Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 10:36 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,102,788 times

Advertisements

The Scottsdale Planning Department is not banning anybody based on brand, as that would be unconstitutional and would also open themselves up to lawsuit. They can restrict certain types of businesses (like adult-oriented, etc) to be certain distances from schools, churches, or residential areas etc., and they can restrict layouts and density of commercial uses, but not brands. Now, there my be tenant restrictions in a shopping center that would keep out a certain retailer or type of retailer as it would conflict with an existing tenant, but that's a private matter confined to a particular lease agreement and has nothing to do with the City restricting anything.

Also, do you think it just might have something to do with those retailers not decided to locate in Scottsdale for other reasons, like not finding suitable land, or not focusing on it because they don't feel it fits their target customer demographics?

Spoiler
(Disclaimer: former urban planner/economic developer now working in real estate development)

Old 10-21-2016, 01:01 PM

24,552 posts, read 26,111,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona89A View Post
I'm a west coast native who appreciates retailers who offer great values, so when I observe a city banning stores presumably because they generate less tax revenue, because they offer lower cost products, I do not appreciate such policies.

Thinking about this thought I'd see what you think.

There are no del tacos in the city limits of Scottsdale. And, only one metro PCS in south Scottsdale.

Also, only two Walmarts, in fact, Cave Creek gets all the taxes from north Scottsdale residents, with their new Walmart on the Scottsdale county line (Freudian slip, I won't fix this. lol )

Just one Costco, should be another in South Scottsdale.

No Whole Foods, either, which would be a real winner for taxes. Looks like the City, like most of the state, dislikes big box stores.

I sure hope Littlefield isn't elected as Scottsdale mayor as he is very anti business.

The most pro business area in the Southwest is Riverside county, except Palm Springs.

San Diego metro also anti business in terms of retail. Carlsbad bans Stater Brothers, the best grocer on planet earth.

I'd like to see all the stores represented where they are now underrepresented. The sales taxes help all of us.

Thoughts???
You will find a Stater Bros Market in Carlsbad here. 2687 Gateway Rd.
Carlsbad, CA 92009-1726

Old 10-21-2016, 01:35 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,030,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I was surprised that there were any Del Taco or Taco Bells in Arizona at all, I would think with all of the local Mom and Pop mexican chains and choices to choose from, the national chains would have avoided Arizona all together, but I guess the limited amount that are in Arizona are making enough money to stay open.
For some reason though I find Taco Bell and Green Burrito restaurants to have tastier food than your ....o's restaurants. It's like Taco Bell has some mystery sauce that's so good. WHY can't they leave the steak XL Nachos on the menu year round

Old 10-21-2016, 01:47 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,742,403 times
Awesome thread! Gettin my popcorn.

Old 10-22-2016, 01:03 AM

218 posts, read 351,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
There is a Popeye's chicken in Scottsdale and another on the Indian reservation. So, this basically disproves the whole rant given it's not like chicken places have some high-class reputation. There's also a KFC serving the southern part of the city's chicken needs.

There are also dollar stores throughout much of Scottsdale including in upscale areas like the Dollar Tree at FLW and Via Linda.

Please note there are very few Del Taco's in the Valley. There are only 14 in the whole Valley according to their website when I search for restaurants near Scottsdale.

Also, south Scottsdale is served by the Costco on 44th and Thomas. It's not like they Costco's every two miles or anything. There's also the Airpark one and the PV Mall one. Plenty of Costco's within five miles or so of almost everyone.

I also don't think it's even legal or feasible to "ban" certain brands but not others. This sort of thing leads to lots of lawsuits.

Not sure what you're trying to say about Walmarts...there's one in the Airpark area, one on the reservation at Indian Bend, and another nearby at PV Mall. Should they start building more big box stores in the far north part of the city? If you live up there, is that what you actually want, more big box stores instead of what's left of the open desert?
City councils and planning departments ban retail establishments all the time, for lots of reasons.
To compare, the Reno, Carson City, Gardnerville, area has about 350000 people, has 3 costcoes, and 7 or 8 Walmarts, and a del taco around every corner, it seems. 230000 people in Scottsdale, and that number goes way up in the winter.

Deer Valley was planned recently. They ban metro PCS and del taco. Their Walmart in the happy valley center is over capacity. I've never seen a more crowded Walmart, and the city refuses to allow another one.

The Scottsdale airpark Costco also way over capacity. City won't build another.

Old 10-22-2016, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
The Scottsdale Planning Department is not banning anybody based on brand, as that would be unconstitutional and would also open themselves up to lawsuit. They can restrict certain types of businesses (like adult-oriented, etc) to be certain distances from schools, churches, or residential areas etc., and they can restrict layouts and density of commercial uses, but not brands. Now, there my be tenant restrictions in a shopping center that would keep out a certain retailer or type of retailer as it would conflict with an existing tenant, but that's a private matter confined to a particular lease agreement and has nothing to do with the City restricting anything.

Also, do you think it just might have something to do with those retailers not decided to locate in Scottsdale for other reasons, like not finding suitable land, or not focusing on it because they don't feel it fits their target customer demographics?

Spoiler
(Disclaimer: former urban planner/economic developer now working in real estate development)
Its not unconstitutional, since in many cities, the city works with developers to determine the choice of retailers, size of stores, parking spaces, as you know. Scottsdale has very heavy handed top down planning.

Target demographics.... Del Taco and Metro PCS serve everyone. Metro PCs has the cheapest cell phones, but there are plenty of lower income folks in Scottsdale and Deer Valley.

Old 10-22-2016, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
That tin hat must get uncomfortable. There are tons of fast food restaurants and big box retailers throughout the city (too many IMO). Your theory is absurd.
Since there are so many, then why don't they like del Taco?

Old 10-22-2016, 07:18 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,756,471 times
Quote:
The thought that Del Taco just isn't that popular has never even crossed your mind right?

10/2015: So, long Texas: Del Taco to close 12 restaurants, cut more than 200 jobs before Christmas. Four years after announcing a major expansion in Texas, Lake Forest-based Del Taco is closing all but one of its 13 Lone Star locations, resulting a 218 layoffs, according to records filed with the Texas Workforce

Del Taco - CLOSED - Mexican - 2223 E Florence Blvd, Casa Grande ...
Del Taco - CLOSED - Restaurants - 1530 W Grant Rd, Tucson, AZ ...
Del Taco - CLOSED - Restaurants - 960 E University Dr, Tempe, AZ ...

Old 10-22-2016, 09:48 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,689,830 times
Quote:
Maybe there's simply not enough demand? Before going off into conspiracy theory land, why not consider the more logical answer?

Old 10-22-2016, 09:54 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,987,747 times
Quote:
Del Taco has been a sinking ship for years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area