Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 10:54 PM

1 posts, read 877 times

Advertisements

What do you guys think about this major change?

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...-historic.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 11:41 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
If there's a way to keep chains away then I think it's fine. The real arts scene moved west to Grand a year ago, what is there now, is perfect. Roosevelt Row now has the bones to differentiate itself into the urban space we've craved for decades.

For those that want the gritty street art scene that was Roosevelt not too long ago, go west, you'll feel at home again.

This article casts the redevelopment in a different light.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/arts/...n-2017-8750133

Old 10-20-2016, 09:54 AM

218 posts, read 350,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzCardinals11 View Post
What do you guys think about this major change?

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...-historic.html
Just another reason to leave the city, and go to a more culturally and intellectually more sophisticated place like LA or Orange Co.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:11 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
Instead of 89A hop on 10 west and don't let the cholla get you on the way out...........

Old 10-20-2016, 10:51 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona89A View Post
Just another reason to leave the city, and go to a more culturally and intellectually more sophisticated place like LA or Orange Co.
Those are two places I would not have chose to define the idea of culture and intellect

Unless you were being facetious - then my apologies

Old 10-20-2016, 02:17 PM

61 posts, read 46,011 times
I know none of you actually live in this area. But flowers is a great deli. They serve up the best sandwiches in Phoenix for sure.

I think the change will of course be for the better. Currently buds glass shop is on the street that is slated to be changed so hopefully they get to remain in the area

The flowers owner has told me he is trying to move to more compact space in the building after the remodel, as it says in the article. This will be good as the current location has no seating space and a very old vibe. This area is developing fast and newer more modern retail spaces will really help increase the draw to the area. There are 5-6 empty blocks just south of this area between the bio highschool and here that would be perfect for more mixed use or residential developments. The density has to start somewhere and this looks like it I'll be here

Old 10-20-2016, 03:06 PM

2,789 posts, read 7,452,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nala1908 View Post
I know none of you actually live in this area. But flowers is a great deli. They serve up the best sandwiches in Phoenix for sure.

I think the change will of course be for the better. Currently buds glass shop is on the street that is slated to be changed so hopefully they get to remain in the area

The flowers owner has told me he is trying to move to more compact space in the building after the remodel, as it says in the article. This will be good as the current location has no seating space and a very old vibe. This area is developing fast and newer more modern retail spaces will really help increase the draw to the area. There are 5-6 empty blocks just south of this area between the bio highschool and here that would be perfect for more mixed use or residential developments. The density has to start somewhere and this looks like it I'll be here
I also like the sandwiches at Flowers, but I'm not sure I understand how a more compact space will allow more seating? Currently, there's just room for one person to dine with Ms. Pac-Man. If there's less space, where would customers sit?

The blocks you describe are largely city-owned and set aside for further expansion of the biomedical campus. They'll be developed, but probably not as residential or mixed use. That type of development will be more likely in other portions of Downtown a few blocks away.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:13 PM

The article says they will be having a dining area with a setup similar to the desoto market. I believe the current building is not up to code for a seating area as it has no public bathroom.

Also none of those blocks along 7th street are penned for the biomedical campus. They are city owned, but will most likely be sold to developers or leased as has been done on 3rd and 4th streets

Old 10-21-2016, 06:03 AM

2,789 posts, read 7,452,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nala1908 View Post
The article says they will be having a dining area with a setup similar to the desoto market. I believe the current building is not up to code for a seating area as it has no public bathroom.

Also none of those blocks along 7th street are penned for the biomedical campus. They are city owned, but will most likely be sold to developers or leased as has been done on 3rd and 4th streets
I heard the same thing about the bathroom and its effect on the current seating (or lack of it) at Flowers. If there's going to be a common dining room shared by Flowers and other tenants in the new development, that's good news.

As for the biomedical campus, here's a map of its boundaries. I'm not sure if we're talking about the same blocks or not. It's also possible that some blocks currently designated for the biomedical campus will eventually be RFP'd for other uses if not needed for the biomedical applications originally envisioned:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...iqdNqttdRft7CA

Last edited by exit2lef; 10-21-2016 at 06:24 AM..

Old 10-21-2016, 03:17 PM

Yeah that is the law for any establishment selling food. And yes those are the blocks for the medical campus. But notice the blocks along 7th Street will not be apart of this. The holiday inn currently located on Fillmore is going to be closed down. And I assume the property will be rolled into this plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: