Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 09:34 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,338,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I posted this article on my Facebook the other day, and a friend replied to tell me that the Onion is a fake news site...like I thought this was actually going to happen

I had to let them know I did understand what The Onion was about, but the article wasn't too far from the truth
I'm a very sarcastic person, so I love The Onion.

Obviously there are still people out there who don't know what The Onion is about or people (like your friend) who like to point out to other people who post something by the website, that it is fake, even though the original poster knows that already (like yourself).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 01:03 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,270,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I love the Onion. This is hilarious and so true. The burbs keep expanding like a parasite. I remember moving here and areas that were total BFE are now completely developed and suburban.
Hilarious, yes. True? Not so much. This article isn't supposed to be taken seriously. Phoenix metro will always continue to grow outward ... although, the high demand for far flung suburban living is dwindling. I can actually foresee suburbs that were once considered far flung (Gilbert, Queen Creek, Surprise, Peoria, etc.) to start growing more inward. Infill is the way to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
ok? I have said I am a native multiple times on multiple forums here on this website. I have lived in West Valley for about two decades (the past four years have been for half the year in West Valley and the other half in Tucson). Went from the Peoria/Sun City Grand border to north Glendale (Arrowhead) to central Glendale near the community college and ASU West.
He has a sour attitude toward natives, and actually claims that they do most of the complaining & are the most negative. He must not realize how negative he comes across when he makes those statements. I've noticed that he doesn't contribute much value to these discussions anyway, so it's probably best to put him on your ignore list.

Old 10-08-2016, 04:31 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,882,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I posted this article on my Facebook the other day, and a friend replied to tell me that the Onion is a fake news site...like I thought this was actually going to happen

I had to let them know I did understand what The Onion was about, but the article wasn't too far from the truth
The Onion is fake?

As long as you don't ruin the Great Pumpkin for me, I can live with the Onion being fake.

Old 10-08-2016, 06:43 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,820,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
He has a sour attitude toward natives, and actually claims that they do most of the complaining & are the most negative. He must not realize how negative he comes across when he makes those statements. I've noticed that he doesn't contribute much value to these discussions anyway, so it's probably best to put him on your ignore list.
He definitely does. I'm probably one of the more critical posters but I feel my comments aren't fictional and are in line with reality. My post on the last page wasn't even being critical, I just addressed how much change is happening. When I lived out there I went to three different elementary schools without even moving, that's how fast it was growing they had to constantly change the boundaries. And I was only up there until 4th grade.

To be overwhelmingly positive or overwhelmingly negative is a bias that discredits anybody. I'm more negative but I do praise Phoenix from time to time. But Sun City quite literally was the boundary in the NW Valley, it's definitely no longer the case, shows even in my short time on Earth how much a place can change. Now the 303 is there.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:10 AM

1,292 posts, read 3,476,621 times
That Onion article is hysterical!

Old 10-10-2016, 08:21 PM

594 posts, read 699,224 times
Default ".....I'm more NEGATIVE but I do praise Phoenix from time to time "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
He definitely does. I'm probably one of the more critical posters but I feel my comments aren't fictional and are in line with reality. My post on the last page wasn't even being critical, I just addressed how much change is happening. When I lived out there I went to three different elementary schools without even moving, that's how fast it was growing they had to constantly change the boundaries. And I was only up there until 4th grade.

To be overwhelmingly positive or overwhelmingly negative is a bias that discredits anybody. I'm more negative but I do praise Phoenix from time to time. But Sun City quite literally was the boundary in the NW Valley, it's definitely no longer the case, shows even in my short time on Earth how much a place can change. Now the 303 is there.
I didn't say it...................SHE DID !

Old 10-11-2016, 09:22 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,503,827 times
I know the reports in the Onion are supposed to be tongue-in-cheek but why did it single out Phoenix?

Every large metropolitan area has sprawl, even the denser eastern cities like Boston, New York, and Philadelphia have what seems like a endless mass of sprawling suburban areas outside the core cities.

Los Angeles is the epitome of sprawl. If it wasn't for the ocean the Los Angeles metropolitan area could easily expand halfway to Asia.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:38 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,882,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Los Angeles is the epitome of sprawl. If it wasn't for the ocean the Los Angeles metropolitan area could easily expand halfway to Asia.
Don't worry - Asia already expanded to LA.

Old 10-12-2016, 12:10 AM

431 posts, read 98,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
Yes, it will be so extremely overcrowded. Too many people who lived in LA, South Florida, New York City, Chicago and etc.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:59 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,503,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah62 View Post
I have to admit that was a good one, not very politically correct but it gave me a chuckle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area