Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Phoenix become its own city and county?
Yes 7 19.44%
No 27 75.00%
Unsure 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 11:32 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,628,760 times

Advertisements

Do you think the city of Phoenix should become its own city and county? Basically, Phoenix is split from Maricopa county, becomes Phoenix county. What this does is consolidate all the services into the county such as police/fire department, trash services, water, utilities and other government departments. It has more local control.

Would this is a good idea, and have advantages? What about the disadvantages?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 01:32 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,451 times
I take exception to the grammar in this. Phoenix is already its own city. I believe you meant "consolidated city", which means that the city and county governments are merged as a few other states have done. I believe Phoenix already has a lot of those services you listed as being under the current system, such as police, fire and other government departments. I don't think merging would really change anything except for different county taxes and the appointment of a new a county seat for what's left of Maricopa County. As for my opinion, I have no vested interest or investments in Phoenix, so I don't really care what it does.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:01 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,807,379 times
Is this Phoenix proper or Phoenix metro? I would find it odd for Maricopa County to still have to provide services around Phoenix (proper or metro) which may may thinks difficult logistically. Especially if this is just about Phoenix proper.

I voted unsure.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:52 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
No. What would be left of Maricopa County would be a donut with a big hole in it. There's really not as much duplication of services as you imply. Maricopa County doesn't do trash collection (it does operate landfills), or water, or utilities (gas/electric). City of Phoenix only handles water, not electric or gas. I don't see big savings here, with two counties splitting the tax base one has now.

Old 10-09-2016, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Is this Phoenix proper or Phoenix metro? I would find it odd for Maricopa County to still have to provide services around Phoenix (proper or metro) which may may thinks difficult logistically. Especially if this is just about Phoenix proper.

I voted unsure.
It would be Phoenix proper. Cities such as San Francisco, Wyandotte county (Kansas City) and Denver operate in their own counties itself which would be consolidated.

Old 10-09-2016, 03:07 AM

This gives you an idea.

Maricopa county is a huge county and Phoenix proper would have better local control if operate in its own county.

Old 10-09-2016, 03:50 AM

123 posts, read 103,898 times
It seems pretty well-controlled to me.

Plus, the name Maricopa County sounds pretty bad ass. I would want to keep that name if I lived in Phoenix.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:17 AM

6,137 posts, read 3,860,551 times
Would never happen because Phoenix is much, much poorer and has much less of a tax base per-capita then the suburbs.

I have not even heard about the possibility of that happening.

Usually when places become city/county they merge and become a larger government unit: Louisville/Jefferson County.

I don't recall about a larger county ever becoming a smaller one with just the city of county in the last century. Maybe over a century ago, it was common but not anymore.

Denver was the county seat of Arapahoe County until 1902 but then formed it's own city/county.

Arapahoe County, CO - Official Website - About

Although, Maricopa County would look better on census figures since the suburbs are so much wealthier collectively then the city of Phoenix.

Old 10-09-2016, 12:05 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,445,057 times
No, because regional planning at the county level is important, especially when it comes to transportation. The Maricopa Association of Governments plays a significant role in the development of freeways, bus service, and light rail. Part of the funding for those projects comes from a countywide tax, Proposition 400. If Phoenix were by itself in its own county, I would fear a situation like the one in Atlanta, in which the city is in Fulton County and most suburbs are in other counties. That balkanization has made it difficult for the local transit agency, MARTA, to extend its services to a large part of the metropolitan area. The only proposal I've ever heard seriously discussed is breaking off the East Valley into its own county, but even that idea never seems to gain much traction.

Old 10-09-2016, 12:19 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,090,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
The Maricopa Association of Governments plays a significant role in the development of freeways, bus service, and light rail.
Actually MAG specs are used statewide for much more infrastructure than that. Most utilities use MAG specs as a benchmark.

I say no. Why do we need another .gov agency? Don't we have enough? This is the only thing I do not like about prop 205, it creates another .gov agency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area