, most of the CL fans stay in Scottsdale, not Tempe. Spending all that money for a minority of fans to ride to the park for just a few short weeks seems like overkill.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:59 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,282,200 times
Quote:
Like? Im struggling to come up with some that are right by the rail. And besides, like I said above, most of the CL fans stay in Scottsdale, not Tempe. Spending all that money for a minority of fans to ride to the park for just a few short weeks seems like overkill.
Residence Inn (newer mid rise), Mission Palms, Courtyard on Ash, a high rise is planned at the Monte's site (Kimton?), there's also some on Town Lake which are not by light rail, but would be on the streetcar route. Not all baseball fans stay in Scottsdale anyway, all of the hotels in the valley are packed in the winter, even out by me and Chandler has no spring training. I remember going to Keegans Grill by my house and the waitress said they were busy with Spring Training people (there are several hotels nearby)

Old 10-03-2016, 10:09 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,282,200 times
I think what Tempe wants is for anyone that goes to the Cubs games, or any event at the stadium, to pregame in Tempe rather than Mesa. I don't know if it has anything to do with getting people to stay in Tempe, because frankly those hotels are already full in the Winter anyway. People that go to spring training almost always eat and drink out before the 1:00 games, having a streetcar would convince many to park in Tempe and ride the streetcar, and for those that are already in the hotels to stay in Tempe rather than drive to Mesa before the game.

Old 10-03-2016, 10:19 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,965,605 times
Quote:
I doubt that, Tempe is packed, Phoenix is packed, even Surprise and Glendale are packed. I think you're underestimating the scale of Spring Training.

You're right that a lot of CL fans stay in Scottsdale, but I think "most" is an overstatement. And I think you haven't been in Tempe during CL.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:21 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,970,898 times
Quote:
I doubt that, Tempe is packed, Phoenix is packed, even Surprise and Glendale are packed. I think you're underestimating the scale of Spring Training.

You're right that a lot of CL fans stay in Scottsdale, but I think "most" is an overstatement. And I think you haven't been in Tempe during CL.
I had the very unfortunate time of being on Mill when 3 buses dropped off Giants fans.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:00 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,342,946 times
Quote:
If there is no parking fees at the Cubs' stadium, I cant see the advantage of taking light rail.
Drinking and driving. Can stay at a hotel in Tempe and take the street car to Cubs games and get plastered!

Old 10-06-2016, 12:14 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,504,591 times
Quote:
I thought the streetcar is being financed by Tempe, not the RPTA.

If so, I don't see how the money part would be a concern to you unless you live in Tempe.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:16 PM

431 posts, read 98,575 times
Quote:
Seems like vast majority of the Spring Training/Cactus League crowd stays in Scottsdale, not sure how this would be a giant benefit.
Yes, there is correct. Some of those people who stays at hotels in Scottsdale, Phoenix, Tempe or someplace else. It's their choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Maybe he's hoping that it will entice more people to stay in Tempe and use the streetcar to get to Sloan?
Some of them who staying in Tempe and some of those people who staying in Scottsdale. Lots of Cubs, Reds, Indians, A's, Angels, Mariners, Giants, Dodgers, Brewers, White Sox, Rangers, Rockies, Padres fans who came to Arizona to watch the Spring Training games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area